Why New Jersey and Oregon still don't let you pump your own gas

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
"It's unlikely that the state will allow drivers to pump their own gas anytime soon, however. The president of the state's Senate opposes a bill that would end New Jersey's ban. The state's residents have little interest in self-service. A March poll found that 73% of them say they prefer having their gas pumped for them."

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This was being pushed when I was working at a gas station in 1973. I don't see it happening in this state.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Headlines always say: "New Jersey is one of two states where you can't pump your own gas".

The headline should read: "NJ citizens are lucky, they have their gas pumped into their car for them. And it keeps about 8,000 people employed".

I'd be interested to see how much of that income actually remains in the state/country.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
How do you feel about it?
I'm against it, for the same reasons I'm against checking myself out at the Stop and Shop or any other store I'm at. Why should I do your job for you? Exxon or Shell or whoever don't make enough money now? And don't tell me about saving time. You'll sit through 45 minutes of commercials to watch a football game and that's OK? I pumped gas when I was a kid, I was happy to have a fairly easy job. There was a time you'd get your oil checked and windshield cleaned too....gone forever. Nowadays you can't even get your groceries bagged. Bags? We don't need no stinking bags (you got to be a Bogie fan to get that one)

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
We don't need no stinking bags (you got to be a Bogie fan to get that one)

Actually, a "Bogie fan" would know that nobody says "we don't need no stinking badges" in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, this is a very common mis-quote. The actual lines from that movie are: "We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges". ;)

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Actually, a "Bogie fan" would know that nobody says "we don't need no stinking badges" in The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, this is a very common mis-quote. The actual lines from that movie are: "We don't need no badges. I don't have to show you any stinking badges". ;)

Indeed. And parodied in one of my favorite movies of all time, UHF (which also does not technically have the line correct, but it's just a gag):

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I'm against it, for the same reasons I'm against checking myself out at the Stop and Shop or any other store I'm at. Why should I do your job for you? Exxon or Shell or whoever don't make enough money now? And don't tell me about saving time. You'll sit through 45 minutes of commercials to watch a football game and that's OK? I pumped gas when I was a kid, I was happy to have a fairly easy job. There was a time you'd get your oil checked and windshield cleaned too....gone forever. Nowadays you can't even get your groceries bagged. Bags? We don't need no stinking bags (you got to be a Bogie fan to get that one)

Personally I avoid stores that don't have self checkout now. I can breeze in and out a lot quicker than waiting in line for one of the two or three registers (out of 10+ actually in the store) that are open. I keep bags in the trunk of my car so it's a non issue for me, too.

Exxon and Shell make plenty of money - but the stations that you buy the gas at are run by franchise operators that are on tight margins. Exxon and Shell should charge them less so they can pass the lower prices on to us or, even better, provide something closer to a living wage.

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
I stand corrected.

Reactions: Boyd

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
Personally I avoid stores that don't have self checkout now. I can breeze in and out a lot quicker than waiting in line for one of the two or three registers (out of 10+ actually in the store) that are open. I keep bags in the trunk of my car so it's a non issue for me, too.

Exxon and Shell make plenty of money - but the stations that you buy the gas at are run by franchise operators that are on tight margins. Exxon and Shell should charge them less so they can pass the lower prices on to us or, even better, provide something closer to a living wage.
The problem is Exxon , Shell, and all the others.......well, why should they sell cheaper when people are buying. What has to happen is everybody, and I mean EVERYBODY has to stop buying one brand, doesn't matter what it is. Lets call it Brand X. If we don't buy Brand X they make no money. In order to make money they have to offer their gas cheaper than all the rest. It's all about competition. Not with us, the consumer, but with other gas suppliers. So Brand X is now the cheapest gas around. People will buy their gas and not their competition's. So what does the competition do to sell gas? They lower their prices. PRICE WARS! POWER TO THE PEOPLE!

Last edited: