Abandoned racetracks.

relayer

Explorer
I hope I'll be forgiven, but I couldn't resist posting this picture of a very large abandoned race track. True, it probably not the sort folks had in mind and the picture shows it chock full of spectators and noisy race cars hurtling over a wooden surface, but I thought some might like it anyway:) Amatol Speedway.
Amatol - Amatol Speedway.jpg

relayer

Explorer
Thanks! It is a post card. But the image is downloaded from ebay and I don't have the reverse. Generally though, this period, there usually isn't additional information on the back when the caption/id is on the front.

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
Thanx for posting this, Relayer. I've walked around the Amatol circuit many times and thought it was pretty long for a wooden track, but this post card shows just how big it really was.

John-

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
After reading these recent posts I've gotta go back to all the listed earlier ones.
I've been an auto racing official since the early 50's, was a steward at all U.S. GP's from '70 to '91, was Chief Steward for CanAm II (5 litres), and for 17 years Chief Steward for Formula Atlantic. Been an official at over a 100 tracks in the U.S. and foreign. Back in '58 South Jersey Region SCCA (mainly Jimmy & Benny Diaz) talked Charlie & Billy Nocco into using their Vineland oval/dragstrip and return road as a road course, which they did. I was the 1st Regional Executive (president) of the SJR Region when it split from Philadelphia. Spectated at races at Alcyon, walked the woods at Amatol long after the track was gone. Have a book, "The History of America's Speedways" by Allan E. Brown published in 1994 that has a wealth of information and some pictures of Jersey tracks. Currently in my 7th year as a member of the Race Planning Committee for SCCA events at the beautiful New Jersey Motorsports Park, and work those events as a steward.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I wonder how many buildings were built from the recycled lumber from the track? I can't image what the board feet could be from all of the lumber pictured.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Bringing an old thread back to life...I had a new student and as I was finding his address on aerials I noticed this.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.82398555034193&lng=-74.79671794574739&z=17&type=hybrid&gpx=

I checked historical aerials. It was not there in 1956 but appears in 1963.

It shows on the topo as well.

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.82396495055769&lng=-74.79616004627229&z=17&type=topo&gpx=

It appears to be private property. Anybody know what race track this was?

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect it was just a private horse track for the owner.

This oval track is located just over the line in Shamong Township and sits on land belonging to the Branco family since at least the 1960s. Based on a quick review of Historic Aerials, the track was established sometime between 1956 and 1963. It was still in use in 1970, but the trees were closing in on it by 1995.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
My buddies house in Nesco was built out Amatol track wood.

Best of Mornings Auto,
A tid bit. The old Ramble Inn Tavern at the corner of Niel and Gatto Roads in Nesco was constructed with a large amount of track timber from Amatol for flooring. That had a lot to do with how well she went up in flames back in '77 when a torch being used for plumbing was mishandled.
But then that's a whole 'nother thread.

g

Backwoods_Doe

Feb 7, 2015
NJ Pine Barrens
I was recently told about 2 racetracks in South Jersey that have been abandoned for quite some time. I am a motorhead and actually worked down at Atco Raceway for 6 years, but I have never heard of these two tracks. One was in Mt Holly or near Mt Holly and was used in the 1950's the other was an oval track located in Atco. I feel stupid not knowing about another racetrack in Atco. Does anyone have any info on these tracks?

It might be the abandoned raceway in a WMA in Hammonton. It's the old Amatol Speedway.The only thing left of the speedway is the oval layout of the racetrack. You can see the oval on aerial or satellite photos of the Hammonton area and on some old maps.

Great find, Willy!

I remember my father recounting a visit to the track as a wee lad with his father. He said the noise from the super-elevated wooden track was positively deafening. He also noted the many nail heads projecting above the boards used to construct the track. The nails would work loose from the weight of the cars moving at top speed. He wondered why the cars did not suffer frequent tire blowouts from the nail heads, but apparently it was not a major issue.

Best regards,
Jerseyman