Atsion Get-Together: Sunday, August 23, 2009

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Atsion

Chris, I did notice a black truck like you said, but when I walked past it no one was near it. I walked up the grass from the church and cemetery at around 10:45 - 48. Must have just missed you. And Guy, yeah I saw the doors open and people in the mansion so I assumed it was open. Figured I'd try and get a look even if we weren't having the meet-up (so I thought). But the lady met me at the door and, kind of in a weird way, guarded me from entering. I didn't know if the meet-up time was going to be a lot later or if it was even canceled so I figured I'd leave then. I was parked facing away from the mansion with the 2005 dark green/gray GMC 1500 Sierra with a cap. Maybe we should have an identification thread so we know fellow explorers, or a sticker or something. All well, bummer. To make things even worse I had to make an "emergency pit stop" on the side of the road leading from the Wash-Batsto turnpike to quaker bridge road and squatted in a small chigger nest. Because of that, today was extra fun. lol. I did kind of take an unofficial personal tour and checked out all the neat stuff in the town like the old furnace slag by the canoe put in, the cemetery, the old cotton mill, the trestle and station site, turntable pit, and the railroad era house that has recently been cleaned up and filled in. Was a great morning for a walk around there and there was quite a lot of people out there too. I usually venture to places like Atsion and Batsto in the off season so there's no people in my photographs so I'm not used to seeing the crowds. And actually, I forgot my camera that day anyway, so I'll have to go back for a mansion tour another time (unless you can't photograph in there).

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
(unless you can't photograph in there).

Sorry we missed you. I was right in the room when I saw you come onto the porch. If I had known it was you I would have dragged you in.

No photo's allowed.

Guy

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
I'd just like to echo the sentiments of everybody else in here. Ben did a great job of setting up this gtg/tour, which I think the turnout proved to be pretty decent. It was great seeing old and new faces, and having good conversation with many of them. The tour itself was very interesting, as was said earlier, if you have a chance to go over there on a Sunday to check it out, do it! (Before Labor Day). You won't regret it; it's amazing to see everything restored to what’s believed to be original condition. I thought a nice touch was how they left those various sections unpainted so you could see just how it actually looked like before restoration. Additionally, I think that display they had setup was very interesting containing the artifacts dug out from when the new dam was built. It just looked like old nails and such; however that possible piece to the fireplace backplate was very interesting. Another thing I liked was how, since it's such a newly opened exhibit, there are several unknown "mysteries" still around. Being able to offer suggestions and insight into what things may have been adds an interactivity seldom seen on tours like this (like the Hopewell Furna(ce) find). It was a shame that photographs weren't allowed, as I would have liked to have gotten a picture of that "graffiti" from 1923. Another disappointment was that the 3rd floor was closed, due to insurance reasons. Maybe someday that will become accessible.

Afterwards, the walk down 206 to the Cotton Mill site was interesting as well. It’s always nice to check out that spot, and it’s of course a nice spot on the river as well. Afterwards we all headed to the Pic-a-lilli which also turned out very nice... I hadn't been there in a few years, but was impressed with the food. About 3/4 of the way though, after some insightful conversation with Jerseyman, he asked me to pull this box out of this freezer bag... I saw a bag of some sort sitting there through the meal, but I didn't think too much of it. I thought maybe it was old maps or something. Well, I pulled it out and here it was a cake, a nice surprise! Shortly after we all celebrated Largos birthday over a great tasting cake. Shortly after we all left, and went our separate ways. I and a few others went back to Atsion, while others went off to their own destinations. I took a few hours long hike there, further exploring around, which I ran into Pine Barron (and crew) and ChrisR again along the way. Later on I continued on down to the trestle before doubling back to the Mullica River trail a little ways. Finally I rounded out the day by stopping into see an old sign in Hammonton that’s recently been uncovered (as I was telling Jerseyman), and then ended the day by stopping in at Weymouth furnace (another former Richards property). All in all it was a great day out, and look forward to the next meet. I'll be posting some pictures to the board shortly.

Btw, Jerseyman: Thank you for the link! I'll be sending you something back shortly.

I don't think that the third floor will ever be opened up to the public, insurance rates are almost impossible to obtain if a place does not have two ways out. The only way I could see them letting people up to the third floor is if they put in a fire escape on the outside of the house, and the third floor simply isn't worth ruining the atmosphere of the place for that.

I'm with MTS, I would have loved a picture of the grafitti over the fireplace. Maybe they'll start allowing non-flash photography some day, which doesn't really hurt anything.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
When I visited the Sistine Chapel it was made clear that no flash photography could be allowed (and that was an instance where I very much agree with the policy). But as we stood gazing up in awe flashes were popping right and left.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
I'm not too sure what damage if any, flash would/could cause in the mansion. I think it's more of a thing where they don't want pics to get out on the net of the interior and possibly inviting vandals or the like.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Sorry I missed out on such a good time, guess theres always the next trip.....
As for flash photography heres the skinny. Artwork on any medium, paper objects and textiles all have what I'll call a "light life." Meaning how much commulative exposure an object can take before deterioration begins. This is because the heat and light produced by flash photography speed up the deterioration of said objects. Ultimately its a break in the paper fiber and the cellulose bonds. Once started a chain reaction follows that is near impossible to revert. Signs of deterioration are yellowing, sour smelling, faded appearance, and a brittleness are the easiest to see.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Sorry I missed out on such a good time, guess theres always the next trip.....
As for flash photography heres the skinny. Artwork on any medium, paper objects and textiles all have what I'll call a "light life." Meaning how much commulative exposure an object can take before deterioration begins. This is because the heat and light produced by flash photography speed up the deterioration of said objects. Ultimately its a break in the paper fiber and the cellulose bonds. Once started a chain reaction follows that is near impossible to revert. Signs of deterioration are yellowing, sour smelling, faded appearance, and a brittleness are the easiest to see.

See, I learned something new today! Thanks Piney Boy. Never knew that was the reason.