Boyd's Map of the Pines beta available

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just finished loading them on the NUVI Boyd. They keep getting betterer and betterer :dance:

Thanks again for all the effort your putting into this.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I have a question that maybe someone can answer. When my 750 arrives, will I be able to have the pre-loaded City Navigator + US Topo + NJ Pines maps all loaded into the unit at the same time and just be able to switch to whichever I want to use? I know my 60CS has City Navigator + US Topo loaded and I can just disable/enable them in the map menu screen. Also, does the 750 utilize Mapsource for transfer maps data between the unit and the computer?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Yep nascar, that should be no problem. But you will want to get an SD memory card.

Otherwise you will have a conflict because you can only have one supplemental map on each memory device. So if you load the Map of the Pines first, then install US Topo it will erase the pines.

Instead, get a memory card - they are cheap - 2GB is a good size. Put the card in the Nuvi and connect to your computer. If you don't already have a mini USB cable you may need to purchase one. If you have a digital camera then that is probably the right cable for the Nuvi.

Plug into your computer and it will recognize as TWO external disk drives (such as E: and F: on a PC). In this example, the F: drive would be the memory card. Create a new folder on the F: drive and name it Garmin. Now drag the map of the pines file (gmapsupp.img) into this Garmin folder. I believe 46er has done something similar with his Nuvi.

While the GPS is plugged into the computer, run Mapsource. It should recognize your Nuvi 750 and list its unit ID. You can now install a section of the topo maps into the Nuvi's internal memory.

When finished, use "safely remove hardware", restart the GPS and you're all set. See my instructions for selecting which map you want to use - I show a screenshot of a Nuvi with all three maps on it. It is also possible to do the opposite and install US Topo on the memory card and the Pines on internal memory, but it gets just a bit more confusing. :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Boyd answered the same question for me, see the quote below.

The way I now have the files stored are;

The City & Boyds Pines map are on the NUVI

My selection from TOPO 2008 is on the SD card.

I then switch on & off what I want within the NUVI under MAP SETTINGS.

The simple rule for filenames is that you may have one gmapsupp.img file in the Garmin folder of your Nuvi's built-in memory, and a second gmapsupp.img file in the Garmin folder on an SD card.

But the reality is more complicated actually. Since you have a Nuvi 750 there are a lot of possibilities... if you want to thoroughly confuse yourself, read this: http://forums.gpsreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=10312

What you're doing is a good way to make all three maps available on your Nuvi though, which is what I have as well:

nuvimap.jpg

I am looking at different ways to make this work on the handheld units like the 60csx and hope to post a "howto" soon. Unfortunately they only have one form of memory and don't recognize different filenames, so a different trick will be needed.

Actually, no. If you have a Nuvi and it only contains the original built-in City Navigator maps (if you haven't added any maps to it yourself), then you don't really need to use an SD card. You can just follow my instructions on page 1 and put the gmapsupp.img file in the Garmin directory of the Nuvi's internal memory.

In fact, some people might be using the pre-loaded SD card version of US Topo on their Nuvi. If so, then you CANNOT add the Map of the Pines to the card. DO NOT attempt to change anything on one of Garmin's pre-loaded cards! In this case, just use my instructions on the first page of this thread and load the map in the Nuvi's internal memory.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Get the DVD! The SD card only has a couple states and costs about $80. The map will be locked to that one SD card also, and you can't make a working copy even for a backup. The SD version also will not work on your computer for viewing the maps or doing planning.

The DVD version costs about $100 but includes the entire US. It doesn't require any unlock codes like the city maps, so you can install it on more than one GPS - you can also use on your 60c. It includes the Mapsource program and all the maps get installed on your PC when you first load the program. After that you use mapsource to transfer the sections you want to your GPS'es.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
46er, with you having your US Topo on an SD card, do you recommend that I buy US Topo already on the SD card or get the DVD + the SD card to copy the maps to?

Ditto what Boyd said. I got the DVD from a guy in Browns Miil on EBay for about $80, you get more for your money with the DVD.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yep, you're all set. See my instructions a few posts above about how to install topo to internal memory and the pines on the SD card.

If you want to do it the other way - pines in internal memory and topo on the SD card, it's a little different. First copy the gmapsupp.img file of the pines to the Garmin directory on the Nuvi's internal memory - this will probably be drive E:

Now fire up mapsource and select the US Topo maps you want to transfer to the Nuvi. When choosing the Send to GPS function, look at the dropdown menu of choices. One of them will say something like Storage Card Reader F: - that's what you want. If you put the topo maps directly on the nuvi they will erase the pines maps. Mapsource will see your SD card as a separate item and that's what you need to pick.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Boyd, question on loading to the Etrex Vista. I finally found the usb/serial adapter I had and started to load the Vista using the 'SendMap20' method, USB mode won't work. I had to remove files B1, B2 & B3 to get it into the 23mb on the Vista. The files total 22mb. What is the result of not having those additional files?

This is sooo slow compared to the NUVI, the adapter acts as a COM connection so I don't get USB speed. Doing this you also have to chose the COM port in SendMap before it will connect, auto wouldn't work for me. The interface setting in the Vista is plain 'Garmin'. I'll let you know how it goes, but at this rate it will probably be tomorrow :bang:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Are you using the Classic version of the map? The Nuvi version is not going to work very well. The map segments are numbered as you would read a page:

B1....B2....B3
C1....C2....C3

So you will be missing the northern section.... that will be everything (more or less) north of Tabernacle. I wonder if it will understand the TYP file which is included in the mapset (you did include that when you sent the maps, right)? Not sure if that will work, and if it doesn't then the map will probably look terrible on your GPS... sorry.

My first GPS was a Magellan Meridian Gold and that had a serial interface, also had a StreetPilot 2620 with a serial interface. They are really S-L-O-W. Maybe time to retire the Vista :)

Let me know how it works out...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yes, I am using the Classic version & the TYP was included with each attempt. I got tired of waiting for it as it semed to be hung at 63%, so I just loaded the TYP file and one other file, just to make sure the entire process was working, which it did. I'm going to charge the Vista's battery and let it go all day if I have too, the north/south break is workable for me, I'll just let it load overnight the day before I need it.

Maybe time to retire the Vista :)

That is an excellent suggestion, b'day is coming up very shortly. Perhaps when we have a new prez, I'll have a new Garmin :guinness:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm going to charge the Vista's battery and let it go all day if I have too

Well it took 3 1./2 hours to load the 3 southern files and the TYP file. There were no POI's to be found. Given the limited area and loss of other data I decided to use the selected TOPO2008 maps via MapSource as they provide enough detail on the little Vista.. The NUVI hums along just fine and gets the most use from me anyways. Thanks Boyd for the help.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Well, my Nuvi 750 arrived today. It's a great unit from what I can tell. I "think" that I was able to get Boyd's maps and Topo loaded. I chose to have Topo on the SD card and the Pines on the Nuvi memory. From what I can tell, all is well.

I have a question that's GPS related, not necessarily Boyd's related. In the MapSource that I already had on my computer, I have City Navigator 2008 and Topo 2008 loaded. How do I get the City Navigator 2009 maps from the Nuvi to MapSource, so I can use the latest maps for local searching, viewing, etc? I frequently use MapSource locally to view the maps, create routes, check distance, etc.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
How do I get the City Navigator 2009 maps from the Nuvi to MapSource

Using MapSource you can download from the NUVI to your computer. There are 2 symbols on the Toolbar; one for upload and one for download. Check the Help section under 'Transferring and Saving MapSource Data'. I have done it with the Vista, but not yet with the NUVI.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Using MapSource you can download from the NUVI to your computer. There are 2 symbols on the Toolbar; one for upload and one for download.

Sorry, it's not that easy 46er (although it should be). That will only let you transfer routes, tracks and waypoints. Mapsource can only send map segments TO the GPS. It cannot receive them FROM the GPS. The official answer is that you would need to buy the maps on DVD and install them on your PC.

Try calling Garmin and tell them you want to use the maps on your PC and naturally you assumed this would be possible. People have reported a variety of results with this, depending on who you talk to, how nice you are, and how persistent you are. Typically, I gather they will offer to send you the DVD for $15. But some people get lucky and get it for nothing.

Another possibility.... does your 750 have the newest maps on it (City Navigator NT 2009)? If not, then you are probably eligible for a free map update which you can download. If so, when you download the maps and install on your GPS, if the software finds Mapsource on your PC already it will install the maps automatically. When you register your GPS at garmin.com it should tell you if you are eligible for a free update.

Finally, if all else fails and you just want a "hack", see my post above about getting the pines maps into mapsource. Others have reported this technique also works to copy the maps from the GPS to your computer. In this case, you would connect the GPS to your PC, then open it as a disk. You will find a big file in the Garmin folder called gmapprom.img. Those are the City Navigator maps. Use the trick I describe here: http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showpost.php?p=58657&postcount=30

But be careful, if you aren't comfortable messing around with computer files it's best not to try this, you could mess things up if you do something wrong...

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
How silly of me to think that a manufacturer might standardize things between products. I guess its one of the ways they keep folks from sharing and helping with their financials : )

The NUVI can use the 2009 update, just have not gotten around to it. I will give them a call and see about geting the CD instead of downloading it. It is not a big deal as I really don't need City Navigator on the Vista, probably not enough memory to hold it anyhow :argh:

No problem messing with computer files, I did it for 37 years on large systems before I was freed :dance:

Thanks for the MapSource info, I'll give it a whirl.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Thanks. Yes my 750 came with with City Navigator 2009 pre-loaded. I tried getting the maps from the GPS to Map Source, just like I've done for years with my 60CS, but it does not work. That sort of sucks if you ask me. Like I said, I use Map Source quite frequently to build routes, measure distances, etc and I thought it would be nice to move the 2009 maps from the Nuvi to Map Source. I already have Navigator 2008 installed into Map Source.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I will give them a call and see about geting the CD instead of downloading it.

46er: Actually I was addressing Nascar's question.... Are you eligible for the free map update? I believe Garmin's policy is that you get free updates for 90 days since the first time your GPS acquires a satellite signal. There is really no reason to get the DVD (not CD... the maps are much too big for that) unless you just don't like downloading. It will take an hour or more to download, depending on your connection speed, but that's no big deal IMO. They will probably charge you something for shipping/handling (hence the $15) for the DVD.

Nascar: that's just the way Garmin's GPS'es (StreetPilot, Nuvi) which have pre-loaded maps have always been... cavaet emptor. If you want the maps on your PC, use one of the options I described above: call Garmin, be really nice, and see what they offer. Otherwise, rip them into mapsource using the hack I describe (this is of course not officially supported and may have some issues).

Happy exploring :)