ORV Management In Sensitive Areas Of Wharton

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I would like to add this to the conversation. All of the sand that was used to repair the roads came from Pennsylvania and for the last ten days there has been one conservation officer on duty for all of Burlington county. How can any of this be enforceable? There isn't enough man power. I think it is for publicity and a feel good measure for the supporters of such a policy.

I was working with the C.O. today for a few hours and he hasn't even been told what roads are opened and closed. I did notice that one end of one road along the tracks is posted closed while the other end is still open. Things are so screwed in Wharton!

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
I would like to add this to the conversation. All of the sand that was used to repair the roads came from Pennsylvania and for the last ten days there has been one conservation officer on duty for all of Burlington county. How can any of this be enforceable? There isn't enough man power. I think it is for publicity and a feel good measure for the supporters of such a policy.

I was working with the C.O. today for a few hours and he hasn't even been told what roads are opened and closed. I did notice that one end of one road along the tracks is posted closed while the other end is still open. Things are so screwed in Wharton!

Now I was afraid someone was going to post this. without the volunteers or state consulting anyone, im guessing it is now possible to take a "legal" route and come up on the wrong side of a new NMV sign, and as Gibby said how would that be enforced? Would the CO or SPP hear you out? As stated they dont even know whats posted and whats not

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I drove Carranza today from Tabernacle to Friendship and did not see a single closed sign and just one other vehicle and three 2 wheeler's. Also stopped at Atsion station and asked when the closed road map would be available. The 2 seasonal's had no idea what I was asking about. Maybe they cancelled it or it is all a bad environMENTAList dream.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So we can't bring wood from anywhere but we can bring sand in from another state that may have bugs that are invasive. Like we don't have enough sand companies around there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I drove Carranza today from Tabernacle to Friendship and did not see a single closed sign and just one other vehicle and three 2 wheeler's. Also stopped at Atsion station and asked when the closed road map would be available. The 2 seasonal's had no idea what I was asking about. Maybe they cancelled it or it is all a bad environMENTAList dream.

There were signs at almost every road and two at many of them. Did you see any at the RR tracks? There were two on the left side going from Carranza to Friendship.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
Huh, I wonder if someone already pulled them down? That one pic I posted earlier in the thread was from Carranza, just past the correctional facility.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I wish I had driven further down Carranza today. I turned off at the Hampton Park Road.

SuperChooch

Explorer
Aug 26, 2011
I wish I had driven further down Carranza today. I turned off at the Hampton Park Road.
Lol, I was thinking the same thing, I did the same drive today. I wanted to run down to make they didn't close Rider's Switch (they didn't).

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Now I was afraid someone was going to post this. without the volunteers or state consulting anyone, im guessing it is now possible to take a "legal" route and come up on the wrong side of a new NMV sign, and as Gibby said how would that be enforced? Would the CO or SPP hear you out? As stated they dont even know whats posted and whats not

They will ticket you, they don't care. This whole thing has been done bass acwards. Something this radical should have been announced in advance, maps and the rules. Write your letters, put the spotlight on them, this is what they are trying to avoid.

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I went down Batsto Fireline rd past locks bridge to the burnt out bridge and went to come back up the road that comes up behind the cranberry bogs at Amato's house that is closed had to continue on to Batsto
Although it was obvious that someone recently went through

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There were signs at almost every road and two at many of them. Did you see any at the RR tracks? There were two on the left side going from Carranza to Friendship.

Did not see any and I tried to look at each road entrance. I was moving at a good clip, running really late. Were they posted close to Carranza or up the roads? I did see quite a few tree signs ripped off. I was there 2:30-3:00 pm.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I went down Batsto Fireline rd past locks bridge to the burnt out bridge and went to come back up the road that comes up behind the cranberry bogs at Amato's house that is closed had to continue on to Batsto
Although it was obvious that someone recently went through
I went only about 3/4 mile past the road into Lock's today to see if the road was blocked. I turned around and ran the dog around Lock's for awhile.
I can't believe they blocked the road back to Boot Hill and the bogs. That stretch back to 206 is my little world in the fall and winter.
Philosophically, I am wondering if they blocked the side roads off of that blocked road just in case somebody blows through the main blocked road. That's a lot of blocking. But hey, I am sure the volunteers got a huge b#ner helping out with that one too.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben Ruset

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Makes it harder for the owner of Wescoat to get back there. I bet he runs it if he even comes around.