Advice on waterproof boots?

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I wore a pair of Merrell MOAB's today while exploring the bogs above Friendship and below Carranza Rd. I love the Merrell's for hiking but the road's were ankle deep with icy water and I was soaked through in 2 minutes flat.
I also have a pair of Muck boot's, which I've worn exactly once because they are terrible to walk any distance in. Can anyone recommend a pair of calf to knee high boots for puddles, bogs, and swampy terrain, that also work as hiking boots?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My son and I wear the 800 gram insulated Lacrosse Burly Classic shown in post #3 above year round. I have tried the Grange model and didn't like the tighter fit across the top of the foot.
I don't find the Burly oppressively hot in warm weather. We wear them when we hunt, fish, trap, run our dogs and clam. I wear them without socks in the summer when clamming.

They are very comfortable and you can walk for miles in them. I get about a year or two out of them. My son rarely gets a year out of them because he is too hard on them. LaCrosse replaced his last pair under warranty.
You can't beat that.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
If you have it in your heart to spend another $20 +/- and you are near Atco, please give Atco Sports a call:
(856) 767-9446 and see if they have any in your size. This time of year is tough since they sell a lot right before 6 day deer season in December.

I firmly believe in supporting Mom and Pops whenever possible and in this case, Mom and Pop have both passed on. The son is keeping the store going and I am sure he would appreciate the business.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, if you want the boots right away and want to try them on go to Atco Sports. Redneck and one other person I know purchase from there.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
If you have it in your heart to spend another $20 +/- and you are near Atco, please give Atco Sports a call:
(856) 767-9446 and see if they have any in your size. This time of year is tough since they sell a lot right before 6 day deer season in December.

I firmly believe in supporting Mom and Pops whenever possible and in this case, Mom and Pop have both passed on. The son is keeping the store going and I am sure he would appreciate the business.
Already ordered Rednek (got the Burly's). I have an Amazon Prime account that I use for everything (pretty far away I guess from Mom and Pop). Unfortunately I rarely get out by Atco since I spend my days working out of my house doing graphic design. Mom and Pop sadly have a tough time competing with Jeff Bezos.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
You might find that your Mucks and Lacrosse will feel very similar. It's difficult to compare rubber boots to a comfortable pair of hiking boots. Walking a long distance in rubber boots takes a little getting used but walking a long distance with wet feet, I think, is even harder.

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Can't beat lacrosse or Irish setters. Your mucks are probably fine just got to break them in. Big rubber boots are harder than hikers to break in. I have a pair of cableas 800 gram boots and like them. I am hell on boots like Scott and his son. Whatever you do not store them folded. Made that mistake once with my last lacrosse set. Cracked right in that fold. I still have em as a back up pair. Duck tape cures all.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Overshoes are an alternative. I really like NEOS Trekkers. These 500-denier tough nylon-upper shoes are 100% waterproof, and super lightweight. Even though my boats are sized to fit over 11.5 boots, they easily fold away into a small dedicated packing kit that still fits in carry-on luggage. I refuse to check luggage unless absolutely necessary. They are great for snow and muskeg; washable too!

Additionally, regular hiking and work boots are worn within, which is a key concern to me. About fifteen years ago, I broke my foot while doing tree work, which for two months was misdiagnosed as gout. The injury became permanent, requiring surgery and a pin. That’s why you always see me in White's loggers’ boots and on occasion I limp. This disability forced me to shift from landscape work to consulting and academics.

S-M

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
......Cracked right in that fold. I still have em as a back up pair. Duck tape cures all.
I too always keep my previous pair when I get a new pair. I take them to work and use them on jobs where we might be working in high, wet grass and not actual water. Usually, the failure point is a flex crack near the instep.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Can't beat lacrosse or Irish setters. Your mucks are probably fine just got to break them in. Big rubber boots are harder than hikers to break in. I have a pair of cableas 800 gram boots and like them. I am hell on boots like Scott and his son. Whatever you do not store them folded. Made that mistake once with my last lacrosse set. Cracked right in that fold. I still have em as a back up pair. Duck tape cures all.

You are absolutely correct ...... it is imperative to not bend them when not in use.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I use one of these for my waders/rubber boots. Let them dry out and stuff with newspaper. About $10 or you can make your own from a wire hanger.

0011080_400.jpg

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Another thing I do with the Lacrosse boots is toss the bogus felt insole that comes with them and put in Spenco Polysorb inserts. More arch support and good cushioning.