White Christmas

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
Wow, you sure changed your tune! :)

Heehee! Don't get me wrong, made some great money and had a ton of fun. So it was all good. But also rode along with him for three days and helped out. It was a ton of work. The free beer for plowing out a local establishment made it all better.....

jburd641

Explorer
Jan 16, 2008
Port Charlotte, Fl.
lol. I'm all about diners. not only do i get a double order of bacon I add salt to it. This will get me all ready to NOT shovel lol. I'm either picking up a ATV with a plow, a older 8/9/2N with a loader front or a snow blower in the immediate future. Not only to save my back (that I fractured about 6 years ago), but also to make some spare moneys:D

I took the easy way out...hopped a plane and I'm back in Florida. The snow was nice though.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
lol I wish I could have done the same.

might want to plan ahead :D

"Longer Range

There's a lot of talk about the storm around the 7th and another one around the 9th. What I am seeing is the flattening on the jet stream across the country which is notorious for spitting out frequent storms across the country. What you end of having is very cold air across the northern tier of the country and very warm weather across the South. In between, you have a natural baroclinic zone for storms to move along. While you do not get very big storms, you end up more frequent snow events and every once in a while, you end up with a zone of intense snow. The pattern I believe starts around the 7th and gets stronger as we go through the rest of the month."

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Have you seen the similar reports for NYC? This is the same situation that cost Lindsay his mayors job after the '69 nor'easter

Here you go: http://www.cnn.com/2010/US/12/30/new.york.snow/?hpt=T2

New York (CNN) -- Four days after a monster blizzard blanketed much of the northeastern United States, New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg said he will investigate whether sanitation workers intentionally delayed cleanup efforts over frustrations regarding citywide budget cuts.

"It would be an outrage if it took place," Bloomberg said Thursday, stressing that his administration's primary focus is clearing streets in the city's outer boroughs. Some neighborhoods remained snowbound for days after the storm.

Rumors swirled across New York on Thursday that sanitation officers ordered rank-and-file workers to slow down cleanup efforts in retaliation for the city's belt-tightening measures.

City Councilman Dan Halloran said three sanitation workers and two Department of Transportation supervisors came to his office saying their supervisors ordered the slowdown, telling workers that "the mayor will see how much he needs us" and that "there will be plenty of overtime."

Bloomberg said budget cuts had not yet taken effect but defended them, saying, "the state is facing a budget deficit that's going to filter down to us."

The slow clean-up effort hampered morning commuters, delayed first responders and even prevented aircraft service personnel from reaching airports where 29 international flights were stuck on the tarmac for more than three hours, officials said.

The head of New York's sanitation workers' union earlier blamed harsh winds and budget cuts as reasons for the slow response.

"We were 400 people short," said Harry Nespoli, president of the Uniformed Sanitationmen's Association. "There are certain services that should not be affected. The people pay taxes for it."

Sanitation Commissioner John Doherty said he had not seen evidence of a worker protest.

"But we have to look into that," he said.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Snow Shoveling Humor

This would have been more relevant last year, let's hope we don't repeat it this year.

December 8 – 6:00 PM
It started to snow.
The first snow of the season!
The wife and I took our cocktails and sat for hours by the window watching the huge soft flakes drift down from heaven.
It looked like a Grandma Moses Print.
So romantic we felt like newlyweds again.
I love snow!

December 9
We woke to a beautiful blanket of crystal white snow covering every inch of the landscape.
What a fantastic sight!
Can there be a lovelier place in the whole world?
Moving here was the best idea I’ve ever had!
Shoveled for the first time in years and felt like a boy again.
I did both our driveway and the sidewalks.
This afternoon the snowplow came along and covered up the sidewalks and closed in the driveway, so I got to shovel again.
What a perfect life!

December 12
The sun has melted all our lovely snow.
Such a disappointment!
My neighbor tells me not to worry- we’ll definitely have a white Christmas.
No snow on Christmas would be awful!
Bob says we’ll have so much snow by the end of winter, that I’ll never want to see snow again
I don’t think that’s possible.
Bob is such a nice man, I’m glad he’s our neighbor.

December 14
Snow, lovely snow! 8 inches last night.
The temperature dropped to -20.
The cold makes everything sparkle so.
The wind took my breath away, but I warmed up by shoveling the driveway and sidewalks.
This is the life!
The snowplow came back this afternoon and buried everything again.
I didn’t realize I would have to do quite this much shoveling, but I’ll certainly get back in shape this way.
I wish l wouldn’t huff and puff so.

December 15
20 inches forecast.
Sold my van and bought a 4×4 Blazer.
Bought snow tires for the wife’s car and 2 extra shovels.
Stocked the freezer.
The wife wants a wood stove in case the electricity goes out.
I think that’s silly.
We aren’t in Alaska , after all.

December 16
Ice storm this morning.
Fell on my ass on the ice in the driveway putting down salt.
Hurt like hell.
The wife laughed for an hour, which I think was very cruel.

December 17
Still way below freezing.
Roads are too icy to go anywhere.
Electricity was off for 5 hours.
I had to pile the blankets on to stay warm.
Nothing to do but stare at the wife and try not to irritate her.
Guess I should’ve bought a wood stove, but won’t admit it to her.
God I hate it when she’s right.
I can’t believe I’m freezing to death in my own living room.

December 20
Electricity’s back on, but had another 14 inches of the damn stuff last night.
More shoveling!
Took all day.
The damn snowplow came by twice.
Tried to find a neighbor kid to shovel, but they said they’re too busy playing hockey.
I think they’re lying.
Called the only hardware store around to see about buying a snow blower and they’re out.
Might have another shipment in March.
I think they’re lying.
Bob says I have to shovel or the city will have it done and bill me.
I think he’s lying.

December 22
Bob was right about a white Christmas because 13 more inches of the white shit fell today, and it’s so cold, it probably won’t melt till August.
Took me 45 minutes to get all dressed up to go out to shovel and then I had to piss.
By the time I got undressed, pissed and dressed again. I was too tired to shovel.
Tried to hire Bob who has a plow on his truck for the rest of the winter, but he says he’s too busy. I think the asshole is lying.

December 23
Only 2 inches of snow today
And it warmed up to 0.
The wife wanted me to decorate the front of the house this morning.
What is she, nuts?!!
Why didn’t she tell me to do that a month ago?
She says she did but I think she’s lying.

December 24
6 inches – Snow packed so hard by snowplow, l broke the shovel.
Thought I was having a heart attack.
If I ever catch the son of a bitch who drives that snowplow, I’ll drag him through the snow by his balls and beat him to death with my broken shovel.
I know he hides around the corner and waits for me to finish shoveling and then he comes down the street at a 100 miles an hour and throws snow all over where I’ve just been!
Tonight the wife wanted me to sing Christmas carols with her and open our presents, but I was too busy watching for the damn snowplow.

December 25
Merry freaking Christmas!
20 more inches of the damn slop tonight -Snowed in.
The idea of shoveling makes my blood boil.
God, I hate the snow!
Then the snowplow driver came by asking for a donation and I hit him over the head with my shovel.
The wife says I have a bad attitude.
I think she’s an idiot.
If I have to watch “It’s A Wonderful Life” one more time, I’m going to stuff her into the microwave.

December 26
Still snowed in.
Why the hell did I ever move here?
It was all HER idea.
She’s really getting on my nerves.

December 27
Temperature dropped to -30 and the pipes froze; plumber came after 14 hours of waiting for him, he only charged me $1,400 to replace all my pipes.

December 28
Warmed up to above -20.
Still snowed in.
The BITCH is driving me crazy!!!

December 29
10 more inches.
Bob says I have to shovel the roof or it could cave in.
That’s the silliest thing I ever heard. How dumb does he think I am?

December 30
Roof caved in.
I beat up the snowplow driver, and now he is suing me for a million dollars, not only the beating I gave him, but also for trying to shove the broken snow shovel up his ass.
The wife went home to her mother.
Nine more inches predicted.

December 31
I set fire to what’s left of the house.
No more shoveling.

January 8
Feel so good.
I just love those little white pills they keep giving me.
Why am I tied to the bed?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This would have been more relevant last year, let's hope we don't repeat it this year.

January 8
Feel so good.
I just love those little white pills they keep giving me.
Why am I tied to the bed?

Good stuff :D :rofl:

I now have that saved.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I got about 6" of snow this morning here. Is anybody seeing that further north? Went out and the roads were terrible. It has let up now, but winds are supposed to increase to 25mph later today, so there will be some drifting.

At least I don't have to work today, but this has been quite a cold and snowy winter so far.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I got about 6" of snow this morning here. Is anybody seeing that further north? Went out and the roads were terrible. It has let up now, but winds are supposed to increase to 25mph later today, so there will be some drifting.

At least I don't have to work today, but this has been quite a cold and snowy winter so far.

We have about 4" and still snowing, although much lighter. Thankfully it is nice powdery, light stuff that can be blown away with the leaf blower. We may see much more come the middle of the week. This pattern is forecast to remain throughout the month.

590x443_01081702_severe1.png

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL

Got about 3 inches in Moorestown. The main roads were so heavily salted that they merlted quickly, the backroads did not fare so well and got packed down and slippery real quick. I expect black ice conditions tonight could be a problem.

And I agree, it's been a cold winter and I hope Tuesdays snow is not too bad.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Man, that wind is nasty outside today! But this snow was very lightweight, so I'm not going to bother clearing the driveway... running the snowthrower on a windy day like this is murder. I am really not liking this winter so far. I wish Al Gore was right about global warming. :argh:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Man, that wind is nasty outside today! But this snow was very lightweight, so I'm not going to bother clearing the driveway... running the snowthrower on a windy day like this is murder. I am really not liking this winter so far. I wish Al Gore was right about global warming. :argh:

It would have be a great winter day if not for the wind as you mention.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The river has finally frozen across except for some soft spots near mooring buoys and springs. A few more days of these temps and the ice boaters should be out in force.

5340004477_a1d871e762_z.jpg

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
This last wave of snow gave us 6-8 inches here in Absecon. It was predicted "last minute" or so it seemed and was only supposed to be 1-3 inches. The storm coming tomorrow is supposed to dump 6-8 inches what are we really going to get? Nothing or a blizzard?

I want a job as a meteorologist. My back could predict the weather better....and I would have the same shot at being correct!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
From Alan Casper's NJ 101.5 blog

http://alansnjweatherblog.blogspot.com/

Our next storm system will be coming up the southeast coastline tomorrow. Snow will develop during tomorrow afternoon, first in south Jersey and probably not into central and north Jersey until tomorrow evening or early tomorrow night. The snow should really get down to business Tuesday night, before tapering off Wednesday.

The snow may briefly mix with sleet and rain along the far south coast just for a time Tuesday evening or Tuesday night.

There's the potential for at least six inches. Who knows? It could possibly be as much as 10-12 inches by the time all is said and done Wednesday. Wednesday's highs - the low 30s.