Who Owns What

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Here's something interesting that I just noticed. I am not recommending because I know nothing about it. Anyway, there's an app called Onyx (sorry, the correct name is "OnX") that doesn't seem to be worried about showing property owner names. Have only spent about two minutes looking on their website, so I don't know how comprehensive the data is. But here's an example

View attachment 18845

You can't link directly to it, but just go to their website, scroll down to the bottom where it says "Powerful 3d Planning) and click the map. It took a little while to load for me. Then click the Satellite button and click 2d (this is a bit confusing). Zoom way out, drag the map to NJ and zoom back in. When you get close enough, it shows property owners. And it's free to do this on their website.

They have a 7-day free trial of the full app (iOS and Android), after that it's $100/year. You can decide for yourself whether that would be worthwhile. Who knows, they might end up pulling owner names in the future - after you have spent $100, LOL. They also have a version without the property names for $30/yr. I think there is also a free version with more limitations?

One interesting feature is that the app is compatible with Apple Carplay and Android Auto, so you can use it on your car's built-in screen (if available). Apparently you can also download maps to use with no cell signal.

Does anybody here use this already?
My son sent me the attached screen shot from his truck last night. This is OnX synched with Apple Carplay. You can check ownership as you drive down the road. Amazing.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-20 060833.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-20 060833.png
    800.4 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: Boyd

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
And the Apple Carplay/Android Auto is another important feature that makes it stand out. Ordinary app developers are not able to to access that capability, you need a special (expensive) type of developer account that is normally only available to large companies (boydsmaps is not likely to ever have that capability).

This may be true for Apple CarPlay, but it's not for Android Auto. Android Auto apps have to adhere to design guidelines set by Google, and are subject to manual review before becoming available in the Play Store, but developing them and testing them doesn't cost anything extra. You simply add an entry to your app manifest and then design your activities in accordance with the guidelines. You can test on a real head unit as well.

I use several Android Auto apps which are open source software and/or developed by a single developer or small company. Auto apps aren't restricted to the largest developers like CarPlay apps may be. There would be nothing stopping you - from a financial perspective anyway - from developing a Boyds Maps app for Auto, if you wanted to.

The best, though, is using the site in a Tesla. Since the car has a browser, and the browser is location-aware, you don't need to develop anything :cool:

bm_tesla.JPG

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd and enormiss

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Wow. Just wow! :cool: Never occurred to me that you could use web apps on a car's screen, that is very cool! And yes, I was talking about Apple CarPlay although things may have changed recently. Don't know much about android auto, although my VW supports it.

Reactions: stiltzkin