2017-18 Winter weather

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
How does it look in the woods? Gonna do a bit of sightseeing on sunday and hit the basics. Are at least the main roads clear and passable? Quaker Bridge, Hampton, and Sandy Causeway? I'd like to take a friend to see the Hampton trestle if Rider's isn't too muddy or blocked with dead trees.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
How does it look in the woods?

Friday, April 13, 2018

SECTION B10 CURRENT FIRE DANGER

danger_veryhigh.102112730_std.gif

TODAY IS A CLASS 4 DAY

BUILDUP INDEX- 32

RELATIVE HUMIDITY- 24%

HAINES INDEX- 4

KBDI- 12

WIND
- SW at 12 mph, gusts to 25

Updated 04/13/18 at 1427 hours

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
We drove and walked around all day yesterday, and it is rough out there. The Batsto river looks completely impassable- you'd be carrying over something every ten feet!

Was at Hampton Furnace and wanted to get to Lower Forge via High Crossing and the east side of the Basto and the road I normally take (Mines Spung, I think) is completely blocked with fallen trees. Ended up going all the way down Tuckerton to the Bulldozed Road, which was somewhat passable though also ridden with debris. Headed down to Quaker Bridge, where the main roadway a few feet west of the bridge is blocked by a giant tree. We intended to drive down to Batsto along Goodwater, but that also was totally blocked. Talked to two hikers in the afternoon who were heading south on the Batona- I warned them of the approaching rain but they seemed pretty unconcerned. Hope they at least made it down to Batsto before it started coming down hard. We drove back out to Atsion, let my kid use the hand pump at Goshen's to fill a few water bottles, and headed south and out of the woods along Sandy Causeway, which is in really good shape and totally clear of debris.

Also, haven't found any ticks on me (yet).

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Just got back from my daily walk out back, we had almost 3 inches of rain here - about twice what they forecast. That is not going to help with road conditions in the pines. ;)

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
I found lots of fallen trees blocking the Batona Trail between Apple Pie Hill and Batsto. NJCF crews were clearing the trail through FPP on Saturday afternoon.