Fall/Winter Stone Searching 2021/2022

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And also from the stone I know about which is near the Sandy Ridge ruins on Carranza Road, it is 684 links and 30 chains (45,163.38 feet) to a stone in the middle of the Fleming Pike (turnpike in deed). This puts it in the area where the road across from Dutchtown on 206 goes to Fleming Pike. That is an unbelievable 9 mile straight property line. Imagine being the chain bearer for that survey. Anyway, as I was not sure of the exact angle because it was magnetic bearings, I ran the line in my computer and noticed if I aligned it with the Fruitland property line in Atsion if landed directly on Fleming Pike.

The red line shows the 9 mile line crossing the blue line which is the Fruitland property. It aligns perfectly.

fruitland.jpg

The problem is Fleming Pike in that area is not in great shape. And most likely the stone is underground so the search may be tough.

fleming.jpg

turnpike3.jpg

Reactions: manumuskin and Boyd

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have been reading over old deeds and am getting a better understanding of many of the places in the Wharton area. One example is Bobby's Causeway. After following one deed (1888) from a stone I know about, it takes me to Fleming Pike at Sandy Causeway. However, where Sandy Causeway of today is located at the intersection of the Price Branch and the Clark's Branch, the 1888 deeds calls this location Bobby's Causeway.

The deed does not call it Fleming Turnpike as well, it just calls it "turnpike." This location is 109.56 feet from the intersection of Sandy Causeway and Fleming Pike.

View attachment 16867
That's where I was hunting last week.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And also from the stone I know about which is near the Sandy Ridge ruins on Carranza Road, it is 684 links and 30 chains (45,163.38 feet) to a stone in the middle of the Fleming Pike (turnpike in deed). This puts it in the area where the road across from Dutchtown on 206 goes to Fleming Pike. That is an unbelievable 9 mile straight property line. Imagine being the chain bearer for that survey. Anyway, as I was not sure of the exact angle because it was magnetic bearings, I ran the line in my computer and noticed if I aligned it with the Fruitland property line in Atsion if landed directly on Fleming Pike.

The red line shows the 9 mile line crossing the blue line which is the Fruitland property. It aligns perfectly.

View attachment 16868

The problem is Fleming Pike in that area is not in great shape. And most likely the stone is underground so the search may be tough.

View attachment 16869

View attachment 16870

I was able to make it there this afternoon. The stone must be underground or gone. I have another one to look for that is in Fleming Pike so I will dig whenever I visit there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We traveled this morning to the controlled burn that occurred on Wednesday in Medford along Atsion road that Dragon mentioned that evening. Here is where we parked my car.

DSC_3853a.jpg

Even though it occurred Wednesday there are still fires burning. This one was slowly working it's way up a large tree leaving just the core.

DSC_3834a.jpg

If the rain does not put it out this tree has about 4 more days to burn.

DSC_3842a.jpg

We found another one but the tree had eventually fallen and the fire is about out.

DSC_3852a.jpg

Our goal as usual was to find as many monuments and stones as we could. We did fairly well.

DSC_3825a.jpg

Someone's mistake 60 plus years ago.

DSC_3826a.jpg

The stone here is circled.

DSC_3847a.jpg

This one is lead and it melted at some point in the past or this week.

DSC_3830a.jpg

DSC_3822a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I thought you cant use metal detectors in a state park or just in historic areas?
You can't. I didn't say I use them, I just answered his question. I only have my hiking bag with me and a walking stick wherever I go. I carry way too much stuff to hold a metal detector. I have a camera, GPS, phone, small shovel, gloves, hat, bag, and a walking stick and constantly leave something on the ground and have to go back for it.

Reactions: Wick

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Thank you for the clarification. Last week there was someone with a metal detector walking near the piles of dirt by the old saw mill in Lebanon SF. I thought it was illegal but was not sure.
You can't. I didn't say I use them, I just answered his question. I only have my hiking bag with me and a walking stick wherever I go. I carry way too much stuff to hold a metal detector. I have a camera, GPS, phone, small shovel, gloves, hat, bag, and a walking stick and constantly leave something on the ground and have to go back for it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thank you for the clarification. Last week there was someone with a metal detector walking near the piles of dirt by the old saw mill in Lebanon SF. I thought it was illegal but was not sure.
Yes, it is illegal. Flying drones is as well but you see videos of that all over Facebook.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Was out early this morning looking for a stone and traveled though Greenwood and checked out the burn area. I had not been there in a while and noticed some of the main roads have this sign.

DSC_3870a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't think so. They must really want everyone to stay away from Hidden Lakes. Both roads leading there had that sign.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Is this part of that program they started last year (or the year before), where they closed a list of places in the WMA's that were getting abused? There's a thread about that somewhere, I believe Menantico Ponds was one of the places on the list.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Is this part of that program they started last year (or the year before), where they closed a list of places in the WMA's that were getting abused? There's a thread about that somewhere, I believe Menantico Ponds was one of the places on the list.

Could be. That area was closed. Maybe the signs went up then.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Here you go... you actually posted about this yourself!

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/wmas-closing-areas.13776/#post-165516

If you don't have Facebook here it is.

Due to the unprecedented unauthorized use of several portions of the Wildcat Ridge, Greenwood Forest, Winslow, Cedar Lake and Menantico Wildlife Management Areas, six localized areas are being closed to public access to protect the public, Conservation Police Officers and the surrounding habitat. Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 23:7-9 and N.J.A.C. 7:25-2.26 the emergency closures will be effective immediately and run through September 15, 2021. Unlawful entry into the areas carries a fine from $50 to $1,500. Maps outlining the closures can be found here: www.njfishandwildlife.com/news/2021/wma_closures21.htm.
Northern Region – Wildcat Ridge WMA (Rockaway Twp., Morris County)
• A posted area along Splitrock Reservoir (commonly referred to as the cliffs) within the Wildcat Ridge WMA, starting approximately 8/10 of a mile north of the western side of the dam at Splitrock Road along an unmarked trail that follows the shoreline terminating ¼ of a mile past the area of the cliffs.
Central Region – Greenwood Forest WMA (Ocean County, two separate areas)
• A posted area commonly referred to as Parkers Pit within Greenwood Forest WMA: all Division of Fish and Wildlife property within the area beginning at the intersection of Rt. 539 and Bryant Rd. and following Bryant Rd. to its intersection with Jones Rd.; along Jones Rd. to its intersection with Cooks Rd.; along Cooks Rd. to its intersection with Rt. 539; along Rt. 539 to the starting point at Bryant Rd.
• A posted area commonly referred to as the Clay Holes within Greenwood Forest WMA: all Division of Fish and Wildlife property within the following roads and boundaries beginning at the intersection of Lauries Rd. and Woodmansie Rd.; travelling southeast on Woodmansie Rd. to intersection of Clay Mine Rd.; North on Clay Mine Rd. to its intersection with Bloody Ridge Rd.; West on Bloody Ridge Rd. to the boundary of Greenwood WMA and Woodland Sand Company; follow boundary of Greenwood WMA and Woodland Sand Company to intersection with Lauries Rd.; follow Lauries Rd. to the starting point at Woodmansie Rd.
Southern Region – Winslow WMA (Winslow, Camden County)
• A portion of Winslow WMA commonly referred to as Winslow East or the Hot Mix section: all Division of Fish and Wildlife property within the boundary beginning at the intersection of Rt. 322 and Piney Hollow Rd.; north along Piney Hollow Rd. to its intersection with Folsom Rd. (Rt. 73); southeast on Folsom Rd. to its intersection with the Camden-Gloucester County boundary; south along the Camden-Gloucester County boundary to its intersection with Rt. 322; west along Rt. 322 to the starting point at the intersection with Piney Hollow Rd.
Southern Region – Cedar Lake WMA (Monroe Twp., Gloucester County)
• A portion of Cedar Lake WMA commonly referred to as the Sand Plant: all Division of Fish and Wildlife property within the boundary beginning at the intersection of Jackson Rd. and W. Piney Hollow Rd.; north on W. Piney Hollow Rd. to Rt. 322; east on Rt. 322 to Cains Mill Rd.; south on Cains Mill Rd. to Malaga Rd.; south on Malaga Rd. to E. Reading Ave.; south on E. Reading Ave. to Lake Ave.; south on Lake Ave. to Jackson Rd.; west on Jackson Rd. to the starting point at W. Piney Hollow Rd.
Southern Region – Menantico Ponds WMA (Millville, Cumberland County)
• All Division of Fish and Wildlife property identified as the Menantico Ponds WMA and the access road into the area from Route 49.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I recall the signs along Kerns off of Claymine being in place for years. I remember seeing them posted at least five years ago or more. I remember seeing restricted signs back off of 72 around the same time along some of the back roads heading into Greenwood.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The signs are new since I was last there and even the nails look new. I suspect they are from the closing last year.

Reactions: Boyd