Where is this?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Jeff, you get this one. No need to make you pinpoint it. I'd say most people on this forum have driven by it. If you cross the railroad tracks at the southern end of Mount Misery Road, you can't miss it.

Bullock.PNG

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
This out of the way place has a name but no story. If you have been there you will recognize the photos. The stories behind the name have always been in question. I bring it up again because maybe someone will know. Perhaps those of you good at tracing surveys can shed some light on the property. It was apparently upscale.
IMG_0005s.JPG

IMG_0008s.JPG

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Yes it is Bob, Al.
The question is how did it get the name Nash's Cabin? There have been a couple of theory's but I never heard anything definitive. Definitely not your common Piney abode. A nice floor, flag stone, block work and a place for a stove, if I remember right.
http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.70685698631472&lng=-74.4922626760864&z=16&type=nj1995&gpx=

There was a Geocache there once and I found this entry. Maybe we can get it verified.

"The story, from Ted Gordon: The cabin on Bucks Run commonly known as Ogden Nash's cabin was owned by a man from New York with the last name of Bloomer. Mr. Bloomer rented it out on a shortterm seasonal basis and it was used by scouts, hunting clubs, etc. Ted Gordon himself used the cabin. The cabin was frequently squatted in as well. It was also used by Mr. Ogden Nash, hence, "Ogden Nash's Cabin". Ted saw correspondence (a letter) written by Ogden Nash to Mr. Bloomer in which he talked about coming down for a particular weekend. This letter was owned by a gentleman in Riverton that has since passed away. Before Ogden Nash's death, he was in the Walter Reed Hospital in Washington DC. Ted tried to visit him before his death, but at that point only the family was allowed in to see him. Shortly after that the cabin burnt and in the 1980s was subsequently vandalized. From "GhostTowns of Southern New Jersey" Yahoo group."

http://www.geocaching.com/geocache/GC3DBC_nashs-cabin