I will not ask
I will not ask
I will not ask

:rofl:

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Must have been ground into a road a long, long, long time ago. That road existed in the 1930's.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.759504796225244&lng=-74.66558575630188&z=16&type=nj1930&gpx=

Edit: Also, if this thread turns into the last one, I'm going to slag it and be handing out 48 hour bans for the troublemakers.

The picture of the truck was taken here, in the wetlands, not the old road.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.759232623574654&lng=-74.6599531173706&z=15&type=h&gpx=

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.759232623574654&lng=-74.6599531173706&z=15&type=nj1930&gpx=

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.759232623574654&lng=-74.6599531173706&z=15&type=nj1995&gpx=
it looked like this until the fire of 1999.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
Still my whole thing about is teh need of a trail sysytem. That there to a untrained eye looks like a road with a mudhole in it. It isn't just a set of ruts going into the grassy savannah. When you are told to stay on the main trail, this appears to be a main trail.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Still my whole thing about is teh need of a trail sysytem. That there to a untrained eye looks like a road with a mudhole in it. It isn't just a set of ruts going into the grassy savannah. When you are told to stay on the main trail, this appears to be a main trail.

I agree that to someone new to the area it looks like another road, and I never noticed the signs we are familar with "NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES".

Just showing it like it is and was.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Was a road created in the bed of an intermittent stream that you can see on the USGS quads

Yes, and it was created by the Forest Fire Service if Ed is right about them creating a stupid fire break in that area. That scar was created by a bulldozer. This problem is better than half their fault.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Road

Balloons are probably from NOX2

So now we go from illeagal fourwheeling to accusing people of hitting nitrous? I realize you used the word probably, but this is a big accusation with little to no proof.

Moving on, I have to agree with Bob's satement about the road that truck is on and the forest fire service's creation of it. If it is not a road, why to the SPP use it to patrol?

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Yes, and it was created by the Forest Fire Service if Ed is right about them creating a stupid fire break in that area. That scar was created by a bulldozer. This problem is better than half their fault.

Yes Bob, that is right.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Exactly. They were pushing into the wetlands to the west of there before that, but the aerials prove that location started after the fire. That is why the PPA 10 point plan has a good point that the FFS needs to block off all roads they make to fight a fire.

Guy

That seeds a great thought Guy. Push for them to just block that road off....the big "U" that goes from RR track to RR track. In fact, both roads approaching that wetland along the tracks on the south side of the tracks, plus don't allow anyone to cross the track from the North. We can live with that, and maybe they'll leave the rest of the Pines alone.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
Exactly. They were pushing into the wetlands to the west of there before that, but the aerials prove that location started after the fire. That is why the PPA 10 point plan has a good point that the FFS needs to block off all roads they make to fight a fire.

Guy

If this idea were to come to fruition there would be no question if it is an established roadway or "created" for another purpose.

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
If this idea were to come to fruition there would be no question if it is an established roadway or "created" for another purpose.
a new mapped trail system is a good a idea but still will not solve anything , because most of the people on here know where and where not to go , but all the outsiders that already tearing things up either wont know any better or just wont care and are will still go off the marked trails , with the lack of patrol and authority the trail system is useless

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010

I highly doubt the FF Service drove a bulldozer down the stream channel, it would have gotten stuck like the Dodge.

I think the trail they made was around on edge.

And the bul dozer didn't create a road 150 feet wide or drive through and destroy he vernal ponds.

And if they did drive through the area once for a fire 10+ years ago, it would have recovered.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
with the lack of patrol and authority the trail system is useless

I agree. At this point though if you are off the map theres no question as to if the person is legal or not. Theres so many gray areas.Another thing is to put more officers on ATVs that way the claim of not being able to get to places is wiped. block off trails effectively to popular illegal spots. Right now the blockages that I have seen the state use are nothing more than a fun obstacle for an irresponsible individual.

Pines Lover

Explorer
Aug 15, 2010
Must have been ground into a road a long, long, long time ago. That road existed in the 1930's.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.759504796225244&lng=-74.66558575630188&z=16&type=nj1930&gpx=

Edit: Also, if this thread turns into the last one, I'm going to slag it and be handing out 48 hour bans for the troublemakers.

That road the Dodge is stuck in is the stream channel and the 1930 map shows no road at that location. Neither do my USGS quads, they show a stream channel.

Make an I Map, 1930 with the stream layer.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I highly doubt the FF Service drove a bulldozer down the stream channel, it would have gotten stuck like the Dodge.

I think the trail they made was around on edge.

And the bul dozer didn't create a road 150 feet wide or drive through and destroy he vernal ponds.

And if they did drive through the area once for a fire 10+ years ago, it would have recovered.
What they did was open up a 4x4 heaven by plowing the trail. ZBack then nowhere near as many people were educated to the point of today. If they were I guess they just didn't care. If you don't believe a bulldozer could plow that trail, let me take ya on a little journey where I know as a fact that bulldozers once plowed. Either way, if they blocked of the fire trails after creation it would cause people to drive right on by. I'm willing to bet that a bulldozer did some damage to the ponds due to the fact that when they plow they go deep enough to at least take stumps out and from the p[hotos you posted of the clay layer it only appears to be about 6" under the top soil and roots. Also for your info TEE Gate has been going to this exact location since before the fire. I'm sure he remembers the trail being plowed and i wouldnt be suprised if he had pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.