Apple opposes Judge's order to unlock shooter's phone

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I think your Apple ID must be entered somewhere on your Mac in order for those alerts to appear. I kept my primary Mac on 10.8 because I see no advantage to upgrading and use a lot of old software that would just break.

That is quite a system for someone who "is not a techie"… ;)
Unfortunately, as a graphic designer I have to stay current with OS X and Creative Cloud. Regarding the theme of this thread, it will be interesting to see if the Apple lawyers can make their argument citing the 1st and 5th amendment stick. I'm guessing not.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes it does work with El Capitan. I just don't want to spend the $80 for it when the version I have works perfectly fine.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
My problem is worse, it would cost more like $5000 to upgrade all my old software, and since I'm now retired and only doing occasional projects, it just wouldn't be worth it.

In spite of security and data integrity concerns, I'm really happy with digital. Just now working on a website with lots of my old designs and have been accessing files going back to 1981. Started working seriously with 3d modelling in 1996. OTOH, physical media is a big problem. Lots of the old paper files, rolls of plans, watercolors, photos and negatives are either damaged or just gone. :(

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If you are still interested in this debate I found this very interesting and informative. It is 18 minutes long and rated PG so be prepared for that.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, entertaining.

From the video: "there is no easy side to be on in this case". That is a fact.

In this particular case, where a terrorist killed many people, I'm on the side of law enforcement.

I'm not sure where this will go in the future, but there are many scenarios where criminals can do huge damage using a phone, or he can leave a trail on his phone after the crime that could help convict him, and maybe prevent or solve more crimes.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No matter what you think of Apple as a corporation, they make the best computers there is. The one I have now is the first one I have ever had to have repair work on. I blame that on taking it out in cold weather and getting static. Just yesterday at work they removed Apple computers that we had used for 20 years and one is still in operation. They have always been the leader of the pack in my book in that regards.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
No matter what you think of Apple as a corporation, they make the best computers there is.

Guy, I understand completely that you are sensitive to criticism of Apple because of your loyalty to their product. But I want you to know that when I think of Apple, I never really think of product quality, which by all accounts is usually outstanding. I think of their business practices, which I do not like.

Union Carbide had outstanding quality of product too, they made great methyl isocyanate in Bhopal India.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I installed it and set it up but don't quite understand how it works.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
No matter what you think of Apple as a corporation, they make the best computers there is. The one I have now is the first one I have ever had to have repair work on. I blame that on taking it out in cold weather and getting static. Just yesterday at work they removed Apple computers that we had used for 20 years and one is still in operation. They have always been the leader of the pack in my book in that regards.

That is very debatable, it all depends on its use. ;) In the top 10, the NUDT is usually ranked highest, but it is not USA; the CRAY XK7 comes in 2nd with the IBM BLUE GENE/Q pulling out 3rd. A Dell is 10th. Apple did not make the list. As far as oldest computers still in use; the US military is still using systems built in the 70's and 8o's by DEC. Very scary, eh? :eek:

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Damn, I wish I had gotten the Cray instead of a Mac.

The oldest computer I've seen recently is the point of sale system at a pizza shop in Mays Landing. It uses a light pen to select items on the screen. Does anyone around here even remember light pens? They were the cutting edge in the 1970's and 80's, before the mouse and touchscreen were in wide use. I taught a computer course at SUNY in 1983 and we took a field trip to a company developing software for selling theater tickets where you could pick the seats from a map on the screen with a light pen. Very cool, and very expensive. :cool:

I think the military will phase out all those old systems soon, when SkyNet becomes fully operational.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Well, well, well. Imagine that. I wonder how much they paid the individual, if there is an individual. Maybe a group, maybe not. :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe even Apple itself. A way for both of them to solve the problem.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Maybe even Apple itself.

I don't think so…

http://www.engadget.com/2016/03/21/apple-wants-to-know-how-the-fbi-will-hack-its-phone/

"During a conference call with reporters, Apple attorneys indicated that they would insist on talking to the whoever is providing the exploit and wants to know about the vulnerability if the government insists on keeping the case alive. Which it probably won't.

If the DoJ drops the case, Apple has no legal way of asking for that information."