Who done it and why?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
1769 is the date...I've been visiting this site now and then for a long while...ever since I started researching the deed. I commend your inquisitive character. So I finally joined in and figured out how to communicate. I'm new to this.

I'd love to hear about what you've discovered in your research.

BTW, do you know who owns Sooy's Landing? I've been given conflicting answers as to whether it's public or private.

soendsthisday

Sep 19, 2012
I would think it is public. But I'm willing to wager that the dam was for banking and draining...but it might also have been for freshening oysters...

soendsthisday

Sep 19, 2012
Well the elaborate oyster freshening operations looked like this on Lake's bay 1880. But they were often really crude. Built just down from a meadow spring so that the spring gurgled fresh water before the dam where a sluice gate was arranged and when they lifted it at low tide the fresh water would run out over the oyster cleansing them and fattening them with fresh water.

Attachments

• lake's bay oyster platform2.jpg
    lake's bay oyster platform2.jpg
    695.8 KB · Views: 223

soendsthisday

Sep 19, 2012
Augustus SooySooy:Augustus b. 1775, Port Republic, N.J., occupation sea captain, m. 28 Jul
1798, Sarah HigbeeHigbee:Sarah, b. 25 Oct 1780, (daughter of Jeremiah
HigbeeHigbee:Jeremiah and Esther SmithSmith:Esther) d. 20 Mar 1863. Augustus died 26
Apr 1853, Port Republic, N.J.

soendsthisday

Sep 19, 2012
Joseph SooySooy:Joseph b. ABT 1744, m. (1) Ann BlackmanBlackman:Ann, m. (2) Dorothy
LeedsLeeds:Dorothy. Joseph lived in Leeds Point, N.J. and served in the Gloucester County
Militia during the Revolutionary War.

soendsthisday

Sep 19, 2012
Joseph SooySooy:Joseph b. 27 Feb 1738, occupation sea captain, m. 15 Jul 1761, Mary
LeekLeek:Mary, (daughter of John LeekLeek:John and Phoebe DevinneyDevinney:phoebe).
Joseph was a privateersman during the Revolutionary War. It was related in a contemporary
paper of the time that Captain Joseph Sooy of Great Egg Harbor sighted a suspicious looking
vessel at the Little Egg Harbor Inlet and, not seeing movement about the deck, went aboard
with some show of authority to inquire of the ship. Upon going abroad he was seized by
several men and made prisoner, and taken to New York. The ship turned out to be one of His
Majesty's ship loaded with foot soldiers. When Joseph returned to Great Egg Harbor he made
oath that he did not assist the British ship.3
Joseph's will dated 8/26/1801 and proved 10/6/1802 mentions his "seven daughters" but only
names Millicent and Sarah Collins.

soendsthisday

Sep 19, 2012
Bounds of 50 acres surveyed to Evi Smith, Sandy Point/Little Creek, [Gloucester Co.], no date
[fragments only].
9. Bounds of 50 acres surveyed to Evi Smith near the road from the branches of the Nacat to Teal Creek,
20 July 1745.
10. Bounds of 24 acres and 142 acres surveyed to Hugh McCollum, October 1746 [fragments only].

soendsthisday

Sep 19, 2012
6/16. Court Week. Many people in to-day, among them Thos. Redman & wife, James Cooper, Daniel Smith & his daughters Mary & Elizabeth Smith,ye latter from Egg Harbor, wife of Evi Smith.