Fall/Winter Stone Searching 2021/2022

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We returned to the Sykes stone today in the burned area. I dug around the side that angles down and was able to get my camera in and get a few close shots. That stone is seriously deep underground so no damage at all was done.

Before the chalk.

DSC_4093a.jpg

DSC_4094a.jpg

Jessica injured again.
IMG_6248a.jpg

• Sad
Reactions: John and manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had a very interesting stone I was going to look for today but had to postpone the search because the area is mostly wetlands and I did not want to have to turn back. So I switched plans and went alone to look for two other stones. I found nothing. In any event, while walking down a road in Wharton I came to the path I wanted to take and a Park Police vehicle was parked at the path. Nobody was in it. So I was certain I would run into them along the path but never did after walking it a mile. Not sure what was going on. I never saw anyone at all today.

The woods were really nice along the edges of the cedar swamps and open wetlands.

DSC_4107a.jpg

DSC_4110a.jpg

DSC_4112a.jpg

So next week hopefully I will have a very interesting stone to show you. Maybe!

Guy

Reactions: Boyd and manumuskin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
So next week hopefully I will have a very interesting stone to show you. Maybe!

Guy

Well, I was out of the house this morning a little after 6 and in the woods before 7. I got within 300 feet of where I wanted to go and I could not get across the stream. I was alone, and sinking in the mud over my boots and having trouble standing and moving forward or backward. This was troubling so I bailed. I will wait until the summer when the water level is down and return.

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
For the most part stone searching is winding down but I still have a few I am working on. The most interesting one should be found next weekend. Today, we went looking for a stone on state land off of 532. The road only goes about half way to the location so I knew it would be a summertime push through heavy woods to get there. I was uncertain if I wanted to do that in the event the stone was not there. We decided to go and when we reached the location where the road ended in the middle we discovered that someone had extended the road. We followed it since it was heading in our direction and it was obvious someone had really put an effort into this road. It eventually meandered to private property and then continued on. So it is obvious the owners of that property were the ones who had seriously extended the road across state land.

Here is the road trimmed back and mowed with a friend of ours standing guard.

DSC_4179a.jpg

Female I believe.

DSC_4178a.jpg

DSC_4177a.jpg

And the trip did not flush up the stone so we returned to the car and headed on. This was the best year ever for lady slippers and if you did not find one you must have been looking up in the air. Here is most likely the only one you have viewed with Lilly of the Valley surrounding it.

DSC_4180a.jpg

Last edited: