The Sale of Atsion Furnace

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This map shows the sleepy creek pond and the corners of Wescoat. The stones mentioned are long gone and were not there in the 50s when the state surveyed it.

sleepy1.jpg

Reactions: mudpie

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Having discovered this altered section of the river several years ago, I had long wondered what it could have been. It was again brought to mind after reading the 1791 advertisement in the Pennsylvania Gazette, and I wonder if it is this location that they were referring to ...
If nothing else, it is curious. Be sure to rotate it to the South and West view.
http://binged.it/1MwzLIY

Tracker-Jim, FWIW - This is an aerial photo from 1929, don't know if you have seen it? If this is the altered section along the river that you found, it looks a lot like a Fruitland farm to me, don't know this for sure.

Scan.jpg

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Don and all,

Does anyone know what the pond just to the right of the arrow was used for?

That's the old bogs of the Stone Bridge Farm where the Myme Spring goes under the QBR. Just to the right you can see a cleared area also part of the farm, also called the Phillips farm. At one time there was a stone bridge on Quaker Bridge Road, now it's just a pipe. Don

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
Tracker-Jim, FWIW - This is an aerial photo from 1929, don't know if you have seen it? If this is the altered section along the river that you found, it looks a lot like a Fruitland farm to me, don't know this for sure.

View attachment 6346
Don, you may me right. The farm shown in your map is just a tad to the North-west of the spot I pinpointed as the drained area. How big were the Fruitland farm lots? 20 acres? The drained area may still fall within the property boundary for that farm. The only thing is, according to several maps that feature the Fruitland lots, the lots didn't seem to extend beyond Quaker Bridge Road.
Here is an image that shows the drained area and it's proximity to the farm lot...
Fruitland .jpg
The following is a 1873 map that shows Fruitland extending all the way to Apple Pie Hill. It is also one of several maps that show Fruitland not extending beyond Quaker Bridge Road.
Fruitland 1873.jpg
This 1888 map shows the two nearest farms and the drained area. This map however shows the farm in question extending beyond Quaker Bridge Road despite all the maps that I have that show the lots ending at Quaker Bridge.
Fruitland 1888.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Don Catts

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
Here are a few other Advertisements that may be of interest...

(1) Fruitland ad Dec 20, 1866 The Farmers' Cabinet.
Fruitland ad Dec 20, 1866 The Farmers' Cabinet..jpg

(2) Ad for railroad from Atsion to Vincentown January 30, 1869 Daily State Gazette
Ad for railroad from Atsion to Vincentown January 30, 1869 Daily State Gazette.jpg

(3) Raleigh Real estate Co The New York Herald May 8, 1885. (Their history is less than accurate.)
Raleigh Real estate Co The New York Herald  May 8, 1885.jpg

(4) Raleigh forclosure May 14, 1887 New York Herald
Raleigh forclosure May 14, 1887  New York Herald.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Spung-Man

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Don, you may me right. The farm shown in your map is just a tad to the North-west of the spot I pinpointed as the drained area. How big were the Fruitland farm lots? 20 acres? The drained area may still fall within the property boundary for that farm. The only thing is, according to several maps that feature the Fruitland lots, the lots didn't seem to extend beyond Quaker Bridge Road.
Here is an image that shows the drained area and it's proximity to the farm lot...
View attachment 6351
The following is a 1873 map that shows Fruitland extending all the way to Apple Pie Hill. It is also one of several maps that show Fruitland not extending beyond Quaker Bridge Road.
View attachment 6349
This 1888 map shows the two nearest farms and the drained area. This map however shows the farm in question extending beyond Quaker Bridge Road despite all the maps that I have that show the lots ending at Quaker Bridge.
View attachment 6350

Tracker-jim, your drained area is below the farm on the old map, however, I believe you are still within the Fruitland boundaries. The red lines on the map below are approximately where I believe the boundaries were.
It looks like the farms were 20 acres square where possible, with some 10 acre or 1/2 squares being sold. Without question these lots crossed QBR and extend to the center of the river, so the area of these lots are what they are.
My basement flood some years back and I lost a lot of files, I can see what I still have if you want to get into this deeper. I couple of folks that lived along the river were "Banjo Jack" and "The widow woman Mary" both popular fishing holes years later. I'm sure I can find their full names if needed, also Claypole may have been on the river, not sure.

I hope you can follow this
Fruitland Line.jpg

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Great thread! There is a tiny third lot shown too. My hunch is that all three lots are within Fruitland but are older exceptions. Left to right, the first two property lines somewhat match the rectilinear railroad-era metes and bounds (red dashes), but are better aligned to Shamong/Washington Township border (blue dashes). The third parcel almost certainly predated the railroad. Are there records of Fruitland exceptions?
Screen shot 2015-09-30 at 3.50.45 PM.png

S-M

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Great thread! There is a tiny third lot shown too. My hunch is that all three lots are within Fruitland but are older exceptions. Left to right, the first two property lines somewhat match the rectilinear railroad-era metes and bounds (red dashes), but are better aligned to Shamong/Washington Township border (blue dashes). The third parcel almost certainly predated the railroad. Are there records of Fruitland exceptions?
S-M

I have the Wharton survey maps and they show some of those lots. I have found the corners to some of them. Don and I visited the one at the far right but the maps shows it more square than it really is.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
View attachment 6351
View attachment 6349
View attachment 6350

Fruitland most definitely extended across Quaker Bridge.

IMG_0634a.jpg

IMG_0635a.jpg

Reactions: Tracker Jim

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Having discovered this altered section of the river several years ago, I had long wondered what it could have been. /QUOTE]

Tracker-Jim,

just digging up old bones. Thought you would like to see a drawing I made of the altered section of land you discovered on the Mullica River, Atsion River at the time. The red lines on Boyd's map are East Fruitland lots. The lot that you found was owned by the Stone Bridge Farm which was on the other side of Quaker Bridge Road.

Red Lines are EastFruitland Farm lots laid out about 1866
Jim-001.jpg

IMG_8353.JPG

I stand corrected, no pipe, my memory is getting like, "zat ol Grey Mare, it ain't vot it used to be". Guy is correct there is a bridge there. It's not the original stone bridge. It's made of creosoted timbers and planks, old but well built and in pretty good shape.
Don
View attachment 6357

View attachment 6359

View attachment 6360

Remains of the dam used to flood the bogs
View attachment 6361

Is this along the Mullica River Trail? I feel like it looks really, really familiar.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
I took a quick look on Google Maps and noticed it had some property lines in that general vicinity. They are not always 100% accurate speaking from previous experience though.

Attachments

• Atstion - Fruitland - Google Maps.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 297