2017-18 Winter weather

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Started snowing here about 6:05 as I was leaving the house.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Same to you Bobby.

Dude, I do get it. Although close friends and family call me Bobby, you are using that name in a childish attempt to belittle me, and you need to stop. My name is Robert Moyer, and I live in Bamber, in Ocean County. Most people call me Bob. I have no issue revealing who I am and what I'm about.

You on the other hand are still living in the past, hiding behind a screen name (actually, just a number). Barely anyone knows you. In about 10 years posting on this site, you have posted no photos of yourself, nor revealed your real name, or local address, or any Pine Barren activities you do. Nothing. I get that too. You hide behind a screen name because it kind of gives you license to criticize others without anyone actually calling you out on it.

But I still will. Your recent remark that all the mummer paraders are weak and feeble is an example. You even added a little emoji face :rolleyes: to show your disbelief that they would not march in frigid temperatures. So I told you it was kind of lame to do that. If that upsets you just deal with it, just as you expect others to deal with your smirks and criticisms. Don't resort to trying to cut me down. It's very unseemly and makes you look small and petty.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Okay. Lets end it at this post. No need for anyone to post unless it relates to weather.

Reactions: Boyd

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Dude, I do get it. Although close friends and family call my Bobby, you are using that name in a childish attempt to belittle me, and you need to stop. My name is Robert Moyer, and I live in Bamber, in Ocean County. Most people call me Bob. I have no issue revealing who I am and what I'm about.

You on the other hand are still living in the past, hiding behind a screen name (actually, just a number). Barely anyone knows you. In about 10 years posting on this site, you have posted no photos of yourself, nor revealed your real name, or local address, or any Pine Barren activities you do. Nothing. I get that too. You hide behind a screen name because it kind of gives you license to criticize others without anyone actually calling you out on it.

But I still will. Your recent remark that all the mummer paraders are weak and feeble is an example. You even added a little emoji face :rolleyes: to show your disbelief that they would not march in frigid temperatures. So I told you it was kind of lame to do that. If that upsets you just deal with it, just as you expect others to deal with your smirks and criticisms. Don't resort to trying to cut me down. It's very unseemly and makes you look small and petty.

:rolleyes:

Have a great New Year bobpbx, Bobby, or Bob whichever you prefer. I can assure you I will not respond to any of your posts in the future; if I could block you I would. So sad.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Again, end it here. 46er, you can ignore him by going in your preferences and choosing "people you ignore." Type in his screename and ignore him.

Reactions: 46er

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
FWIW, there's an even easier way to "ignore" someone. Just click on their name on the left side of any post they have made. You will see a link to ignore them there.

Reactions: 46er

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The Farmers Almanac has it right so far.

2018-us-winter-weather-map.jpg

and the Old Farmers Almanac is more specific but on and off.

https://www.almanac.com/weather/longrange/region/us/2

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
My biggest fear with this weather is the extreme cold, without any real warm-up during the day.

My oil tank for my house furnace sits outside and is exposed to the elements. Only once in 15-years did I have a weather related issue, whereas it was so cold, the oil gelled or froze. That required the heating guy to come out and a few hundred dollars later, I was back up and running.

I've heard of an additive that can be mixed in the tank that lowers the gelling temperature of the heating oil.

Is anyone familiar with this?

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
I haven’t heard of fuel oil gelling (unlike Diesel fuel which does) but back in my old plumber days I’ve worked on the lines at the bottom of the tank that were frozen. Water being heavier than oil will settle to the bottom of the tank and freeze clogging the line. A hair dryer can be used to thaw, or periodically taking it apart and draining some water can help. I sometimes used a special pump with a pipe sitting on the bottom of the tanks and pumped until the water was gone.

Reactions: Boyd

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I've heard of an additive that can be mixed in the tank that lowers the gelling temperature of the heating oil.

Is anyone familiar with this?
There are a lot of additives out there. Here is one from Home Depot:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/32-oz-Fuel-Oil-Sludge-Treatment-35310/100145488

I use Power Service fuel conditioner in the winter in my diesel pickup. Even though diesel fuel is winterized at the refineries, it certainly doesn't hurt and it boosts the cetane rating.
http://powerservice.com/psp_product/diesel-fuel-supplement-cetane-boost/
And, according to their literature, it can be used in home heating oil tanks. (Heating oil is No. 2 dyed diesel)
http://powerservice.com/home-heating-oil/

I just got oil last night at home. I am on auto delivery but I wasn't scheduled for a delivery until January 2. I called and asked them to move it up because I didn't want to risk running empty in this cold snap. I stuck the tank and determined I had 74 gallons left on Friday. I have never run out but I didn't want to chance it.

One of these days I will bite the bullet and convert the heating to natural gas which I already have in the house. I really don't want to give up oil because it truly burns hotter than gas. The big difference would be that the gas heaters are far more efficient in their use of the fuel.

They ran gas to us a few years back after 30 years of questionnaires trying to determine if it was worth it for SJ Gas to bring it down here. So far I have a gas range and a gas dryer. At least I am not the dumbest person in the neighborhood. I see a propane delivery truck every so often filling home tanks. I'll take the second dumbest title !

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
When we had our place in upstate NY the winter fuel oil had an additive to prevent the wax in the oil from turning to crystals and blocking the fuel line. #2 fuel oil is basically diesel fuel, which has the additives at the pump. But this stuff has to be added before the fuel begins to gel. Our tank was in our heated basement and didn't need it, but our neighbors tank was outside and it got really cold up there at times. Probably could use the diesel additives you find at Autozone, but call your oil supplier first, they may already add it.

Forecast is for even colder weather next weekend.

Some info;

https://www.wikihow.com/Prevent-Fuel-Oil-for-an-Oil-Furnace-from-Freezing

Last edited:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My tank is a 275 gal. horizontal in a crawl space and I have never had an issue with gelling or icing and my filter is in the house at the base of the heater. I do worry about the fuel line pathway though which comes out of the crawl, runs underground 12" deep for about twenty feet and comes back into the slab portion of the house with our AC lines which is almost at ground surface.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
My tank is a 275 gal. horizontal in a crawl space and I have never had an issue with gelling or icing and my filter is in the house at the base of the heater. I do worry about the fuel line pathway though which comes out of the crawl, runs underground 12" deep for about twenty feet and comes back into the slab portion of the house with our AC lines which is almost at ground surface.

We had problems with our septic outline freezing up :worms: even though it was buried about 20" at the shallowest section. Added some 2" foam insulation boards over that section which fixed it. :dance: Wife never cared for the 5 gallon pail routine when it was frozen up.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Thanks for all the responses. I think I'll call the oil company and see what they say and suggest.

I half thought about purchasing an electronic blanket and covering the tank with it, but I'm thinking at single-digits and being outside, that it really won't make a difference.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I half thought about purchasing an electronic blanket and covering the tank with it, but I'm thinking at single-digits and being outside, that it really won't make a difference.

They make heating pads that get glued to the outside bottom of the tank, heat rises, never used one though. The cold effects start at 32f clouding the fuel, and the gel starts at around 15F. If the pad can generate enough heat to overcome that it might work.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
We had that really cold winter in 2013-2014 (IIRC) that set all kinds of records. This is bad, but that was much worse. The pipe from my well froze where it entered the crawlspace and I had no water, only time that's ever happened (hopefully fixed by sealing off a foundation vent that let the cold in).

Anyway, if you didn't have any problems back then, you will probably be fine now. There were quite a few sub-zero days back then.