Deadly Traps in Wharton SF

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
i don't in particular.. i was only joking.. just seemed fitting w/ the way the conversation was going.. do you two have a history of this ?

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
"someone that's so blinded by ideology that they are willing to do whatever it takes to convince other people that their way of thinking is right." .

I have been to meetings in the SJ area and read newspaper articles where the presenter and in the case of a newspaper, the interviewee or writer fit that comment to a tee...

by using exaggerations, staging photos and all other types of misleading information ... It was kind of funny, sad and upsetting all at the same time..

but I certainly would not consider them terrorists...

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
I have been to meetings in the SJ area and read newspaper articles where the presenter and in the case of a newspaper, the interviewee fit that comment to a tee...

by using exaggerations, staging photos and all other types of misleading information ... It was kind of funny, sad and upsetting all at the same time..

Medford - I think I am "reading b/t your written lines" and hearing you loud and clear.

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
I have been to meetings in the SJ area and read newspaper articles where the presenter and in the case of a newspaper, the interviewee or writer fit that comment to a tee...

but I certainly would not consider them terrorists...

Hey Med, you quoted Ben, but ascribed it to me. In any case, if your message was intended for me, your remarks are too vague. Please clarify.

Medford Piney

Explorer
Feb 25, 2008
Medford
Hey Med, you quoted Ben, but ascribed it to me. In any case, if your message was intended for me, your remarks are too vague. Please clarify.

I pulled it out of your post (#36), it wasn't really directed towards anyone or anything, when I read it, I thought of diffrent things I have heard or seen throught my lifetime.

One example could be the "Turf wars" going on for the high schools and towns with the artifical turf vs grass..

there are other things I can think of, but again it was not directed toward anything or anyone, just a general comment

Mar 1, 2008
bruset and russel please continue your debate. i found it to be very insightful and relevant to current events. you both seem to be very informed so your exchange of ideas is beneficial to all the members of this board.

thanks!

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I hope it's not considered flaming if I post about the topic of this thread? <Curly of The Three Stooges laugh> "Nyuk-nyuk." :D

I was about 1/4 mile south of Carranza road on the Batona Trail four years ago when I stumbled upon some trees that had been cut down and tied together in an X-pattern to block the trail. It was on a section of the trail where it's wide enough to drive a vehicle. In front of this blockade was a crudely painted plywood sign that said 'KEEP OUT!' I noticed a fresh walking path had been suspiciously cut around this blockade. That's a common tactic used by people who plant booby traps because they know most people will take the easiest route around an obstacle.

Well I walked around this blockade through the brush and avoided the new path, but then I thought, "What if some psycho did booby trap that fresh cut path? What will happen to the next person that comes this way?" So I picked up a tree branch and went back and poked around the ground. Sure enough, somebody had placed a board with nails it in a shallow pit and covered it over with leaves and pine needles.

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
I was about 1/4 mile south of Carranza road on the Batona Trail four years ago when I stumbled upon some trees that had been cut down and tied together in an X-pattern to block the trail. ... Sure enough, somebody had placed a board with nails it in a shallow pit and covered it over with leaves and pine needles.

I think we all agree that this is a stupid and despicable thing. The person who did it should be arrested and tried for criminal mischief or whatever. He/she deserves severe punishment. But it isn't terrorism.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
Russell, you seem to be the only one disagreeing on this, so im going to direct this at you, in a polite, concise way.

when "groups" give threats of bombs (on public transportation.. be it airplanes, trains, buses, etc), in order to keep ppl from traveling and hurt a country's economy, that's terrorism. what are these yo-yo's doing out in the pines ? putting some dangerous stuff out there, in hopes that one or two ppl see it, get hurt by it, whatever.. and the word spreads like wildfire. most stable minded ppl do not wish to recreate in areas where they could be harmed by other malicious ppl, soooo, as a result, less ppl will recreate in the pines.. mission accomplished. they accomplished their objective by creating fear and worry in others (instilled terror)... you're entitled to your opinion, but as it's already been illustrated, you will likely have trouble getting others to agree with you, that this is not terrorism.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I'm pretty sure it wasn't terrorists because I posted a sign at the entrance to the trail which says, 'WARNING This Area Has Been Treated With Pork By-Products.':pigfly: (juuuust kidding)

My guess is that the person who erected that blockade was upset with the people who leave the horse trails near Carranza and ride their horses on the Batona Trail. We all know what the horses leave behind. It's not too difficult to step around it during daylight, but nighttime is another story. I remember one time I walked through that area after dark, then when I was driving home I kept thinking, "What the heck is that smell?" :)

G. Russell Juelg

Explorer
Jul 31, 2006
Burlington County
Russell, you seem to be the only one disagreeing on this, so im going to direct this at you, in a polite, concise way.

when "groups" give threats of bombs (on public transportation.. be it airplanes, trains, buses, etc), in order to keep ppl from traveling and hurt a country's economy, that's terrorism. what are these yo-yo's doing out in the pines ? putting some dangerous stuff out there, in hopes that one or two ppl see it, get hurt by it, whatever.. and the word spreads like wildfire. most stable minded ppl do not wish to recreate in areas where they could be harmed by other malicious ppl, soooo, as a result, less ppl will recreate in the pines.. mission accomplished. they accomplished their objective by creating fear and worry in others (instilled terror)... you're entitled to your opinion, but as it's already been illustrated, you will likely have trouble getting others to agree with you, that this is not terrorism.

Mark, I'm with you 100% concerning people who use bomb threats and other large scale acts to instill terror. But I certainly don't think any of those people are setting booby traps in the pines.

And I don't think it is at all accurate to think that anyone has committed any form of terrorism in setting traps such as the ones we have been discussing. Why? Simply because these traps--as stupid and disgusting and dangerous as they may be--do not instill terror.

I don't think anyone can honestly say that he is terrified about this situation. I suspect none of us will stop visiting the pines due to this situation. (Nor do the acts have any large scale impact, nor are the acts clearly designed to achieve any political objective--two components of what we normally consider acts of terrorism).

Whether or not anyone in the entire world agrees with me is completely beside the point. The only thing that matters is whether or not I have a logical position. So far, no one has proposed a logical counter argument to my position. I remain willing to listen, though.

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
Mark, I'm with you 100% concerning people who use bomb threats and other large scale acts to instill terror.

So far, no one has proposed a logical counter argument to my position. I remain willing to listen, though.

1) my name is Bob

2) that is your OPINION

Status
Not open for further replies.