WOW! Just when I thought the Bush administration couldn't get any lower...

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
First of all, let me note that I am an Independent voter, lest anyone deem me an ass (donkey) kisser.

Yesterday, Sen. John Kerry made this statement:

"You know, education, if you make the most of it, you study hard, you do your homework and you make an effort to be smart, you can do well. If you don't, you get stuck in Iraq."

Clearly, he was talking about the fact that this administration did not do their homework and have consequently subjected our troops to a quagmire.

What does the Bush team do? They rip the quote from its context and spin it to give the impression that Kerry was talking about our troops!!

:bang:

I'm not one to pray, but please, God, relieve these shameless (or is 'shameful' the more appropriate word?) hacks out of power.

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
seems a few democrats believe he WAS talking about the troops as they have asked Kerry not to campaign for them. Kerry's freudian slip was a general indication of the disdain the democrats have for the military. I think Lurch is on his third excuse since he got his foot out of his mouth. Now it was just a bad joke. Another vast right wing conspiracy right? Please......

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Kingofthepines,

I might have spoken too soon. I need to view the transcript before making up my mind. It just seems unfathomable to me that Kerry could be so stupid as to bash our troops. But anything is possible with politicians, eh?

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
it wouldn't be stupid for him at all. it would just be another episode in a long history of bashing american troops, starting in 1971 when he testified before the senate that he observed troops cutting off heads and other body parts reminicent of Gengis Khan. Of course as an officer he would have had a duty to report these atrocities and there isn't a single such incident ever being reported by him. In 1994 he said he believed troops dying under the UN flag was acceptable while troops dying under the American flag was not. This past spring he accused soldiers in Iraq of terrorizing women and children in the dead of night. and now this...........

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm with you on this one Gabe. And by the other answers on this post, the spin is being swallowed; hook, line, and sinker. Its why I tend to not even fight the machine any more. Just vote your heart.

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Kerry's freudian slip was a general indication of the disdain the democrats have for the military.

Not THIS Democrat thank you. I don't support John Kerry either. Look up Joe Sestak, former Admiral (Running for PA 7), Patrick Murphy, Iraq vet and winner of the Bronze Star (Running for PA 8), and Jim Webb, Decorated Vietnam vet and former Secretary of the Navy, (Running for Senate in VA), Jack Murtha, Max Cleland, etc... All Democrats. I bet they all have such deep disdain for the military... :rolleyes: John Kerry no longer speaks for the Democratic party-all he represents is his haughty, elitist, pathetic excuse for a JFK wannabe self.

kingofthepines

Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
you can definately leave Murtha off that list.
On May 17, 2006, referring to the actions of U.S. Marines at Haditha, Iraq, on November 19, 2005, Jack Murtha said Marines 'killed innocent civilians in cold blood' - before the first Marine was charged, before the first court-martial was convened, before the first Marine was convicted.

Jack Murtha acted as prosecutor, judge, and jury, passing sentence on men in the heat of battle thousands of miles away without any personal knowledge of what occurred there that day, and before any investigation had been completed.

Our troops shouldn't have to worry about defending their reputations while they're defending our freedoms."

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Murtha's actual statement:

It's much worse than reported in Time magazine. There was no fire fight. There was no IED that killed these innocent people. Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them and they killed innocent civilians in cold blood. And that's what the report is going to tell.
Now, you can imagine the impact this is going to have on those troops for the rest of their lives and for the United States in our war and our effort in trying to win the hearts and minds.

As a former USMC drill instructor who volunteered for service in Vietnam after his active duty ended, Murtha knows damn well what horrible things happen to good soldiers in situations like Haditha. Most guys who've earned two purple hearts do. Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld sent our troops over with no plan, no objective, and no idea how to end this thing. They just said "Go fight, we'll figure it out later." Now you've got soldiers pushed to the limit making snap decisions under fire in a losing situation. The killing of innocent civillians is a mess that the administration created. Now these soldiers have to live with it for the rest of their lives. It's not like its anything new though-Bob Kerrey, one time Nebraska Senator and Navy SEAL was involved in a similar situation in Vietnam.

Murtha was sounding the alarm bell that Iraq is going south fast, that the administration has it's blinders on tight, and is unwilling to do anything about it. No one questions the resolve, reputation, or courage of the grunts on the ground in Iraq. They've taken an oath to follow the orders of their superiors and not waver from that. They're not the ones screwing up. You might want to read "About Face: The Odyssey of an American Warrior" by Colonel David Hackworth. It's all about how the top brass, bean counters, and policymakers in the D.O.D. consistently sell out our troops because of incompetence, stubborness, buearacracy, and petty infighting-A'la the Iraq War.

Our troops shouldn't have to worry about defending their reputations while they're defending our freedoms."

Defending our freedoms? First we went over there find WMDs which we now know don't exist, never existed, and we've got bigger problems in that area with Iran and North Korea anyway. Then the whole thing turned into "We have to get Saddam." Now that we have, Saddam is starring in his own little version of the O.J. Trial and instead of one crazed psychopath terrorizing the country, now half a million are. After Saddam was captured it turned into "Democratic government for the Middle East," a blatant oxymoron. These people don't want freedom, they want either a Shiite or Sunni controlled Theocracy. They want Islam, not democracy, to be the law of the land.

Thanks to our brilliant military planners we now find ourselves where the Russians did in Afghanistan in 1979. This conflict has become a call to Islamic militants all over the world to "Come fight the Great Satan." I don't have the answer for how to get out of Iraq, but I do know one thing. We need a Congress and an administration who is willing to admit that mistakes were made and that different tactics need to be looked at in order to come out of this thing on top. I'm a little sick and tired of the Republicans telling people that they own the flag, they own patriotism, and that they're the only real Americans. I'll wave my flag, say the pledge of allegiance, sing the national anthem, and vote Democrat proudly.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Murtha's actual statement:

It's much worse than reported in Time magazine. There was no fire fight. There was no IED that killed these innocent people. Our troops overreacted because of the pressure on them and they killed innocent civilians in cold blood. And that's what the report is going to tell.
Now, you can imagine the impact this is going to have on those troops for the rest of their lives and for the United States in our war and our effort in trying to win the hearts and minds.

As a former USMC drill instructor who volunteered for service in Vietnam after his active duty ended, Murtha knows damn well what horrible things happen to good soldiers in situations like Haditha. Most guys who've earned two purple hearts do. Bush, Cheney, and Rumsfeld sent our troops over with no plan, no objective, and no idea how to end this thing. They just said "Go fight, we'll figure it out later." Now you've got soldiers pushed to the limit making snap decisions under fire in a losing situation. The killing of innocent civillians is a mess that the administration created. Now these soldiers have to live with it for the rest of their lives. It's not like its anything new though-Bob Kerrey, one time Nebraska Senator and Navy SEAL was involved in a similar situation in Vietnam.

Murtha was sounding the alarm bell that Iraq is going south fast, that the administration has it's blinders on tight, and is unwilling to do anything about it. No one questions the resolve, reputation, or courage of the grunts on the ground in Iraq. They've taken an oath to follow the orders of their superiors and not waver from that. They're not the ones screwing up. You might want to read "About Face: The Odyssey of an American Warrior" by Colonel David Hackworth. It's all about how the top brass, bean counters, and policymakers in the D.O.D. consistently sell out our troops because of incompetence, stubborness, buearacracy, and petty infighting-A'la the Iraq War.

Defending our freedoms? First we went over there find WMDs which we now know don't exist, never existed, and we've got bigger problems in that area with Iran and North Korea anyway. Then the whole thing turned into "We have to get Saddam." Now that we have, Saddam is starring in his own little version of the O.J. Trial and instead of one crazed psychopath terrorizing the country, now half a million are. After Saddam was captured it turned into "Democratic government for the Middle East," a blatant oxymoron. These people don't want freedom, they want either a Shiite or Sunni controlled Theocracy. They want Islam, not democracy, to be the law of the land.

Thanks to our brilliant military planners we now find ourselves where the Russians did in Afghanistan in 1979. This conflict has become a call to Islamic militants all over the world to "Come fight the Great Satan." I don't have the answer for how to get out of Iraq, but I do know one thing. We need a Congress and an administration who is willing to admit that mistakes were made and that different tactics need to be looked at in order to come out of this thing on top. I'm a little sick and tired of the Republicans telling people that they own the flag, they own patriotism, and that they're the only real Americans. I'll wave my flag, say the pledge of allegiance, sing the national anthem, and vote Democrat proudly.

Another nice post by BadFish. The guy's got smarts I'll tell ya.

As far as Kerry, he never appealed to me, but to turn this into a claim that it proves all democrats disdain the military is quite a stretch. But that is exactly what Bush is doing right now to ensure the congress stays republican. All he has to do is convince those people in this country that only see things in black and white. Unfortunately, they are in the millions. There is the spin.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
seems a few democrats believe he WAS talking about the troops as they have asked Kerry not to campaign for them. Kerry's freudian slip was a general indication of the disdain the democrats have for the military. I think Lurch is on his third excuse since he got his foot out of his mouth. Now it was just a bad joke. Another vast right wing conspiracy right? Please......

King, you don't think it was a bad joke. Well, I don't know about that, but I do want to ask you this. What do you think Kerry actually meant by that remark?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
God bless George W. Bush, one of the finest Presidents this country has ever known!
What would have happened if Gore was president on 9/11??? Surrender? Would we have apologized for making them angry.
I am so happy that we are slaughtering terrorist in there own lands rather than having them killing us over here.
as for the whole WMD issue are you aware that Hussien used chemical weapons in the past? On his own people. We gave them all the time in the world to get rid of the stuff.
Some how liberals always think we are in the wrong. America is the good guy. To compare what we are doing to what the Russians did is disgusting.
I am so sick of hearing liberals whine.
So what is the liberal answer? I keep hearing about how you will change everything. Well what is the plan? Lets hear it. What will liberals do about terrorism? Be nice and politically correct? ha..Death to Islam.
liberals call our soldiers baby killers and they support abortion. You should all be put in mental institutions until this war is over.

Oh Grendel....

Is everything going right in Iraq? Is that your synopsis; that we are "slaughtering terrorist in there own lands". Is Iraq terrorist land?