Yo!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Tomaré un cheesesteak sin cebollas fritas.

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Roadkill on a Bun

Almost five decades ago, as a young undergraduate student, I used to hitch a ride to the college on some mornings with my comparative anatomy professor. He was a very colorful person, with a sharp wit and Eddie Cantor--like "pop eyes," due to Graves disease.

One morning, on our way to his 8 AM lecture, he spied a dead possum on the road. He screeched to a halt, lept out of the car --- the motor running --- and began to furiously dissect the road kill. While he was busy at work, a Florham Park policeman happened by. He stopped, sauntered over to the professor and asked him just what he thought he was doing. The professor, a somewhat diminutive fellow with a deep basso voice, straightened--up to his full height and said, "I'm just getting my breakfast, sir!" The cop turned about three various shades of green, literally ran back to his "black--and--white," and sped off in the direction of Columbia Turnpike. The professor continued his disection for a few minutes more, and then I saw him surrepitiously "pocket" something. On the way to class, neither of us spoke a word...

When we arrived at the lecture hall, the professor announced that he had changed the subject of his lecture for that day. He told the class that his lecture would be on heterotrophic bones. After discussing the adlacrimal bone in the eyelid of alligators, the pisiform bone, and a few other oddities, he related that, "...on the way to class, this morning, I stopped on the road to pick--up a dead possum that I planned to have for breakfast... Some students, looking a little pale, quickly headed for the door. The professor reached into his pocket, and produced a curiously shaped bone. "This is a bacculum!" he said in a loud voice. Whenever I eat possum, I always make sure I get this bone, because it's mighty handy to pick your teeth with. In fact, he stated, many "southern boys" carry these on their key rings just for that purpose. Then he related a rather ribald story about an ex--commissioner of baseball, who offered his bacculum to a lady from New York...

The professor, with tears streaming down his cheeks, and laughing uncontrollably abruptly ended the lecture as he stormed out the door.

We students were totally flabbergasted, and mightily puzzled by his actions --- and we had no clue as to just what a 'bacculum' was. Hurriedly thumbing through our textbooks, we finally got the "message"...

As long as I live, I shall never forget the look on that cop's face, as the professor told him that possum road kill is best with fried eggs! :D

Philly cheesesteaks, indeed... Go for a true "Piney Delight:" possum stew with a bacculum! ("Roadkill on a Bun"):rofl:

ebsi

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Watched this on the news today. Once again , I am not..... what I consider a racist person. I also knew who the first to crab about it and to whom the first sympathy followers would be. The comment on the television, presented in the fashion of a gentleman and descendant of persons who worked hard for their positions/ American dream was wonderful. It doesn't matter the dialect or your country of origin, Know the language, learn the language, and excel. I found nothing comical about it. I thought it sincere. It's about betterment, not segregation or anything remotely associated with such.

Oh, and this little small town South Jersey hick spent countless times coming from a concert or racing on Front street to have my night made complete by the folk's at Pat's & Geno's. I've seen it all there, so I can honestly say that I do not think they are singleing anyone out.

g.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
Canadian immigration policy, you can come into our contry if, you have a job waiting for you here and can speek english or french
sound reasonable to me, just my thoughts

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
ebsi-
i'm not really sure what it has to do with cheesesteaks, but i really enjoyed your story and it prompted me to find out what a baculum is. (for the unenlightened:
http://www.luckymojo.com/raccoonpenis.html)
apparently the literal latin translation is "little rod," although it appears that whales have baculums as well and i'm sure they're anything but little!

i seem to recall a weirdnj entry about an eating establishment with a display of various animal penises on the wall--anyone remember where that is? actually now that i think about it it may have been the now-defunct midnight society site that i saw it on, not weirdnj.

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Possum Stew and Bonz

entropysedge said:
I guess his classes were lots of fun!!!

but then again I know what a bacculum is! :rofl:

Cajun,

Coming from the South, I guess you would have had to know what a bacculum is.

If you thought his classes were fun, you should have experienced his tests and "pop lab. quizzes!":jeffd: Once he brought in some soup bones from his evening meal(s). We were required to identify what part (what bone) of the animal they came from, and he gave extra credit, if we could name the animal. Some students were so hard--up for a grade that they actually licked some of the bones!:cry: The professor: He just stood in the hallway, and laughed uncontrollably as his somewhat dejected charges exited the lab. ...:D

ebsi

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Roadkill

WAMBA said:
ebsi-
i'm not really sure what it has to do with cheesesteaks, but i really enjoyed your story and it prompted me to find out what a baculum is. (for the unenlightened:
http://www.luckymojo.com/raccoonpenis.html)

"Mysterymeat!"

WAMBA, have you ever seen them making hot dogs --- or sausages of any kind?

A few years back, a favorite (and well reviewed) eating establishment was closed, permanently, after the health department found a large cache of rat and cat carcasses in their freezer. The place was well known for their "rabbit and squirrel specialties"...

Give me possum stew on a sesame seed bun any day --- with a bacculum, instead of a toothpick, holding it together!

ebsi

ebsi2001 said:
Cajun,

Coming from the South, I guess you would have had to know what a bacculum is.

If you thought his classes were fun, you should have experienced his tests and "pop lab. quizzes!":jeffd: Once he brought in some soup bones from his evening meal(s). We were required to identify what part (what bone) of the animal they came from, and he gave extra credit, if we could name the animal. Some students were so hard--up for a grade that they actually licked some of the bones!:cry: The professor: He just stood in the hallway, and laughed uncontrollably as his somewhat dejected charges exited the lab. ...:D

ebsi

heheheheheh... I can picture that! It sounds like something my father would have done if he had taught that subject (he was a business professor and had many warped ways of tormenting his students). All I can say is that its amazing what some people will do for a grade... :rolleyes:

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
Expect the "unexpected"

entropysedge said:
It sounds like something my father would have done if he had taught that subject (he was a business professor and had many warped ways of tormenting his students).

At the time, we felt it was some kind of unique torture, or that the professor was an escapee from Bellvue or Greystone. Looking back, 40--some years later, I realize that the experience "shaped" many of us. Perhaps it was purely unintentional, but I like to think that there was a "method" behind the professor's "madness."

That course, and one or two others, I feel, changed the way I "think." That is most confusing to most people...

"Expect the unexpected!"

ebsi

ebsi2001 said:
At the time, we felt it was some kind of unique torture, or that the professor was an escapee from Bellvue or Greystone. Looking back, 40--some years later, I realize that the experience "shaped" many of us. Perhaps it was purely unintentional, but I like to think that there was a "method" behind the professor's "madness."

That course, and one or two others, I feel, changed the way I "think." That is most confusing to most people...

"Expect the unexpected!"

ebsi

Unfortunitly you throw the unexpected at most people and they curl up into little balls (figuratively speaking); they just can't deal with something that is so far away from their normal ways.

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
southern NJ
entropysedge said:
Unfortunitly you throw the unexpected at most people and they curl up into little balls (figuratively speaking); they just can't deal with something that is so far away from their normal ways.

Taking "orders" from, or blindly accepting the "analysis" of a "situation" (or a particular dogma) from a (recognized) "person of authority" is easy: It requires NO THINKING! So, when the editor of a widely read S.J. newspaper "analyzes" the situation, and intimates that the sign in Gino's window is attributable to "jingoism"...

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/opinion/editorials/story/6436122p-6289821c.html

...we can expect that the "knee jerk" reaction of most of its readership is to be in "lockstep agreement."

However, can the owner of Gino's be accused of "jingoism" just because he posts a sign that states, “This is America: When ordering “Speak English.”? After all, he has never turned anyone away...

The editor accuses us, his readership, and Americans, in general, of being "xenophobic." Are Americans xenophobic? I maintain, based on my own limited experience, that they definitely are NOT!

If Tony Vento, the owner of Gino's, cannot be accused of being a "jingoist," if Americans are not "xenophobes," then, does the sign in Gino's window have a deeper meaning, other than, "When ordering 'Speak English'.”?

Many years ago, I heard that, at one time (probably some time following the Revolutionary War) Congress had (hotly) debated whether the "national language" of America should be English or German. "English" supposedly won the poll by one vote... In the interim, I have never been able to prove or disprove the story related to me many years ago.

However, within the context of the current debate and proposed solution(s) to our current "illegal immigrant problem" (and, to some degree, prompted by the posting of a translation of Francis Scott Key's "Star--spangled Banner" in Spanish), Congress could NOT agree to "adopt" English as our "national language"!

Perhaps Gino is simply "guilty" of "taking matters into his own hands"?

ebsi

I encounter many different nationalities and languages at work (a Toyota dealership) and the only people that expect me (meaning the dealership that I work for) to speak to them in THEIR OWN language are the Spanish speakers; everyone else does their level best to comunicate in English. Some manage better than others but they make the effort; as an example, the Japanese man I spoke with last evening in regards to a car who, when he was at a loss for words (in English) used drawing pictures on paper to get his point across. He didn't expect me to speak Japanese, why should he? In this county, he knew that people communicate using the English language... why should any other nationality get treated differently?

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
I applaud the cheesesteak place for stating orders in english only.
I'm sick and tired of these illegal aliens sneaking into our country. Here on Long Island, they have destroyed many neighborhoods (by overcrowding one family homes, straining services,etc). In many communities, like Farmingville and Southampton, they loiter on the street for work, 100 or more men. It's all about the cheap labor these guys provide. But it's destroying wages for citizens.
I personally think it's high time we get some American pride back. I do my best to avoid businesses that use illegal aliens. I can't understand why these contracting and gardening companies get away with breaking federal wage and immigration laws everyday. They should be fined and put in jail.
I know in NJ they have problems too, Freehold and some other communities in the southern half of NJ have problems with them "taking over" too. They do not assimilate, but instead believe that the United States should become like Mexico, and request signs in spanish,etc. Bad enough they came here illegally.
Oh, and they are starting to live in the woods too. Smaller, privately owned parcels of land, such as some wooded areas in Farmingville and Deer Park, are being litterred by illegals too, so it's bad for the environment as well.
These "day laborers" have no respect, no standards, and no boundaries. And instead of supporting them, we should deport them. :jeffd:
When my Great-grandmother came here from Poland, she didn't have signs in polish, she had to get documented, and had to learn english. It should be the same way today.