youtube video

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery

I found this on Youtube. I have been using this road alot the past few weeks. It is the road that runs from Atsion to the wescoat bogs and eventually to Constable bridge. I mentioned in another thread somewhere that there was alot of water and this video taken recently shows that. It is funny because I was just on that road and it wasn't nearly as bad as it looks in the video. My bronco is a bit higer up than most of the 4x4's in the video. It was up to the bottom of my doors. Just alot of water, I never slipped once or had any problem getting traction.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
By the way, I had been using that road alot because I had a game camera (motion detector camera) set up out there to hopefully catch a coyote. No luck. Had it out there for about a week and a half off and on.

Jeff

That road could use a little work.
About three years ago I think, during the winter where we had several days in a row that the temps were in the teens, I went down that road in a friends 4Runner during the storm that dumped about 8" of snow. The puddles were well frozen and supported the truck but it was the deep snow that eventually made my friend turn around. About a week or so later I was on that road again with another friend in his Explorer. We crashed through the ice on one of those puddles and nearly got stuck. Those puppies are deep!

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you are talking about the road from Atsion to Batsto, it is called Atsion-Batsto Road.

Guy

WAMBA

Scout
Mar 20, 2006
Voorhees
i got stuck pretty bad in my puny crv on atsion-batsto road a week or two ago. there was a lake-like puddle on the main road and two go-arounds that were also flooded. i tried one of the go arounds but there were two trenches in it that went much deeper than my wheels would reach. this happened while nightcaching around 9 or 10 so we ended up having to hike over 3 miles out to 206 for my dad to pick us up. luckily my uncle drove us back there in his trailblazer the next morning and was able to pull me out with a towstrap and my dad and friend pushing. now i'm in deep trouble with my parents if i drive on any dirt roads at all, kinda ruins my plans to spend more time exploring the pines over winter break :-(

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The condition of that road is very cyclical. After all, it is a very old road.
When I first moved down here in 84 it was horrendous.
I used to duck hunt Wescoat bogs a lot back then and the water in a lot of the holes would go over the headlights of my F-350 in the deepest parts of the holes. Fortunately I never wetted out.
The holes on the main road are all hard bottonmed and as long as you don't wet out, you are fine.
I would not recommend the loop roads. Most of those were blazed across vegetation and have become very boggy. The main road while wet, is very old and the bed is well established.
Around 1990, the forest fire guys did a decent job of reconstructing the road and the major holes and you could drive a Chevette back there for a few years.
(What's a Chevette?)
It is now overdue for an extreme makeover and maybe if we all wish real hard, it will happen.
:D
Scott

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That is Pinto's brother, right? And Crickets uncle. And Rebel's son. And Pacer had a hand in that pack. But in the final analysis, Gremlin won.

The Chevette is why we saw the birth of Yugos.
The Eastern Europeans said "Hey we can make piece a sh-t like that."
And the rest was history.
:)

LongIslandPiney

Explorer
Jan 11, 2006
The CRV is basically a car frame and does not have the clearance to make it on those roads. Jeeps do the best over there, though I wonder if some of those mega-heavy Hummer H2's or Tahoes would be able to make it through that without sinking in and getting stuck.
I tell you that's one road that you need a true 4x4 on, I think the Jeeps do the best, they definately got through those puddles pretty good.
Here a funny video compilation of Hummers struggling while Jeeps kick their :bear: .

I never seen puddles like that here on LI though, if I did I'd have to walk through the woods around the puddle, and then have to with TICKS.:dance:

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I never saw a Hummer in the pines. I did see a large group of Land Rovers driving from Quaker Bridge to Batsto. They all had their windows up!

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Land Rovers

15 or so years ago, We hosted a group of Land Rover owners for a trip in the pines. It was an absolute blast! We met at Ation Ranger Station. You could pick out a L.R. owner from across the lot! Everyone of them looked like the just stepped off the page of the Orvis Catalog!

Stu

Explorer
Feb 19, 2004
White Haven, PA
www.stuofdoom.com
I never saw a Hummer in the pines.

Of course not, wouldn't want to scratch it up now, would we? What would people in the Starbucks parking lot say if they saw the scratches? Why would you take a big gas pissing SUV off roading? I need that 8 MPG to haul my groceries.

...I hate Hummers. And Escalades. And Avalanches. And....