Lebanon State Forest Project

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I enjoyed the video, it conveys so much more than pictures. I looked at GoPro as an alternative to PlotWatcher as it could do time lapse and more but it has the same short battery life no matter what mode. I don't know why they even advertise time lapse as there are programs that will create time lapse out of video. That GoPro lenses has quite a bit of pin cushion. Notice the curving of the trees at the edge of the screen. Still a good idea, I am just fussy and want more. I think Garmin's camera is pretty much the same.
Anyway, please share more, and how about a pic of Jessica with the setup?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Okay Ed. I will have more at a later date, and I will get a photo of her using it. Al, the ribbons were not mine. They headed left and I headed right. I am currently playing with youtube trying to get a decent video.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I finally figured out how to get my video's to look better on youtube.

Choose 1080P

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I am slowly getting my bearings on this project and will eventually have some very interesting historical information to pass along. In the mean time a few finds.

I found this state concrete monument and noticed that the mound around it is a hidden large stone. I was not able to dig to see it because I cut my finger yesterday and had stitches put in it. I will return to check it out maybe next weekend.

IMG_0044.jpg

This is an interesting one. This was described as "large stone by twin pine stumps (1790)." So it has been there for at least 224 years. The state put a concrete monument behind it in the early 1930s.

IMG_0050.jpg

And this is a split stone.

IMG_0064.jpg

BTW, these finds and many others that I have not posted would have taken me much longer to find if it were not for a very valuable tip from Gibby last year. Using his tip has saved me countless hours of work. Much appreciated!

Also, all of these stones were "exceptions" to the Hanover Farms property. For some reason they were not able to acquire them and when the state purchased much of the property for Lebanon in the 1930s they only acquired one of tracks in this particular area. Once I narrow them down completely I will post the locations. I pretty much have the corners now but have been going there each week to find as many of the corners as I can.

Guy

Reactions: John and Menantico

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So what does anyone know about a vegetable stand located where the WaWa is at the Four Mile circle? Circa 1933. :D

Sickels%20Stand.jpg

Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, in looking over this thread, could your location for Pasadena station be reversed in the link? I'm going by the offshoot road in the bottom of the diagram.

And, there is more room for a station on the other side.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, in looking over this thread, could your location for Pasadena station be reversed in the link? I'm going by the offshoot road in the bottom of the diagram.

And, there is more room for a station on the other side.

It is on the other side of the tracks. I just looked at my link for the first time. Thanks.

Also, I fixed the first one after trying to do it twice. I had to delete the link, save the post, and then add the link in again for it to work.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.896930234656296&lng=-74.43186737569806&z=20&type=hybrid&gpx=

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

One of my most important objectives in this project is to find the locations of some of the properties of Rattlesnake Ase Pittman. He owned a few small tracts of land that today are part of Lebanon. Lost Town Hunter and myself have a serious interest in them and almost all of the stones I have found so far has been to narrow down these tracts. Each of my finds leads me closer and closer to them. After spending countless hours here at home and in the field, I have finally found the first stone of one of the elusive small tracts of Ase Pittman. When I am done finding all of the corners I will present my theory concerning something I noticed, and I believe you will agree with my assessment. More to come.

This is the NE corner stone to Ase Pittman's 9.6 acre tract. I have 5 more corners to find with this tract.

IMG_0077.jpg

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

While searching for stones I find interesting places and I want to let you in on one of them. Not far from the stream gaging station on the McDonalds Branch there is a man made canal that is a really nice place to visit. (Not now maybe with the pine flies) I have not explored the canal as of yet but will be in the coming months. HistoricAerials shows it not being there in 1940 but it was in 1956, so it is relatively new.

IMG_0074.jpg

Usually, the dirt removed from a canal is lined along one side of it, but with this canal it must have been carted away.

IMG_0075.jpg

There is a small path about here leading to it.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.88426131197739&lng=-74.50967557701108&z=18&type=hybrid&gpx=

Guy

Guy:

One minor correction, if you don’t mind: Asa spelled his surname with two “ts” as in “Pittman.” I have his family Bible in my library collection, which contains a couple of articles tipped in concerning Mr. Upton. A couple years ago, the Riverside Historical Society in Burlington County received a collection of post cards from one of Asa’s relatives and it has some great images and great cancellations, too!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy:

One minor correction, if you don’t mind: Asa spelled his surname with two “ts” as in “Pittman.” I have his family Bible in my library collection, which contains a couple of articles tipped in concerning Mr. Upton. A couple years ago, the Riverside Historical Society in Burlington County received a collection of post cards from one of Asa’s relatives and it has some great images and great cancellations, too!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

You are correct. His name is different than the town. Thanks for the heads up! I will make the corrections.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Am I correct that all the stones your finding are off the map you sent me recently? I"ll have to get that plotted so I:m ready for fall or at least till the flies are gone:) Took a drive in Wharton last week and I had enough around each side mirror to give me lift off if they would have cooperated.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No. I will get back to you soon on this. There is very little exact info this time. I am scaling maps with a pencil and guessing on most of these.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is a cool find about the raceway Guy. That was a popular drinking spot when I lived out that way.

The canal is neat too. I'd like to explore that area more. I used to stop at the gaging station just to get out of the house and be somewhere nice.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I again went out early this morning and using the coordinates from my first Ase Pittman Middle Branch find I was able to locate two other corners without stones. When the state surveyed Lebanon this was also an exception so they put monuments at the corners. I have photo's of the surveyors field notes and there must have been some sort of problem during the survey. They are crossed off with a note that the property would be resurveyed again on 11/21/1935. Again it was crossed off with a note changing the date to either 12/21 or 12/31 1935. The 21st was a Saturday so I suspect it was the 31st. These monuments most likely were placed there around that time.

This one is right along the north side of the stream in the middle of a cedar swamp. It was very dark in there and I was able to find it at a distance by the small portion of the metal top that was showing. The water flowing through the swamp has eroded all around the monument and it is in danger of falling over.

IMG_0088.jpg

I have begun looking for his other tract but I have not yet got a handle on the exact location of the corners. I am close, but at this time of year that is not good enough.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Was not very successful today looking for stones; however, we did find a few of the original Lebanon state monuments. On the way there I took this photo showing that even those individuals who name roads also spelled Asa Pittman's name wrong.

IMG_0098.JPG

While walking in a pretty remote area we stumbled on this. Someone is taking samples of the sap I assume. Does anyone have an idea what this is for?

IMG_0099.JPG

IMG_0101.JPG

Our first find were duel monuments in a remote area. One is the original Lebanon boundary and the other is unknown. The SB may be the owner of the adjacent property at the time. Today, it is all Lebanon. This is near Pakim Pond.

IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0105.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

This is NJ 44.6 and is not far from where the Alcyon Gun Club was. Did you notice I gave you a clue earlier?

IMG_0107.JPG

alcyon.jpg

Unrelated .... have you noticed they dug rumble strips down the middle of route 70 recently? I was in the woods far from 70 last week and could hear the cars crossing them. I would imagine those who live close by may not be happy with them. Each time a car passes another car they have to cross them and they are loud when it is quiet.

Nice running into you again Gibby. It is amazing that you and I have met up in the most remote places many times. I was looking under my car after getting home and it is full of that crap you and I had to go through to unknowingly meet up.

Guy

Reactions: John and Gibby