Where is this?

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I saw that someone placed this bit of cheer at a crossing I think you'll recognize.

PSX_20221225_014024.jpg

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all!

Reactions: Boyd and Teegate

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I remember seeing a pine tree decorated like that many years ago in Lebanon (Byrne). Maybe they had good intentions, but in my book it's just littering.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
What is the name of the field that was just past Batona camp across from the Skit Branch. I remeber hiking the Batona a ways back with my son and there was a decorated tree there in the back corner

Reactions: stiltzkin

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
What is the name of the field that was just past Batona camp across from the Skit Branch. I remeber hiking the Batona a ways back with my son and there was a decorated tree there in the back corner

I don't know the answer to that, but now I'm wondering why there's a large cleared field back there to begin with. Does it serve some purpose for the Batona?

I was going to check approximately when it was cleared but it looks like Historic Aerials is completely down today. So without doing a lot more further digging through NAPP or something I can only say that it didn't exist in 1930 and did exist by about 1984, which is a long stretch of time.

Edit: I did have a look at aerial imagery at USGS after all and it narrows the timeframe down to 1959-1969.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
We locals call it the dog park. It is used for many activities. Decorating trees is an annual event. The NJFFS cuts them down when they encounter them. The field is burnt every March, sort of sterilizing it but apparently the ants survive. There is a group of wierdos from Connecticut that come down in the summer to study the ant population there, crawling around the ground with their trowels. The deer NEVER eat the grass, but we enjoy it, a nice open place for a quick walk and lots of smells for the dogs. The Burlington County SAR use it for training. Birding is also popular. Someone stole the bench that was there. We need more open space like this.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And where is this? Ed Campbell should have a good chance of knowing this location. I have another photo with a wider view.

IMG_7213a.jpg