It's Still There

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I found it. Your photo Bob reminded me that we went on 5/1/2009 to do the water drop before the hike.

IMG_1606a.jpg

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Yes it is Bob. Bloody Bridge as Scott mentions. I can't find my photo's of it with the planks.

Notice me sliding the water across. Scott's son walked across it as fast as he would walk normally and I struggled to keep my balance.
It's an age thing. I used to be stable in my younger years, now not so much and it sucks!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It does appear we need to be more proactive. I will start working on finding out who to actually contact. I suspect it is the Wharton Super but as we all know he likes roads to be closed. So we may or may not get anywhere there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It's an age thing. I used to be stable in my younger years, now not so much and it sucks!!

True, but in my case it is a hereditary thing. My grandfather was so bad when he would pee he put his hand against the wall in front of him and leaned forward so he did not fall over backwards. My grandmother was always yelling at him because he would get the wall dirty. Even when younger he never walked straight. His brother was the same way and his brothers son is even worse .... but he is blind. I have video of him walking and each time I look at it I shutter because I see myself.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Well, that's not unheard of. Just make certain the State, township, etc. whoever owns or has rights to the road still owns it and has not abandoned it. Haines and DeMarco for example have blocked off roads but did so legally by applying to the proper authorities, then that section of road was abandoned to them. If a person can illegally close a road it's legal for someone else to open it.

1JD, read the exhaustive thread below for more background. Miller Farms LLC obtained a license agreement from the town of Hammonton to have exclusive rights to the road. It was not a typical road vacation by ordinance as is usually done by a municipality.
https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/closing-west-mill-road.11953/

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The legality of this road closure stands in question.The state owns the land on both sides of it and I would presume the state also owns the road.Apparently the guy who closed it claims Hammonton gave it to him.Whilst in the state forest it also is within the City limits of Hammonton.It is a through road that must be seven miles or so long.At one end is a closed off decrepit bridge that has baane down for about ten years and now the other end is closed off.I hear the third road in is closed as well but that road is so bad it's more of a bayou then a road.Nature has it closed off most of the time regardless. If I knew for sure the road was blocked illegally I:"d be the first out there with a torch,well maybe Scott would beat me to it.he's closer.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
1JD, read the exhaustive thread below for more background. Miller Farms LLC obtained a license agreement from the town of Hammonton to have exclusive rights to the road. It was not a typical road vacation by ordinance as is usually done by a municipality.
https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/closing-west-mill-road.11953/
Yes I followed that thread. Without reading all of it again isn't it a land ownership dispute? From that thread it appears Miller is a $$ person?
If so we all know how that works. In the Haines & DeMarco situation the roads crossed a dike [Oswego Lake] and a bog [Baptist Rd] that were eroding away. They wanted the township to maintain or vacate and they would maintain. Lacking $$ and priority the township vacated. I guess the only way to verify if all this is legal is doing some legwork with township records and verify. Maybe a petition can be started to raise attention and start a stink?

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It would be a problem going around it. They would have to fill in wetlands and I don't think the Commission would be happy about that idea.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The question is how far down the road does he thinks he controls. All the way to Pleasant Mills? If so, even a road or bridge still cuts off access to the Nescochague.

And what was the reason he was forced to move his gate from 206? And why did he pick the cedar swamp to place a new one? Easy blocking it? And if they made him remove it from 206 why not make him move this one? Is the state calling it a victory or are they still fighting? We have not had enough information or answers in my mind.

Guy

Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
As far as I am concerned the state owns it all. Apparently, the town of Hammonton and the gate keeper believes differently.

Reactions: manumuskin