The NEW Beer Thread

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Nondiastrophic! I had to look it up. In other words the pine barren geography developed mostly though static causes and processes above ground level rather than big dynamic forces caused by earth movement and heat. Is that what it means?

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Bob,

Complex deformations described as non-diastrophic (non-tectonic) thermokarst involutions are sometimes encountered in Pinelands sections where soils were sufficiently ice-rich and composed of differing textural components. A density readjustment occurred through mass displacement as permafrost thaw progressed during climate amelioration at the end of protracted cold periods. These structures are not the result of freeze-thaw processes as once thought. At depth, a still-frozen layer would have acted as a frozen impediment to drainage further enhancing the soft-sediment mixing and plastic-to-liquid state reconstitution. It is not unlike a lava lamp where blobs of colored wax rise and fall with density readjustment due to heating and cooling.

nondiastrophic.jpg
Here's a section view of cryoturbation structures associated with icy permafrost thaw (thermokarst) in a pit near Newtonville. This photo was taken during Stop 5 of the Geological Association of New Jersey (GANJ) Field Excursion, October 13, 2003. Unfortunate acronym, GANJ! Not quite beer, but I've had homemade scrumpy that looked like this.​
S-M​

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
It's been awhile.
Since I couldn't Hold my head up high And it's been awhile Since I first saw you And it's been awhile Since I could stand On my own two feet again.

Whoops, that's for the Music for Today thread.

Right now I am slugging down an unusually good stout by Flying Dog.
Pearl Necklace :eek: Oyster Stout
It's made with Rappahannock River Oysters and proceeds benefit the Chesapeake Bay Oyster Restoration.

My son bought me a 12 pack sampler of Flying Dog and a 12 pack sampler of Troeg's for Father's Day and I am slowly whittling my way through. Haven't had a bad one yet.
Cheers everyone !

The pickerel looks thirsty !

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Mark, I had not checked for your last answer. Very interesting.

Why the light color of sand for those stuctures? Is it because they came from the upper layers and were light colored being subject to leaching, but sunk below too rapidly (from the thaw process) to pick up any color? Very confusing.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Bob,

It is a complicated process that took place over thousands of years. Here is my attempt at simplification.

Imagine a normal temperate climate soil profile, one with horizontal layers of sand, gravel, and clay as deposited by a river in a layer cake manner. Then that section was exposed to very cold, arid conditions in a periglacial environment. Progressively the ground froze solid year-round to a depth of 30–60 feet or more. Frost and desiccation cracks opened up, into which windblown sand filtered in leaving loose-filled passageways into otherwise dense frozen ground.

During periods of climate warming, precipitation increased and filtered into the various cracks during summer snowmelt. Permafrost surface thaw also contributed much water. As the climate warmed the once-icy ground thawed to greater and greater depths, but that meltwater had no place to go since the underlying sediments remained ice-bonded (an aquiclude or aquitard).

The deeper frozen ground perched the shallow groundwater, which pooled in greater and greater quantity until a point was reached where the soil became super-saturated. Thawed sediments became soupy like quicksand. Heavier gravels sank. Sands were less cohesive and more buoyant than clays and so they were carried upward by meltwater that has no place to go but up.

The resultant mess looks like true old-fashioned scrumpy apple cider, a full-flavored cloudy cider that packs a kick well beyond its alcohol content. A skull-splitter, it was only served in half-pint glasses when I traveled in England. My scenario above makes sense after the first glass. Scrumpy was also made with pears (Perry) and even peaches (Peachy). I’ve always suspected that Peachy Pond (spung) in the old coal grounds of Carmantown might have its origin for peach cider production.

BTW, does anyone want to take a stab at identifying the two onlooking Stockton Professors shown in the thermokarst photo?

Best,
S-M

Reactions: pinelandpaddler
Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
Not too shabby!

Bob,

It is a complicated process that took place over thousands of years. Here is my attempt at simplification.

Imagine a normal temperate climate soil profile, one with horizontal layers of sand, gravel, and clay as deposited by a river in a layer cake manner. Then that section was exposed to very cold, arid conditions in a periglacial environment. Progressively the ground froze solid year-round to a depth of 30–60 feet or more. Frost and desiccation cracks opened up, into which windblown sand filtered in leaving loose-filled passageways into otherwise dense frozen ground.

During periods of climate warming, precipitation increased and filtered into the various cracks during summer snowmelt. Permafrost surface thaw also contributed much water. As the climate warmed the once-icy ground thawed to greater and greater depths, but that meltwater had no place to go since the underlying sediments remained ice-bonded (an aquiclude or aquitard).

The deeper frozen ground perched the shallow groundwater, which pooled in greater and greater quantity until a point was reached where the soil became super-saturated. Thawed sediments became soupy like quicksand. Heavier gravels sank. Sands were less cohesive and more buoyant than clays and so they were carried upward by meltwater that has no place to go but up.

The resultant mess looks like true old-fashioned scrumpy apple cider, a full-flavored cloudy cider that packs a kick well beyond its alcohol content. A skull-splitter, it was only served in half-pint glasses when I traveled in England. My scenario makes sense after the first glass. Scrumpy was also made with pears (Perry) and even peaches (Peachy). I’ve always suspected that Peachy Pond (spung) in the old coal grounds of Carmantown might have its origin for peach cider production.

BTW, does anyone want to take a stab at identifying the two onlooking Stockton Professors shown in the thermokarst photo?

Best,
S-M

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Bob, Gabe,

The site's complexity could not be understood without a well-prepared exposure. It took a week for two of us (plus a loader) to prepare this section. Below is a similar exposure without careful cleaning and an after shot excerpt. Outlined in blue is a compound periglacial feature related to both frost cracking and permafrost thaw, which was shown to paleocryosol experts at a stop during my World Congress of Soil Science field trip. The work is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration.

Screen shot 2013-06-28 at 11.19.05 AM.png

If I had simply soil cored from above, the incredible story of permafrost aggradation and degradation could never have been understood. Each drill location would have provided a completely different soil record.

Screen shot 2013-06-28 at 11.01.51 AM.png
The Pine Barrens terrain has preserved a remarkable record of the cold, dry, and windy Ice Age.

Best,
S-M

Reactions: bobpbx

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Finally got a bad one. And I got hoodwinked by deceptive labeling to boot.

O'Mission Lager.
I have had Mission IPA before and it is outstanding. Last week I saw what I thought was a Mission Lager and bought a six pack down the shore.
Upon trying it I was overcome by a feeling of blecch and patoowey !
Bad swill.

After looking more closely at the label I saw that Mission was written bold and vertically with a cock-eyed O' off to the side. I then find that is made by Widmer Brothers, not Mission Brewery.
They got me.

Here is a pic of the bottle from the Beer Advocate website. Scored poorly with them too.
http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/8/80236

You have been warned !

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I'll be here all week! Hey, try the veal!

I have been around a long time Ben and I never heard that expression. Perhaps you have a future in stand-up !

By the way, another bad dose of beer is Troeg's Dream Weaver.
I strongly dislike wheats anyway and this is the wheatiest of wheats. My son got me a Troeg's sampler 12 pack and I saved those until last.
Damn near undrinkable.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
Forgotten Boardwalk Brewing
Jamie Queli’s avocation — beer — is about to become her vocation.
And with that evolution, Cherry Hill will once again have a brewery in the space vacated by Flying Fish, which moved to Somerdale as it expanded and became the largest craft brewer in the state.
Queli, who has roots in the Belmar area, said locating in Flying Fish’s old digs was by design.
http://www.courierpostonline.com/article/20130730/BUSINESS20/307300012/Cherry-Hill-get-new-brewery

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-09-09/beer-swilling-swine/4946072

Feral pig pinches multiple six-packs of beer and runs riot at Pilbara camp sites

By Ebonnie Spriggs

A booze-stealing feral pig that is wreaking havoc in the Pilbara has prompted a reminder for travellers at camp sites and rest stops to ensure their food and alcohol is secured.

It is believed the animal has drunk up to 18 cans of beer at the DeGrey River rest area, east of Port Hedland, over the past few days.

"It was last seen near the river itself, under a tree," Ms Findley said. "I think it's nursing its head today.

4945790-1x1-940x940.jpg