Where's the Snow?

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
That's why we really need those bursts of really cold weather, to zap many of those critters and germs. That's why I always liked getting a couple days of single-digit temps in this area. It wipes out everything and allows for a clean start.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Actually, it could be a problem if trees and plants start to blossom and then get killed later in February....

Our crocus are already in bloom and the daffodillies are about 4 inches high. Butterfly bush's are pushing out leaves, as are the montauk daises

My wife and I have been guaranteed to the house due to us both being diagnosed with pneumonia.

My wife and I just finished with a duel case of bronchitis. First time I've been sick since I retired.

Looking like this warm weather will be with us thru most of this month with very little precip. There is a Cat 4 winter storm forecast for out west, but they all seem to make a left turn and head out over the Great Lakes.

Punxsutawney Phil says 6 more weeks of winter, if it ever gets here :D

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Here's one for you guys, true story. My wife and I have been guaranteed to the house due to us both being diagnosed with pneumonia. That in inself is not the interesting part of the story, but the fact that we have our windows wide open in the house in January is what I find strange.

Sorry to hear that you two have pneumonia. My son (1 year old) now has pneumonia for the second time this winter (second time in one month, actually). Lots of stuff going around in these mild temps. I'd be really happy to see a hard, several-week cold blast before spring.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
The truth is, the flu and the common cold are caused by viruses. People get sick more often in the winter because they are exposed to each other more in the winter than in the summer. When it is cold outside, people tend to stay inside and are more likely to spread germs to one another. Also, because school is in session, kids are around each other all day and are not afraid to share their germs. With so many people in such close contact, the likelihood of passing germs is much higher when it is cold outside than when it is warm and people are outdoors. There is also evidence now that viruses spread more easily through dry air. When it is cold outside, the air is drier both outdoors and inside (where people have their heaters on) which may make it easier for germs to pass from one person to another. But it is not the cold weather that causes the cold, it just might make it easier to spread the virus.
In tropical areas, where it does not get cold, the common cold and flu season generally occurs during the rainy season. But again, these illnesses are not caused by the rain. They are just more prevalent because people come in closer contact with each other than they do during the dry season.(this is from about.com)

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Our crocus are already in bloom and the daffodillies are about 4 inches high. Butterfly bush's are pushing out leaves, as are the montauk daises

My wife and I just finished with a duel case of bronchitis. First time I've been sick since I retired.

Looking like this warm weather will be with us thru most of this month with very little precip. There is a Cat 4 winter storm forecast for out west, but they all seem to make a left turn and head out over the Great Lakes.

Punxsutawney Phil says 6 more weeks of winter, if it ever gets here :D

Ok So whos telling the truth:rolleyes: Stonewall or Phil?
WANTAGE — Sussex County's own groundhog, Stonewall, emerged from his burrow at Space Farms Zoo and Museum with the help of zoo owner Parker Space Thursday to predict an early spring.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Listen up snow lovers, this NWS forecast is for you! Hurry out to the store right away to beat the crowd and stock up on bread and eggs. Rush over to Home Depot and buy your salt and shovels while they last! ;)

Wednesday: A chance of rain before 3pm, then rain and snow likely between 3pm and 4pm, then snow likely after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 42. East wind between 5 and 7 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Wednesday Night: Light snow likely, mainly before 7pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 27. North wind between 3 and 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

That's the forecast for my area down South, they are predicting a little less snow up in the heart of the pines...

Wednesday: A chance of rain before 3pm, then a chance of rain and snow between 3pm and 4pm, then a chance of snow after 4pm. Cloudy, with a high near 39. Northeast wind around 6 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

Wednesday Night: A chance of light snow, mainly before midnight. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 26. North wind between 3 and 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

And maybe a bit more as you get into the Philadelphia suburbs...

Wednesday: A slight chance of rain before 2pm, then a chance of rain and snow between 2pm and 3pm, then snow likely after 3pm. Cloudy, with a high near 39. East wind between 3 and 5 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Wednesday Night: Light snow likely, mainly before 7pm. Cloudy, then gradually becoming partly cloudy, with a low around 29. Light north wind. Chance of precipitation is 40%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

With a high of 47 on Thursday and 49 Friday, it won't last long though.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
You are a true New Jerseyan Dogg, makes me proud. :D

I don't think it will amount to anything, the new forecast for my area says less than 1/10 inch rain today and less than 1/2 snow tonight. For Philadelphia they say less than 1/2" snow today and less than 1/2" tonight. As you go West, there may be more snow.

But the warm weather is supposed to continue through the next week. Looks like I may only burn about half as much firewood as usual this year if this keeps up, in spite of the fact that I no longer spend my days at work in Philadelphia. Very unusual.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just got back .Overfilled my gas tank on my truck,Unload 20 gallons of milk 30 loafs of bread.2 gallons of peanut butter and 10 dozen eggs.Also 5 new snow shovels.I am ready now!:eek:

Sounds like your planning a Snowmageddon Anniversary Party :D

Don't eat it all, you might need it for next week. :siren:

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Just got back .Overfilled my gas tank on my truck,Unload 20 gallons of milk 30 loafs of bread.2 gallons of peanut butter and 10 dozen eggs.Also 5 new snow shovels.I am ready now!:eek:

You forgot the 5 pound can of Cinnamon to complete your French Toast recipe. Slacker.

Now,
True story... and typical me. Many long time ago, in the ACME in Berlin (long since )closed,
There was a pending "blizzard"
Every line was full up mostly of folks topping their carts off with the stuff dogg mentions.
I needed like, some soap or bathroom thing or another and had no easy way out with the idiots in the way.
So, to amuse myself and kill time, I went to the spice isle, grabbed up an armfull of cinnamon tins and went right down the line dropping one into each cart saying stuff like... "don't forget this" and "don't use too much" etc.

I would like to think an older, more mature version of me wouldn't engage in such foolishness but....

g.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Don't eat it all, you might need it for next week. :siren:

NWS says 51 degrees next Wednesday. BTW, thanks for buying that snowblower. Maybe we need to take up a collection to get a new one for somebody every year? :cool: Don't feel bad, I did my part for the team back in 2005 IIRC. I got a new heavy duty snow blower and it sat unused for two full years. After that I was glad to have it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It's a winter wonderland outside my door right now, except for the paved areas. Number 2 son is out salting the retiree's; number 1 is in Sanibel where is was 79f today. If it's still white out there in the morning I'll be using the blower on the grass :dance: Go low NAO!!!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Started raining lightly here around 4:00 and changed over to light snow around 7:00. Still nothing sticking... maybe just the slightest frosting on the grass. Temperature is still 38 degrees, so maybe it will start to stick later this evening.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I saw lots of these at Parker this morning. It reminded me of Turkey Beard in bloom.

I forgot to mention, a bald eagle was also at the resoivoir.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
A dusting on the east plains this morning.

6849877861_18fce83f29_b.jpg

Reactions: Teegate and dogg57

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
You forgot the 5 pound can of Cinnamon to complete your French Toast recipe. Slacker.

Now,
True story... and typical me. Many long time ago, in the ACME in Berlin (long since )closed,
There was a pending "blizzard"
Every line was full up mostly of folks topping their carts off with the stuff dogg mentions.
I needed like, some soap or bathroom thing or another and had no easy way out with the idiots in the way.
So, to amuse myself and kill time, I went to the spice isle, grabbed up an armfull of cinnamon tins and went right down the line dropping one into each cart saying stuff like... "don't forget this" and "don't use too much" etc.

I would like to think an older, more mature version of me wouldn't engage in such foolishness but....

g.
Have to run out and get my Official 5 Pound can of cinnamon so I can be Slacker proof:D

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
That map sure doesn't agree with the NWS. Their forecast shows the temperatures staying above freezing until Saturday night, with 1/10 to 1/4 rain possible tonight and less than 1" of snow tomorrow.