Where is this?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Good Guess Bob! I thought you would be the first one to identify the Skit Branch?

Yes, I should have thought of that. We did a trip back in 2007? wherein we explored the Skit, starting from down by Hampton Furnace to all the way up where the soil is only damp (up by that little mountain west of Apple Pie Hill). In fact, we have a photo at the bridge of all of us who went that day.

Edit: I just realized that the bridge I'm referring to is on Carranza. Does your photo depict the one on the dirt road upstream? After leaving the Carranza bridge we went up the western branch (Robert's Branch) through the woods. Very tough going in there; all leatherleaf.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What a good man Howard was! He always had time for me and always with a smile on his face. Did he interact with any of you? I'd like to hear your stories. Anyway, where was this photo taken?

Howard.PNG

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
Yes, I should have thought of that. We did a trip back in 2007? wherein we explored the Skit, starting from down by Hampton Furnace to all the way up where the soil is only damp (up by that little mountain west of Apple Pie Hill). In fact, we have a photo at the bridge of all of us who went that day.

Edit: I just realized that the bridge I'm referring to is on Carranza. Does your photo depict the one on the dirt road upstream? After leaving the Carranza bridge we went up the western branch (Robert's Branch) through the woods. Very tough going in there; all leatherleaf.

Yes it does Bob! The photo is more upstream by White Horse Road just past Batona Grass Field. Such a great area in my opinion to explore. I spend more time in that area of Wharton than most!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did not post because I knew where Bob was and I had this.

IMG_7890.JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It's really sad to see those old gun clubs, you know? I can see them in the backyards in their wool-checkered shirts and dickie type pants, having fun, backslapping and drinking after a hunt....getting ready for a poker game later in the evening.

What happened? :(

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
BTW - There is a gun club for sale on Pasadena very close to the sand operations. I saw a tiny had written sign roadside.

PINEY WARDEN

Explorer
Jan 13, 2012
It's really sad to see those old gun clubs, you know? I can see them in the backyards in their wool-checkered shirts and dickie type pants, having fun, backslapping and drinking after a hunt....getting ready for a poker game later in the evening.

What happened? :(

My Father-In-Law used to belong to that Gun Club many years ago. Sad to see so many of them closing the doors. But higher property taxes, insurance, and cost upkeep of the buildings makes it nearly impossible for a few folks to keep it going! Even the younger generations that are involved just do not have the time to dedicate to extra outdoor activities with a heavy work schedule with a job to put food on the table for their own families! I truly believe most gun clubs will be non existent in a few short years to come with the exception of clubs like South Park that owns quite a bit of land! :(

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW - There is a gun club for sale on Pasadena very close to the sand operations. I saw a tiny had written sign roadside.

That sign says "Bikers Welcome." Imagine Bill having to deal with a biker club next to him. :bang: