Who done it and why?

While on the Sooy subject, does anyone know of a possible "William Sooy" or any W Sooy from that area? Just across the Mullica is this.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/04022011/IMG_7179.JPG

Guy

Guy:

The Sooy family is tough. Writing in the late 1870s, Leah Blackman stated,

I have been unable to learn much about the geneology [sic] of the Sooy family. They do not properly belong to Egg Harbor township. The first generations of the Sooy family made extensive locations of land in Washington township. The Sooys of Atlantic county are the descendants of Yose Sooy, and it is probable they are the descendants of Luke Sooy.

According to the section in Blackman’s work on the Sooy family, Yose had at least three sons: Nicholas, Joseph and Luke. She notes Yose probably had other sons and daughters, but their names are unrecorded. Blackman does report that Nicholas had a son, William and Nicholas Jr. had a son, William. It appears that Nicholas Sr.’s son, William carried the qualifier “Senior” on the end of his name and, likewise, Nicholas Jr.’s son, William, carried the qualifier “Junior.”

While Blackman does not provide dates or even years in her genealogical work, I would guess the stone you found stems from William Jr., based on an interpolation of generations and when surveyors first began to set stones as property markers.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy:

The Sooy family is tough. Writing in the late 1870s, Leah Blackman stated,

I have been unable to learn much about the geneology [sic] of the Sooy family. They do not properly belong to Egg Harbor township. The first generations of the Sooy family made extensive locations of land in Washington township. The Sooys of Atlantic county are the descendants of Yose Sooy, and it is probable they are the descendants of Luke Sooy.

According to the section in Blackman’s work on the Sooy family, Yose had at least three sons: Nicholas, Joseph and Luke. She notes Yose probably had other sons and daughters, but their names are unrecorded. Blackman does report that Nicholas had a son, William and Nicholas Jr. had a son, William. It appears that Nicholas Sr.’s son, William carried the qualifier “Senior” on the end of his name and, likewise, Nicholas Jr.’s son, William, carried the qualifier “Junior.”

While Blackman does not provide dates or even years in her genealogical work, I would guess the stone you found stems from William Jr., based on an interpolation of generations and when surveyors first began to set stones as property markers.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Thanks Jerseyman! I wish I had more time to research the land records to find out for sure. I have always been frustrated that this is something I have problems doing because of work and other distractions.

Guy

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
You may want to examine a copy of Kimberly R. Sebold’s From Marsh to Farm: The Landscape Transformation of Coastal New Jersey, published by the National Park Service in 1992 as part of New Jersey’s Coastal Heritage Trail project. There is quite a bit of good material in this work about banked meadow farming.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

For those interested, the book can be viewed online here: http://www.nps.gov/history/history/online_books/nj3/contents.htm

Looks like a lot of great info and pictures!

Thanks Jerseyman! I wish I had more time to research the land records to find out for sure. I have always been frustrated that this is something I have problems doing because of work and other distractions.

Guy

Too bad, Guy, we can’t all find someone to fund our fun instead of our work! All too often the job gets in the way of doing what we really want to do!!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

soendsthisday

Sep 19, 2012

Guy

Attachments

• deed risley adams22.jpg
    deed risley adams22.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 238
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
soendsthisday,

A very warm welcome and big "thank you" for posting that deed!

Here is what I could make out:

"Evi Smith's 50 acres cedar swamp"

"Evi Smith's 100 acres now John Smith's"

"Joseph Sooy's 50 & 15/100 acres survey 1792"

"Joseph Sooy's (?) made April 8th, 1766 belongs now to Augustus Sooy and Robert Leeds."

soendsthisday

Sep 19, 2012
1769 is the date...I've been visiting this site now and then for a long while...ever since I started researching the deed. I commend your inquisitive character. So I finally joined in and figured out how to communicate. I'm new to this.

Attachments

• deed risley adams2.jpg
    deed risley adams2.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 194

soendsthisday

Sep 19, 2012
I think most of us wouldn't recognize the industrial character of the meadows 200 years ago. I believe there was a whole lot of stuff going on...a real lively scene almost every day.

soendsthisday

Sep 19, 2012
Evi Smith and Joseph Sooy were two of the founders of Port Republic...and I believe these names and the people are identical