Where is this?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Trap em out.It's that simple.Trappers just about totally wiped out the America beaver population in less then fifty years. One trapper that knows what He's doing can clear them out right quick.Beaver are persistent,their not that smart,at least not compared to the Trapper.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Trap em out.It's that simple.Trappers just about totally wiped out the America beaver population in less then fifty years. One trapper that knows what He's doing can clear them out right quick.Beaver are persistent,their not that smart,at least not compared to the Trapper.

I believe that was tried in 2009.

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/a-great-day-in-the-pines.5582/

and 2012. They're BAA-ack :D

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/webbs-mill-flooded-again.6784/#post-105015

Reactions: manumuskin

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

It's not that simple in this state Al. I know you mountain men can do what you like out west, but here there are politics here, and humane organizations are very against it. On top of that, the state has a stingy quota system in place.

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
It's not that simple in this state Al. I know you mountain men can do what you like out west, but here there are politics here, and humane organizations are very against it. On top of that, the state has a stingy quota system in place.
Well they do have live traps they can be caught in as well. These must be the type of folks that believe we're aliens on our own planet and have no right to touch ,influence or eat anything we find. They believe food comes from the super market. It's a shame.Webbs MIlls was such a unique,gorgeous place.I"ve been by there but have not stopped there since all this beaver crap started. By the way beaver tail does make a good ground up "Beaver Burger".

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
Had some time on my hands and went by there yesterday. Someone's taken a small section of the dam out. Tracks look like a rubber tire'd back hoe. I'll post some pcs if I can figure out how.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
There are only a few locations like that on the CNJ in those parts where there is a decent amount of newer ballast covering the original cinder roadbed. There is also a neat hidden "relic" of sorts hidden near that same spot. Evidence that I saw that pointed to a past derailment which would show the reasoning for the ballast. Although, I've read in later years there were a lot of "bobbing boxcars" along this route from derailments. There's a lot of evidence along the ties and plates in some spots.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Had some time on my hands and went by there yesterday. Someone's taken a small section of the dam out. Tracks look like a rubber tire'd back hoe. I'll post some pcs if I can figure out how.

I was there again today. The beaver had closed up two of the three area's where water was flowing through. Needless to say I exited there quite wet if you know what I mean. I was swimming .....yea... thats what I was doing.

Reactions: h2ochild and bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was there again today. The beaver had closed up two of the three area's where water was flowing through. Needless to say I exited there quite wet if you know what I mean. I was swimming .....yea... thats what I was doing.

You know, now would be a perfect time for a lot of us to go there en masse and finally remove all the sticks that have built up into those mounds over the past 10 years. Having those sticks in HUGE heaps only makes it much easier for the beaver. They simply bridge the space between them when we turn our backs.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
You know, now would be a perfect time for a lot of us to go there en masse and finally remove all the sticks that have built up into those mounds over the past 10 years. Having those sticks in HUGE heaps only makes it much easier for the beaver. They simply bridge the space between them when we turn our backs.

Butt, butt, you'd be taking away the habitat of one that might not appreciate it ;)

130709625.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

I am all for it. Lets do it. That snake was certainly just spending some quality time there.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
An update. I was there on the 24th, and the water level is the lowest it's been in many years. Maybe the beaver are gone. I hope so, because as you can see by the photos below, they killed a lot of good cedar.
4-24-16A.PNG
4-24-16B.PNG
4-24-16C.PNG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Was there a blockage of any kind? Unless they caught some since I was there most likely they still are there unless someone is really working to keep it open. I was hoping to keep a watch but my weekends have been tied up.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Was there a blockage of any kind? Unless they caught some since I was there most likely they still are there unless someone is really working to keep it open. I was hoping to keep a watch but my weekends have been tied up.

Not at this time Guy. If you look at the below photo, it is still draining very well. I'm going to check again this week. By the way, that sign was removed by someone.

5-3-16.PNG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I visited there today and it was flowing well. The one route was semi blocked so I did my best to not go swimming again and cleared it out. That is the route in your above photo.