Whippoorbill's gift to us

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Here are the final two Bill gave me. They are much longer than the rest. The first one is 32 minutes long, with the second one at almost 13 minutes. I have not listened to them yet since I have not had time.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/whippoorbill/Whippoorbill_4.zip

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/whippoorbill/Whippoorbill_6.zip

Guy

I'll offer a little description of these two recordings, since Guy hasn't listened to them yet. File four was recorded within sight of Quaker Bridge Road at a vernal pond located about a mile east of the bridge. Lots of interplay here between peepers and leapord frogs; plus some calls of the whippoorwill and pine barren tree frogs can be heard from the distance. The leapord frog closest to the mic goes a bit wild at the conclusion of this recording; I'm thinking a girl frog floated by at the time. :) This is probably my second favorite recording (of length); it plays well through my hi-fi system at home and helps put me to sleep.

File six is part of a dawn transition recording (or should be; I haven't downloaded these files, but I'm matching the length Guy describes with what I remember sending him). Beautiful sound transitions occur near and in bogs in the barrens at dawn, especially in spring. The portion of a two-hour recording here was made predawn (about 4:30am, on a May morning). Peewees, prominent here, always seem to be the first to awaken and sing.

Thanks again, Guy and Ben, for posting these.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Bill,

Public broadcasting (NPR) has a segment where listeners can send in sounds they record and if chosen can explain it during a minute or so segment while it is played. You should submit the one in my first post and see what happens.

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Figured I'd give this thread a bit of a bump -- after all, it's the time of year when things come back to life in the barrens. Also, maybe some newcomers who missed this thread first time around might get a kick out of some of the field recordings.

I plan on hitting the bogs with the recorder and camera (full moon!) as soon as this weekend. I haven't been up to the barrens in a while. Anybody hearing any guy frogs singing for chicks yet?

Thanks,
Bill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Anybody hearing any guy frogs singing for chicks yet?

Thanks,
Bill

Yes. Rob and I heard spring peepers on the road we traveled out of the Great Swamp on Friday. To be more correct we heard one of them.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Bill, I'm glad you bumped this thread up. I missed it the first time around.

Great music. I love the part where the car gets close and then fades away into the frogs. I love it all actually.

relayer

Explorer
Bill

Those recordings are just wonderful. Got a lot of interest from one our cats as well. Thanks for taking the time to record and share this material.(thanks to Guy and Ben too)

By the way, maybe you could get the LLBean in Marlton to give their background loon noises a rest and play something of yours.

best

relayer

Reactions: Trailwalker

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Bill

Those recordings are just wonderful. Got a lot of interest from one our cats as well. Thanks for taking the time to record and share this material.(thanks to Guy and Ben too)

By the way, maybe you could get the LLBean in Marlton to give their background loon noises a rest and play something of yours.

best

relayer

Guy's NPR suggestion has been noted and is being comtemplated. Relayer -- I've been considering a frog mix with "Close to the Edge?" Think the Yes guys will like it? :)

After reading a recent thread concerning what sounded like a neat get-together, I know there are at least a couple of talented musicians onboard (and I love the CD I have here by Jeff). Anyone up to composing a "Bog Boogie!" with wonking treefrogs in the background? :) I did try mixing some recordings with some odd sounds created on a borrowed synthesizer (MarkBNJ can sympathize with my poor effort there). Mission aborted.

Anyway, I can't say how satisfying it is to be able to share the recordings with fellow appreciators, via Guy's and Ben's posting them here. I'm looking forward to slightly warmer temps and more fun listening and recording.

Thanks again for the feedback.

Bill

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Bill,

You've got a good idea there. I've got to say, there is nothing more musical to me than a chorus of frogs and birds with the wind in the background. Sacred is a good word to describe it.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
I'll get together for a jam with you guys anytime, if I can make it down. Sundays aren't going to be so hot for the next couple of months due to soccer, but Friday nights are pretty good, and Saturdays not too bad.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Speaking of audio recording... check out what these guys are doing. Link is to a page w/professional promo video. It's a little long, but if you're interested in digital audio it will be worth it. I'll never trust my ears again :).

http://www.celemony.com/cms/index.php?id=dna&L=0

That is a great website. More and more it makes it possible for a poor musician to preform a song, and after altering it using this technology, release it and it may become a hit. My kids have been quite disappointed that many of the songs they enjoy sound like crap when played live on TV. The musicians are just not that talented, but somehow they can release a quality song. Now we may know why.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
After reading a recent thread concerning what sounded like a neat get-together, I know there are at least a couple of talented musicians onboard (and I love the CD I have here by Jeff). Anyone up to composing a "Bog Boogie!" with wonking treefrogs in the background? :)
Bill

I am glad you are enjoying the CD Bill. What did you have in mind with music to complement the bog sounds? Did you actually want a boogie? Or something more ambient? What did you have in mind?

Jeff

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
That is a great website. More and more it makes it possible for a poor musician to preform a song, and after altering it using this technology, release it and it may become a hit. My kids have been quite disappointed that many of the songs they enjoy sound like crap when played live on TV. The musicians are just not that talented, but somehow they can release a quality song. Now we may know why.

Guy

I second the notion that this is a great site. It blows my mind thinking of the endless possibilities of sound manipulation.

Paul

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
By the way, great recordings Bill. All the different sounds seem to be almost "orchastrated" if you will. Very mesmerizing.

Paul