Advice on waterproof boots?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Have you tried on any Maine Hunting Shoes (MHS)Ben ? Another reason I gave away the ones that were given to me is that they had almost no arch support and felt hard and flat.
I don't want to be a di#k (can't help it) but there are some pretty negative reviews on the MHS for that same reason some of the hunting journals too.

Upland Journal Forum: "If you're walking on level ground in non slippery conditions and don't need any arch support, they'll probably be perfect for you."
In response to the above: "There's a ringing endorsement. Sounds like they'd be good for loafing around the cabin after the hunt."

24 Hour Campfire website forum :As much as I like the nostalgia of these.....On dry leaves they are quite slippery, your feet will sweat where the rubber part is, they are not for cold weather, the tread is not deep enough for good traction, ankle support is just not there (I need that), your feet will feel rough or rocky terrain. The good.... they are light, are pretty good in the rain if you water proof the uppers, you can feel the ground underneath your foot when stalking. I see these as a spring turkey or fall "walk in the woods" type boot or maybe fall bird hunting like walking the fields for pheasants if you don't need the ankle support for steep terrain. Too many other better choices these days. As I like traditional stuff I really wanted to like them but they weren't for me when the hunting gets serious or for cold weather. Ended up wearing mine around the yard and on rainy days.

I'll go away now.

Well I think the MHS is a different animal than the Bean boot. The Bean boot has a metal shank for arch support whereas the MHS does not. Otherwise they're pretty similar.

Now the "not for cold weather" bit bothers me, since my main goal was to have these to wear when there was deep snow on the ground.

Don't be so hard on yourself, Ben always likes the straight skinny. But, for what Ben is using them for, he should be fine. I use the same ones I've had 25 years for shoveling snow around the house and quick drives during snow season.

If only I could do the straight skinny. I can do a slim straight, or a slim taper, but no skinny. I have to work on that.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
The LL Bean boots are a very slightly modified the Maine Hunting Shoe Ben. The original name when they were developed by LL himself was the Maine Hunting Shoe. The Bean boot has a harder rubber compound than the original.
From the Upland Journal:
The difference is in the type of rubber they use.
When they changed the name from "Maine Hunting Shoe" to "Bean Boot", they were catering to non-hunters who back during the eighties, found these boots fashionable for urban wear.
Trouble was, the soles wore out too quickly on asphalt pavement
so they needed to use a tougher rubber. Many outdoorsmen (myself included) didn't like the new version as they made it more difficult to feel what you were walking on and it was harder to walk quietly in the woods with them.
So they returned to the old style Maine Hunting Shoe for hunters
but still make the Bean Boot for scuffing around on concrete and asphalt.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I have often wanted to get a pair of Whites Pacs. There is no better boot made. The price reflects it too. I have owned a pair of smoke jumpers from the mid 90's and wore them to work for many of those years. There is no boot that has more arch support. I've had people describe it to having a broom handle under your arch. At the store I got them at in Boise Idaho, they told me they sometimes were covered by insurance with a prescription from a doctor for back support.
Each pair is made to order I assume the Pacs are a little less custom and probably to warm for most seasons here which is why I haven't pulled the trigger on them.
Take a second to watch their "How to size". They are truly a custom boot sadly there is no store near here that carries them but they are getting closer.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I recently had a pair of boots made by the Truman Boot Company up in the Poconos. They do extremely small runs of boots and are incredibly customizable. They're also very expensive and take forever to get to you, but the results are worth it, IMHO.

They're done with stitchdown construction which will let me resole the boots whenever I need to. My pair is made from leather from the Seidel tannery. Hopefully they'll last longer than I do, so long as I keep on top of the maintenance.

2015-12-04 23.18.50-2.jpg

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I recently had a pair of boots made by the Truman Boot Company up in the Poconos. They do extremely small runs of boots and are incredibly customizable. They're also very expensive and take forever to get to you, but the results are worth it, IMHO.

They're done with stitchdown construction which will let me resole the boots whenever I need to. My pair is made from leather from the Seidel tannery. Hopefully they'll last longer than I do, so long as I keep on top of the maintenance.

View attachment 6954
I have a pair of red wings in the same style. I love them. I wear them for work since a lot since they are nice looking. Their only fault is the soles are smooth and even in a light dusting of snow I might as well have skates on. I learned this the hard way. I nearly broke my neck several times in a two block walk in Manhattan:)

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I know there's rubber taps that a cobbler can put on for you. I'd love a leather soled boot (just because I think they look awesome) but I'd be too afraid to get it too wet.
Oh they are leather soles. Mine have rubber soles but are smooth with no tread. They are ok in the rain but horrible in any type of frozen precipitation no matter how little there is.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Chippewa is what I wear every day for work and everything else in between. Excellent cushioning and arch support, warm and waterproof beyond my expectations. Soles wear like iron.
I keep two pairs on hand now. One for work and the other for Sunday goin' to meetin'. I got almost 4 years of nearly daily use out of my first pair. I am on my fourth pair now.
As a bonus, they are USA made. I am liking the information on the Trumans and the Whites for that reason and it is good to see Bean stay with their American workers for their production. I used to wear a model in the Red Wing's US made line but it was discontinued.

As anyone who knows me knows, I am buy American whenever and wherever I can.

http://www.americanmadeworkboots.com/8-inch-boots/chippewa-29416/

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
There's a bunch of really good boot makers in the US. One thing that I really liked about Truman is that it's something like 5 guys and their dogs working out of a barn in PA. But the quality is top notch.

I wouldn't wear them on a hike though. I'd cry the first time briers scratched them up.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Don't get hung up on a particular brand, there are several 18" rubber boots on the market. Get what fits you best. Have you tried changeable foot beds? I had fit problems with ski boots until I found a brand that fit me properly; a pair of foot beds just made them better.
Thanks to everyone for all the advice on boots. Went out early to catch a sunrise shot and explore the Friendship Bogs off Jess Terrace Rd with my new LaCrosse Grange boots and the ice water almost reached 18" in some spots. Inserts and heavy wool socks did the trick. I felt like I could walk quite a distance in them, nearly as good as hiking boots. On another note, ducking under and climbing over a big blow down, slogging through icy water and pushing through briars and brush with my tripod and photo backpack, I have new found respect for the members of this forum. I have a machete which I did not bring, but I'm thinking I should next time.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Better yet, show us the map that says "Jess Terrace Road."

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I suspect we have another Lake Broyhill there. Or someone is giving Google false information. When using Google and you click on a road it gives you the name. When you click on Jess Terrace this is what you get.

google.jpg

And in Google Earth you will see Anus McGrober Way. So which is it Google??? Neither one for sure.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I suspect we have another Lake Broyhill there. Or someone is giving Google false information. When using Google and you click on a road it gives you the name. When you click on Jess Terrace this is what you get.

View attachment 6965

And in Google Earth you will see Anus McGrober Way. So which is it Google??? Neither one for sure.
Wow. Anus Mcgrober Way. Almost as bad as the elusive Dicktown. :)

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Many outdoorsmen (myself included) didn't like the new version as they made it more difficult to feel what you were walking on and it was harder to walk quietly in the woods with them.
So they returned to the old style Maine Hunting Shoe for hunters.

We had about 16, maybe 17 inches of snow, too much for the Subarus to handle, so I dug 700-feet of toe path from the house – past the duck pen – to our cars parked by the road.

Screen shot 2016-01-24 at 7.52.29 PM.png
It was a good excuse to grease the 16-inch Maine Hunting Shoes, relace them, and test their performance. I am usually pretty hard on boots, but these have stood up to four decades of snow use.

boots.jpg

They would have long worn-away under dry-land conditions. On the plus side Hunting Shoes are incredibly light, feeling more like a sneaker than a work boot. Today's version has a steel shank, which I think is absent in my old version. In heavy deep snow that lessened weight made a big difference in fighting fatigue. They were and are still made in Maine. Bean claims their boots are rebuildable. On the negative side they provide no arch or ankle support, although the added steel arch may have improved this issue. If you like the feel of a moccasin, then these are the snow boots for you. If you require added foot support, do heavy work in snow, or have steep terrain to traverse then White's Thinsulate-insulated Hunter is a durable, albeit heavy beast of a snow boot alternative. They are handmade in Washington State. White's are rebuildable too, which usually takes a couple months and the service isn't cheap. I have been wearing White's since high school, and found them well worth the added expense especially if you have bum foot issues to boot!