Advice on waterproof boots?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They don't have 18 inch knee boots or fully rubber knee boots in kids sizes. Jessica has very small feet and can't buy woman's sizes. The water is just as deep for her as it is us and she floods. She has a neoprene pair but they are not full rubber and I am constantly patching them with glue.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
They don't have 18 inch knee boots or fully rubber knee boots in kids sizes. Jessica has very small feet and can't buy woman's sizes. The water is just as deep for her as it is us and she floods. She has a neoprene pair but they are not full rubber and I am constantly patching them with glue.

Redhead makes rubber hip boots down to a size 3, and Pro Line makes 16" rubber youth boots down to size 3. I doubt you will find kids boots 18" tall as they would probably come up to a kids hip ;)

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Are you certain you are sized right? None of my pine barren brothers have ever said they feel like kid's galoshes and liken them to "Galumphing around". There is just too much experience among all of us to accept that. I have been wearing 18" lacrosse for over 20 years. 6-7 miles is easy in them.
I ordered a size down from my normal size and I wear heavy wool socks. Maybe I just have skinny legs, or maybe it's because I run and I am used to Merrell hiking boots which are like running sneaks for the woods. I ordered the Grange instead of the Burly. If this doesn't work maybe I'll go two sizes down. Everyone seems positive this is the way to go so I've got to get the LaCrosse working for me.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I ordered a size down from my normal size and I wear heavy wool socks. Maybe I just have skinny legs, or maybe it's because I run and I am used to Merrell hiking boots which are like running sneaks for the woods. I ordered the Grange instead of the Burly. If this doesn't work maybe I'll go two sizes down. Everyone seems positive this is the way to go so I've got to get the LaCrosse working for me.

Don't get hung up on a particular brand, there are several 18" rubber boots on the market. Get what fits you best. Have you tried changeable foot beds? I had fit problems with ski boots until I found a brand that fit me properly; a pair of foot beds just made them better.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Don't get hung up on a particular brand, there are several 18" rubber boots on the market. Get what fits you best. Have you tried changeable foot beds? I had fit problems with ski boots until I found a brand that fit me properly; a pair of foot beds just made them better.
46er, I had Mucks a size small (too big), tried LaCrosse Burly a size small (big and awkward), now I'm trying LaCrosse Grange (tighter in foot?) with Spenco Inserts and heavy wool socks. The theme seems to be find rubber boots that work and stay away from lace-up leather. I'll keep trying until I find the right combination. I really appreciate all the good advice.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Ben, LaCrosse boots came in and I feel like I am walking in a pair of kid's galoshes, similar to Muck boots. Are you by any chance waiting for the 16" Mens Maine Hunting Shoes (the ones that lace up and have duck boot bottoms)? Since they "lace-up" they look like you could walk in them without "gallumphing" around the woods. It's a long wait but they seem like they'd be worth it.

I'm waiting for these:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/33549?feat=629-GN1&page=men-s-l-l-bean-boots-8-thinsulate

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I'm hoping these last me a long, long time.
I have a calf-high pair of Bean's duck boots purchased in college ('79?) that still are in good shape. These are only used in snow, which may account for the remarkable longevity. I wonder if the wool-felt inserts are still available? Good maintenance pays off:

I depend upon White's shoe oils and greases to do the job.

S-M

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Yeah, Bean's warranty is supposed to be second to none. I'm hoping these last me a long, long time.

It is, I've used it several times with no issues and some stuff was in pretty bad shape. Some of their stuff has gone downhill over the years, place of manufacture issues I think, but they stick by the warranty. I doubt you will have a problem with the boots though. You do have to make up the difference between the price you paid and the current price. If you ever get near Freeport ME you have to stop in their place. We were fortunate to be there when they had the locked Moose mount on display.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Redhead makes rubber hip boots down to a size 3, and Pro Line makes 16" rubber youth boots down to size 3. I doubt you will find kids boots 18" tall as they would probably come up to a kids hip ;)

As I expected I don't see them. I am looking for fully 100 percent rubber without neoprene for woman or maybe youth. They all have what they call waterproof boots but briers tear right through them.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
As I expected I don't see them. I am looking for fully 100 percent rubber without neoprene for woman or maybe youth. They all have what they call waterproof boots but briers tear right through them.

Pro Line, page 7 in the catalog, 3rd down.
http://www.prolineboots.com/Products/2015-Catalog-ProLine-Winchester.pdf

Bass Pro has them. Remember they are called youth or boys boots, not 18" high.
http://www.basspro.com/Pro-Line-Rubber-TSeries-Boots-for-Youth/product/66191/

The Red Heads have neoprene uppers.

You might try a commercial fishermans supply shop.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I appreciate your info. They are not hiking boots and would slide off as she walked. She wants to find one like the LaCross that is snug around the foot which keeps them on in mud and brush.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Yeah, Bean's warranty is supposed to be second to none. I'm hoping these last me a long, long time.
Have you tried on any Maine Hunting Shoes (MHS)Ben ? Another reason I gave away the ones that were given to me is that they had almost no arch support and felt hard and flat.
I don't want to be a di#k (can't help it) but there are some pretty negative reviews on the MHS for that same reason some of the hunting journals too.

Upland Journal Forum: "If you're walking on level ground in non slippery conditions and don't need any arch support, they'll probably be perfect for you."
In response to the above: "There's a ringing endorsement. Sounds like they'd be good for loafing around the cabin after the hunt."

24 Hour Campfire website forum :As much as I like the nostalgia of these.....On dry leaves they are quite slippery, your feet will sweat where the rubber part is, they are not for cold weather, the tread is not deep enough for good traction, ankle support is just not there (I need that), your feet will feel rough or rocky terrain. The good.... they are light, are pretty good in the rain if you water proof the uppers, you can feel the ground underneath your foot when stalking. I see these as a spring turkey or fall "walk in the woods" type boot or maybe fall bird hunting like walking the fields for pheasants if you don't need the ankle support for steep terrain. Too many other better choices these days. As I like traditional stuff I really wanted to like them but they weren't for me when the hunting gets serious or for cold weather. Ended up wearing mine around the yard and on rainy days.

I'll go away now.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
More like it but only 9 inches tall.

Thanks for the link. I never saw those before.

Yep, I doubt you will find the height you want in a small size. Ever try that spray on rubber sealer stuff advertised on TV over the neoprene boots she has?