You Decide

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nope. This is hot enough to catch fire. I'd not trust anything anyone told me at this point. I'd have to see written agreements. This is for the courts to settle.

So you don't agree?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nope. This is hot enough to catch fire. I'd not trust anything anyone told me at this point. I'd have to see written agreements. This is for the courts to settle.

I forgot to add the text.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
(Update, a year later)
There is no boat concession at Bass River State Forest right now. Cowboy Mike did not come back this year. I don't know if he decided to end it, or the concession contract wasn't renewed by the state, or something else. But you can't rent a boat at Lake Absegami at this time. There is a notice posted at the lake saying there might be a boat concession later in the season.

Reactions: NJChileHead

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He was at Cooper River last year and as of yet I have not noticed him there this year. Maybe this week he will be.

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
(Update, a year later)
There is no boat concession at Bass River State Forest right now. Cowboy Mike did not come back this year. I don't know if he decided to end it, or the concession contract wasn't renewed by the state, or something else. But you can't rent a boat at Lake Absegami at this time. There is a notice posted at the lake saying there might be a boat concession later in the season.

I've been following this story since I read this thread last year, and rented from him and spoke to him a few times since. I spoke with him a few months back and he sounded disheartened. I got the impression that he was still having trouble. This really sucks, he's a nice guy and deserves the chance to run his business.

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
He is done at the state lakes they made it to hard for him to operate so I'm sure wontwbe long till the snakes slither in just as they wanted to do all along.

Reactions: mowergod

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Another year, another update. There will be a boat concession at Bass River State Forest this year, unlike last year. I think someone new is running it, possibly the same people who have the food concession.

In addition to the rowboats, canoes, and kayaks they had before, this year they also list paddle boards. What's a paddle board? I found pictures and it looks silly. If I see anyone paddle boarding on Lake Absegami I will try to get a picture after I stop laughing.

Reactions: Boyd

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
The new boat concession operator at both Bass River and Atsion is Flatwater Paddle https://flatwaterpaddle.co or http://fwpaddle.com The do kayaks and "SUP"s (Stand-up Paddleboards).

I saw a flier that said they were hiring for summer jobs at Bass River and Atsion, but I don't remember the details and I don't see anything on their web site. Just mentioning this in case someone has/knows kids/young people - or not young people - looking for a summer job doing this.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Hey all.
Nice to catch up reading. Doing other things.
Still love the history. Still back up right to the pines. Just got disheartened and things of the nature of this thread are why.
Sad.
I take walks out my way but that's about all.

I do love seeing the many familiar names and faces and thank you Ben for keeping things afloat.

I've done a complete 180 and spend all my rec time on the Great Bay, not just visiting my favorite sites.
I ramp off of Great Bay Boulevard (Those that know me are unlikely to be surprised)
I go up the Mullica occasionally but mostly stop at Lower Bank Bridge when I do.
Too many people on the water up there are... well I'd just rather not go up there as many folks on that water give boaters a bad rap, and Crowley's is the biggest piece of garbage put-in in so many respects known to the area.

My Home is the never ending wonder of the Great Bay and the inter coastal up to Forked river or so.
Great Bay itself is still an ever changing ever shifting and evolving landscape wonder of the water, the flora, the fauna.
I have had the chance to poke around and seek out many long gone ports of call and treacherous coves of Pirates and Privateers long forgotten.
In the end though I'm just a wind in your face kind of guy cruising and RESPECTFULLY enjoying the waterways.
Something I can do on the water when On land even when I am respectful, I am at risk of consequences.
This year though I am taking her up to Manasquan since I lived on the inlet as a wee lad. It's a run.

Perhaps I'll share some images in the Pix forum sometime. To me, priceless.

OH... Miss you Bunches Bob...

g

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
This year though I am taking her up to Manasquan since I lived on the inlet as a wee lad. It's a run.

If you come up the intercoastal, which I imagine you will, take a detour up the Toms. You can tie off at Huddy Park, the town did a nice job restoring the place. Lot of history on this river. Just do it on a weekday ;)