Advice on waterproof boots?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Love the Peet Bob. I use it here and take it with me when I go out of state hunting.

Also use a Peet drier for hiking and ski boots, but not the gooseneck. Depending on how wet, it dries within 4 hours, totally inundated is an all night affair, but it makes no noise, completely silent. Unfortunately they are all made in China, but I've not had any problems with this one. A hair dryer with some PVC pipe and a Y adapter will also work if the budget is tight.

http://www.peetshoedryer.com/product_go.html

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Also use a Peet drier for hiking and ski boots, but not the gooseneck. Depending on how wet, it dries within 4 hours, totally inundated is an all night affair, but it makes no noise, completely silent. Unfortunately they are all made in China, but I've not had any problems with this one. A hair dryer with some PVC pipe and a Y adapter will also work if the budget is tight.

http://www.peetshoedryer.com/product_go.html
46er, does the original Peet dryer (PEET Dryer - Original 2-Shoe Electric Dryer) work for an 18" LaCrosse boot? Unless the "cylinders" extend it looks like the post the boot sits on would be too long.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I use the one I have for hiking and ski boots. There is no post on the drier I use, see the link. I let waders air dry, do not have Lacrosse boots, but I do not see why it would not work for those boots. Probably best to ask Peet, they offer a lot of driers.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I use the one I have for hiking and ski boots. There is no post on the drier I use, see the link. I let waders air dry, do not have Lacrosse boots, but I do not see why it would not work for those boots. Probably best to ask Peet, they offer a lot of driers.
Got it, thanks.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I have one set of 12" extensions on mine. The Lacrosse 18" fits with a few inches of space at the bottom. The extensions are stackable and Peet says they will work for waders. I haven't tried that. They may work for hip boots with two extensions but not chest waders.
http://www.peetshoedryer.com/product_extensions.html
Before yesterday I had never heard of boot dryers now I have 30 different choices. Thanks Rednek.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have been borrowing these Drakes from my son since my beloved 20 year old Cabelas Brushbusters (made in USA by La Crosse) took their last wade.
They come almost to the neck and weigh a ton +10 lbs. They don't leak but to dry them from clamminess I hang them on tree branch by the suspenders.
I don't think Peet makes anything that will hold these up.
http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-DRW8...campaign=PLA&gclid=COzqvMq9oMoCFc6RHwod220G1w

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have been borrowing these Drakes from my son since my beloved 20 year old Cabelas Brushbusters (made in USA by La Crosse) took their last wade.
They come almost to the neck and weigh a ton +10 lbs. They don't leak but to dry them from clamminess I hang them on tree branch by the suspenders.
I don't think Peet makes anything that will hold these up.
http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-DRW8...campaign=PLA&gclid=COzqvMq9oMoCFc6RHwod220G1w

Got some plastic pipe for the length/diameter you need, drill some holes in it, smaller at the bottom, and slip it over the end of your dryer. May take longer, but will work.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Got some plastic pipe for the length/diameter you need, drill some holes in it, smaller at the bottom, and slip it over the end of your dryer. May take longer, but will work.
These waders are ridiculously heavy. Literally about 15lbs. If they got out of plumb they would snap the pipes off. Hanging them vertically works well enough.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
You might find that your Mucks and Lacrosse will feel very similar. It's difficult to compare rubber boots to a comfortable pair of hiking boots. Walking a long distance in rubber boots takes a little getting used but walking a long distance with wet feet, I think, is even harder.
Not that this has anything to do with anything, but I'm excited for my birthday present pair of Bean boots to show up.
Ben, LaCrosse boots came in and I feel like I am walking in a pair of kid's galoshes, similar to Muck boots. Are you by any chance waiting for the 16" Mens Maine Hunting Shoes (the ones that lace up and have duck boot bottoms)? Since they "lace-up" they look like you could walk in them without "gallumphing" around the woods. It's a long wait but they seem like they'd be worth it.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Bean makes big boots. :eek:

bbee942326709bcf60a54f4334abe50f.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Now if only they would make small boots to fit Jessica.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Since I was volunteer firefighter for over 10 years I got used to walking in rubber boots. Even driving in those clunky boots doesn't feel wrong. with that said I have several pair of boots that I use in the woods. I prefer my White's Skoke Jumpers over any others. Unfortunately they are about as waterproof as a pair of sneakers. They do make Pacs that are similar to the LL Beans with the lace uppers but are very pricey. I also use a "waterproof" pair of Red Wings work boots. While using them in snow my feet were always dry but I would have my doubts if I were hiking through a cedar swamp.
Basically there is no perfect boot for every situation. Distance, temperature, the amount of water, how rough the terrain is and personal preferences all play a factor. Keeping your feet happy should be a priority on any hike.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
....They do make Pacs that are similar to the LL Beans with the lace uppers but are very pricey. I also use a "waterproof" pair of Red Wings work boots. While using them in snow my feet were always dry but I would have my doubts if I were hiking through a cedar swamp.
Basically there is no perfect boot for every situation. Distance, temperature, the amount of water, how rough the terrain is and personal preferences all play a factor. Keeping your feet happy should be a priority on any hike.

Agreed John. There is no perfect boot for the woods.

However, if you plan on going cross country through all types of terrain in one day, then the boot chosen has to be the boot needed to get through the worst anticipated condition. That's why I wear the Lacrosse 18", as do most other people I hunt or hike with, including my dainty little wife. With a little dexterity and a few blow-downs across a stream, there isn't much you can't negotiate in 18" boots.
For me, with the proper sock and insert they are very comfortable and I can and do wear them all day.

The Maine Hunting Shoe by Bean is reaching a ridiculous and unwarranted peak of popularity right now with Hipsters. Most of those boots will only see a little slush on the sidewalk in their lifetime. Someone gave me an unused pair last year and I gave them away immediately without ever wearing them. They are far too limited in their applications, in my opinion. If I were to wear a Maine Hunting Shoe it would be for bird hunting in wet grass and that's it. Having to rely on leather uppers that require waterproofing treatments and a sewn leather to rubber seam is not something I want to rely upon or own.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

That's why I wear the Lacrosse 18", as do most other people I hunt or hike with, including my dainty little wife. With a little dexterity and a few blow-downs across a stream, there isn't much you can't negotiate in 18" boots.
For me, with the proper sock and insert they are very comfortable and I can and do wear them all day.

Nailed it!

Reactions: RednekF350

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford

However, if you plan on going cross country through all types of terrain in one day, then the boot chosen has to be the boot needed to get through the worst anticipated condition. That's why I wear the Lacrosse 18", as do most other people I hunt or hike with, including my dainty little wife. With a little dexterity and a few blow-downs across a stream, there isn't much you can't negotiate in 18" boots.

The Maine Hunting Shoe by Bean is reaching a ridiculous and unwarranted peak of popularity right now with Hipsters. Most of those boots will only see a little slush on the sidewalk in their lifetime. Someone gave me an unused pair last year and I gave them away immediately without ever wearing them. They are far too limited in their applications, in my opinion. If I were to wear a Maine Hunting Shoe it would be for bird hunting in wet grass and that's it. Having to rely on leather uppers that require waterproofing treatments and a sewn leather to rubber seam is not something I want to rely upon or own.
I have to defer to those with experience. Ordered the Spenco Polysorb inserts for the LaCrosse boots, maybe they will "tighten them up".

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I have to defer to those with experience. Ordered the Spenco Polysorb inserts for the LaCrosse boots, maybe they will "tighten them up".

Are you certain you are sized right? None of my pine barren brothers have ever said they feel like kid's galoshes and liken them to "Galumphing around". There is just too much experience among all of us to accept that. I have been wearing 18" lacrosse for over 20 years. 6-7 miles is easy in them.