Where is this?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Don't think it is but it reminds of a place on ( I think) Jimmie Leeds Road.

As you thought, no, that is not it.

This club intrigues me for one personal reason. I've seen it about 5-7 times now over my 35 years of driving around in the pines, but each time I see it, I forget where I saw it within about 6 months! It is not deeply hidden, it is just on a seldom-traveled road.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As you thought, no, that is not it.

This club intrigues me for one personal reason. I've seen it about 5-7 times now over my 35 years of driving around in the pines, but each time I see it, I forget where I saw it within about 6 months! It is not deeply hidden, it is just on a seldom-traveled road.

Where is this club--exactly.

may16club.PNG

Here is the deal. Bob posted the photo of the gun club and I recognized it right away. So I looked through my photos and could not find it. This annoyed me so much that I have spent hours going through my computer for the photo and looking over aerials with no luck. I was certain the last time I passed it was during my "Lebanon State Forest Project" and felt it was somewhere near Lebanon. So I told Jessica we would spend this morning driving around looking for it again which we did unsuccessfully. More frustration! So I sat down again a few minutes ago to look over aerials once more and wouldn't you know I found it within 15 seconds. So with high confidence that I am correct ..... I present you the location that you will forget in 6 months :)

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.90199686577934&lng=-74.40503898661615&z=20&type=hybrid&gpx=

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And I found my photos. It is the Kinkora Buck Club. The reason I could not find it is I was searching for "gun club" and not buck club.

Taken 5/10/2008

IMG_0946.JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Regarding Webb's Mill boardwalk, I went out today to survey the damage done to the orchids. The dam still looks good, but there are only 15 Arethusa orchids this year. We normally get 10-15 times that amount. These were saved only because they are on the two higher hummocks.

The back portion where the Bog Asphodel is coming up looks fine as the flood did not reach that portion, but we have a lot of dead cedars and a wasteland otherwise. We have to ensure those beaver are gone and stay gone.

One of the survivors:

arethusa61.PNG

Reactions: AnViL and Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice photo Bob!

I forgot to mention I cleaned the dam out this past weekend again. They had two of the three flows closed off and the water level was rising. When I left the water was moving good.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
So Bob when will you reveal the location?

I'm sorry. I post these, and forget because I don't get a lot of guesses. The location of this tumbled shack is only 450 feet from the back end of the board walk at Webb's Mill. Suprising to me since I've lived here over 30 years, and did not notice it. I entered from the back by the notorious beaver dam. Location shown is probably within 100 feet.

webbshack.PNG

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Bob,
I think I have seen them on the southeast side of the Phillips bog on QBR just across the Myme branch (called Deep Run at one time) of the Mullica. Today this little branch of the Mullica doesn't seem to have any name, but is called CATTS RUN named after that old Pine Barren explorer Don Catts, who on July 4, 2007 planted an American Flag at the head of Catts Run claiming it for the explorers all over the Pine Barrens who have gone in over their boots, tipped a canoe, or got their feet stuck in the mud of the Pine Barrens.
Don

Reactions: Menantico

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob,
I think I have seen them on the southeast side of the Phillips bog on QBR just across the Myme branch (called Deep Run at one time) of the Mullica. Today this little branch of the Mullica doesn't seem to have any name, but is called CATTS RUN named after that old Pine Barren explorer Don Catts, who on July 4, 2007 planted an American Flag at the head of Catts Run claiming it for the explorers all over the Pine Barrens who have gone in over their boots, tipped a canoe, or got their feet stuck in the mud of the Pine Barrens.
Don

Correct Don! And thanks for the story. Very cool.

AnViL

Dec 24, 2013
Where is this (exactly). Guy can't play.

View attachment 5318
Took the family to see Harrisville tonight, then the plan was to take Martha Rd up to Oswego Lake. Then take Sooy Rd back to 72, cross over and snake my way back to Whiting. Didnt realize I was in for such a disappointment. Ended up coming to this gate, and the one on the left on Allen Rd, and the one on the right for the Air to Ground range...
Ended up just parking the truck and having our picnic there instead of Oswego. Wife and kids aggravated, just drove back home via roadways.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Took the family to see Harrisville tonight, then the plan was to take Martha Rd up to Oswego Lake. Then take Sooy Rd back to 72, cross over and snake my way back to Whiting. Didnt realize I was in for such a disappointment. Ended up coming to this gate, and the one on the left on Allen Rd, and the one on the right for the Air to Ground range...
Ended up just parking the truck and having our picnic there instead of Oswego. Wife and kids aggravated, just drove back home via roadways.

Yes, unfortunately that gate was closed maybe 20 (?) years ago. I used to remember it being open while being able to lug the canoe to the dam for the trip down the Oswego. I would love to see the state negotiate with the landowner (Haine's?) to open it so we can go downs Martha road from Lake Oswego. Or maybe even buy a little of the land so it's possible.

PS: you could have driven back down to one of the beaches on the Oswego.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The township gave him the bridge. It is unfortunate that threats of lawsuit by an individual has closed that road off to all of us.