Chatsworth Atv park

Status
Not open for further replies.

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
I always have thought about what I would do it I saw someone destroying the woods, and I keep wondering who would I call and how would I explain where it was. It is not like you can call 911 or give them an address. Plus, I honestly believe no matter who you call if you tell them someone was riding an ATV is the mud they would not consider it a priority. By the time they get there, if they even do, they are long gone.

Guy

Guy, here's the number for state dispatch: 877-927-6337. Depending on where you are, they can send a state forest ranger, a state trooper, a local cop, or maybe a conservation officer. Sometimes you know exactly where you are, sometimes you might only be able to give an approximation. Some law enforcement folks consider it a priority, and others don't, and of course it depends on what else is happening at the time. Also true that when the law gets there it may be too late. My point is that if you call, there is a chance something can be done. If you don't call, you guaratee that nothing will be done.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy, here's the number for state dispatch: 877-927-6337. Depending on where you are, they can send a state forest ranger, a state trooper, a local cop, or maybe a conservation officer. Sometimes you know exactly where you are, sometimes you might only be able to give an approximation. Some law enforcement folks consider it a priority, and others don't, and of course it depends on what else is happening at the time. Also true that when the law gets there it may be too late. My point is that if you call, there is a chance something can be done. If you don't call, you guaratee that nothing will be done.

Thank you for the number. I will add it to my phone. Can you explain who "state dispatch" is?" Environmental, police?

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
And so BronzeMan, here is how I would answer you if you had approached this with civility

"Bob, are you certain that is NJCF property? I am somewhat familiar with the area. I realize George Cluen owns a lot of property in the area, and people ride there all the time. I'm not sure if he owns that portion of the South Branch, but he may."

Yes, I am certain BronzeMan. I know some of the Land Stewards at NJCF, and they assure me they own a good swath of the property on both sides of the South Branch, both upstream and downstream of the railroad crossing.

"Bob, I have seen that oily type of residue in the swamps before, and am somewhat familiar with it. To me it looks like it may originate from plant material."

Not so in this case BronzeMan. The oily sheen you are used to seeing is bacteria that obtains its energy from iron and manganese. You can tell it is that and not petroleum by breaking it up with a stick. If it breaks apart and does not readily rejoin, it is bacteria. If it does rejoin right away, it is petroleum. Not only did this rejoin right away, but the water was moving in that shot, and the color was lighter than the sheen bacteria produces, making me suspect brake linkage lube.

"Bob, perhaps the ATV use in a pristine bog is actually good for it, that it may generate new life? I'm not sure, since its not my field, but I have heard of land restoration techniques wherein locals having ATV's are solicited to come in and create ruts and tracks such as that. I've heard its good for the land".

In some cases, openings created by vehicles do help the plant life out by increasing the opening to allow sun to penetrate. I have even seen spungs that have great plant life due to that occasional vehicle keeping out the larger tree seedlings. But the chewing up of the terrain in this area is not a pretty sight to behold, I don't care what eventually grows there.

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
Thank you for the number. I will add it to my phone. Can you explain who "state dispatch" is?" Environmental, police?

Guy

I was assuming that it's the main state police headquarters, because a state tropper gave it to me, and the slip of paper is labelled, "Trenton Dispatch." Maybe somebody out there can either confirm or correct that impression.

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
One thing that all of us could benefit from would be joining treadlightly.org. There is alot to be learned, but I think the most important lesson is to take care of the areas where you ride so they remain open. It even has a section on riding mountain bikes responsibly.
Anyway, Russ and I are going to ride ATV's tomorrow and then go have a beer together. Should be very interesting!
Tom

That's a good point, Tom. I don't always follow all the principles of Treadlightly, but the overall theme is something we should all practice. Also, the ability of the ORV community to self-police is a key issue, in my opinion. I venture to say that people would be free to ride ATV's on the state lands, and the enviro groups would not be so opposed to dirt bikes and ATV's on state lands, except that the irresponsible riding out there appears to be impossible to police properly. In other words, the bad guys have ruined it for the good guys. Looking forward to some riding and a few beers! (In that order. :guinness:)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ben, surely you don't mean that riders such as those might attack you. You mean just because they operate their vehicles irresponsibly, they strike you as potentially violent?

I think any time you photograph or video people without their permission you risk a confrontation. I would not like to be photographed while I was hiking through the woods, and would likely be very upset about it.

You never know who the person you may be taking pictures of is. They could be sane, they could be crazy. They could be armed. You never know. It has nothing to do with ATV riders.

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Russ & Tom

All,
Today I got Russ out on an ATV. We spent some time going over the safe operation and Russ took his time riding slowly to get aquainted with his machine, but in no time we were off exploring my little piece of paradise.
SH101618.JPG

Russ is going to hear it over at the PPA!
SH101621.JPG

SH101624.JPG

SH101623.JPG

I think we both had a great time, didn't venture far but had a lot of meaningful discussion. We both had hoped more would have joined us but we had a nice ride, a nice talk, and a couple nice beers. I'm sure we'll be getting together again.
Tom

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Sorry I didn't make it either. I had family over. I'm glad you two got together and Russ got a chance to ride. I bet he is going to be an avid ATV enthusiast now:D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You can have fun and not destroy the pines. They problem is not everyone can do the same.

It looks like you had a great time.

Guy

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Guy, you and Jeff are right. I'd be glad to do it again anytime. We went over alot of the regional characteristics of this section of old Whiting which, unfortunately, will be swallowed up by senior housing in the not-too-distant future.
Tom

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
sorry i didnt make it Tom. I was transporting my pet rat (and his new buddy) to their new home, all the way up in Milford NJ (what a pretty area.. right on the DE river). so yeah - found a home for him. actually had a few ppl who wanted him as a pet. one from this site too.

Glad you guys had fun. yea, senior housing is a sure fire way to have land developed. one thing you can count on (RE: the pines), the responsible off-road enthusiasts want to avoid development of that area at all costs. i dont care what the irresponsible users want. i hope you guys had on proper riding boots today. work boots don't offer much protection.

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
All,
Today I got Russ out on an ATV. We spent some time going over the safe operation and Russ took his time riding slowly to get aquainted with his machine, but in no time we were off exploring my little piece of paradise.
Russ is going to hear it over at the PPA! I think we both had a great time, didn't venture far but had a lot of meaningful discussion. We both had hoped more would have joined us but we had a nice ride, a nice talk, and a couple nice beers. I'm sure we'll be getting together again.
Tom

Thanks again for your hospitality, Tom! And thanks for being a patient instructor. Yeah, that is definitely a lot of fun. I can see how you can hooked on it. And the conversation definitely gets more interesting as the beer goes down the hatch.

whitingrider

Explorer
Jun 28, 2007
Whiting
Yeah, Ben, I've been following that story. Funny how Russ & I were riding ATV's at the same time.
There has got to be alot more to this story.
There was a similar incident in north Jersey where a conservation officer killed a native american. I think the officer is going to be tried, but I'm not sure. I'll look for the article.
Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.