10 inches of snow on the way.....

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
It's already stopped snowing here in Brick. :(

Don't worry Ben, that was just the "first" storm, which wasn't supposed to drop much of anything. It overperformed! These storms are back to back, the low is still over the deep south.

This_Is_Nascar: At this point it looks like you shouldn't have to worry about it being a heavy snow. Once the system gets wound up temperatures aloft and at the surface are going to crash allowing for snow that should end up being powder. Drifting could be a real issue.

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Snow totals from part 1:

From the National Weather Service spotter reports:

(Town/Amount/Time/Date)

...ATLANTIC COUNTY...
ESTELL MANOR 0.1 800 AM 3/1
ATLANTIC CITY AIRPORT T 100 AM 3/1

...BURLINGTON COUNTY...
MEDFORD 0.9 700 AM 3/1 2.4 SSE
SOUTHAMPTON 0.9 745 AM 3/1
BURLINGTON 0.7 700 AM 3/1 1.7 E
MOUNT LAUREL 0.7 815 AM 3/1
MOORESTOWN 0.5 700 AM 3/1 0.6 SE
MOUNT HOLLY NWS 0.5 700 AM 3/1

...CAMDEN COUNTY...
LINDENWOLD 0.5 930 AM 3/1
WINSLOW 0.4 700 AM 3/1 3.5 W

...GLOUCESTER COUNTY...
NATIONAL PARK 0.7 700 AM 3/1
GLASSBORO 0.5 705 AM 3/1
PITMAN 0.5 700 AM 3/1 0.1 W
WEST DEPTFORD 0.5 600 AM 3/1

...CUMBERLAND COUNTY...
BRIDGETON 0.4 700 AM 3/1 3.3 N

...OCEAN COUNTY...
BRICK TWP I 2.0 700 AM 3/1 2.4 N
BRICK TWP II 1.9 700 AM 3/1 1.5 NNE
POINT PLEASANT BEACH 1.9 700 AM 3/1
TOMS RIVER 1.0 535 AM 3/1 3 MILES SOUTH

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Wood stacked on back porch...............check!
Pot of soup on top the wood stove............check!
Bathtub filled with water....................check!
Candles ready and oil lamp filled...............check!
Boots and camera ready for snow walk.........check!

Why the snow blower? We don't have sidewalks......(or sewers......or electric and phone sometimes for that matter)...... so I'd love to be snowed in for a week!

C'mon old man winter.....BRING IT ON!

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
I'm in SW Virginia, with icy pavements and snow still falling (driving in through "wintery mix" last night was an adventure); at home in upstate SC they already have icing, mushy snow, and no electricity. Like you, turtle, the wood is stacked, the oil lamps lit. This is no small storm.

Please, won't someone get out to Wharton and take some photos????
--G

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm in SW Virginia, with icy pavements and snow still falling (driving in through "wintery mix" last night was an adventure); at home in upstate SC they already have icing, mushy snow, and no electricity. Like you, turtle, the wood is stacked, the oil lamps lit. This is no small storm.

Please, won't someone get out to Wharton and take some photos????
--G

There really is no snow as of yet. That will come later tonight.

Guy

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
Some late models from this afternoon have the storm a little farther west... this isnt a great solution for those in the Pines as that introduces a possibility of mixed precip, and a "dryslot" as a "commahead" of precip forms off to the NW of a developing low.

Models aren't always right though, and theres still time. Any chances of a dryslot and mixing would be to the east... The area "should" still end up with a decent amount of snow though, even with a dryslot/mixing. I just liked our chances even a few hours ago, vs what the models are outputting now. (Heaviest would be towards Philly and up the Delaware river)

We'll see

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
Grendel:

Where abouts are you in Stafford? I am currently working on two archaeological investigations in Stafford County: a Phase I at Leeland Station and a Phase II at Brooke Station. There is some fascinating history down there!

Best regards,
Jerseyman

I'm in Aquia Harbor, about five miles from Brooke station. Very interesting area. I had heard that Brooke was being expanded, and that there was a civil war camp in the area. What have you found?

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Some late models from this afternoon have the storm a little farther west... this isnt a great solution for those in the Pines as that introduces a possibility of mixed precip, and a "dryslot" as a "commahead" of precip forms off to the NW of a developing low.

Models aren't always right though, and theres still time. Any chances of a dryslot and mixing would be to the east... The area "should" still end up with a decent amount of snow though, even with a dryslot/mixing. I just liked our chances even a few hours ago, vs what the models are outputting now. (Heaviest would be towards Philly and up the Delaware river)

We'll see

Mike, I hope this model is wrong because I'm currently working in Bala Cynwyd and the Surekill Expwy can be a mess on a dry day. Plus I want a lot of snow down your way so Chuck can post pics of Wharton in 12+ inches of snow!

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Looks like they have downgraded the forecast in my area. Now calling for a total of 4 to 10 inches instead of 8 to 14 inches. I will still probably take the day off though :dance:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
It's snowing moderately here, but no "storm of the century". I see about 3" on the ground so far. Wind is really whipping around though.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Finally...

I thought this whole mess was a bust till it started hitting pretty hard.
I was bummed 'cause I've got a toy like no other.
Now it's on. BooooMFing'Yahhh.
I just put the chains on my 1966 (yes 1966) Jacobsen with a hostile Kohler engine and a 40 inch blade. A real heavy steel blade, not the pansy ass stuff you see in H-Depot. The tractor... No chains, no good... with chains... Gorilla!
I am in paradise. A few adjustments, a little alcohol for me, and I am a plowing fiend. I have the driveway done nicely and I'll get up in the eve' and do it again. Nothing like hitting a little snow at two in the morn'.
School already called the kids off yet I have to be in work early so I will just have to (Oh deary me) plow a little more in the morn if needed.
Oh Joy!

g.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Just started up here in the NW. Forecasts are calling for a total of 5-9", which would make it a respectable early March event, but not epic. This year, given that we started the run with a major ice storm way back in October, I'll happily settle for respectable. Unfortunately I work at home, so unless Comcast goes out (unlikely with buried service around here) I won't be hitting the woods tomorrow. You guys enjoy it!

Mike, I hope this model is wrong because I'm currently working in Bala Cynwyd and the Surekill Expwy can be a mess on a dry day. Plus I want a lot of snow down your way so Chuck can post pics of Wharton in 12+ inches of snow!

Hey Tom I just got done making stilts for him, now I have to teach him to walk on them. poor dog I took him out a little while ago when there was about 3 inches (now his underside stands off the ground about 2 1/2 ")