Atsion: Old and Renewed

omega

Explorer
originally there were 13 columns and the porch wrapped around the left side (looking at it from the front) that portion was removed in the 1960's renovation. Re removed portion of the porch can be seen in this pic from hjgaconsulting's website.

atsionnorth.jpg

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Atsion

Awesome thread. There's just something that draws me to Atsion that I can't explain. What a neat place. About this Bailey Homestead, is this the one that collapsed and is behind the fence? If it is, are there any plans of doing anything with that wood?

Kevin

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Awesome thread. There's just something that draws me to Atsion that I can't explain. What a neat place. About this Bailey Homestead, is this the one that collapsed and is behind the fence? If it is, are there any plans of doing anything with that wood?

Kevin

I know what you mean. I plan on heading down on Saturday morning (weather permitting) with the new Dslr and the dog to wander around and get some pics.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Devilstoy,

I am not sure if you know it or not, but some of your photo's show you were on private property. I don't care if you post them, but the owner of that property may.

Guy

devilstoy

Explorer
Nov 21, 2008
lindenwold
Devilstoy,

I am not sure if you know it or not, but some of your photo's show you were on private property. I don't care if you post them, but the owner of that property may.

Guy

i didnt know at the time when i took em the way i walked in i didnt see any signs or anything , but i beleive it was you that told me that when i posted a few before in a differant thread

Arey

Scout
Oct 17, 2007
Atl. Co. near the ocean
Today on the way up 206 I stopped at the park station at Atsion to ask about when the mansion would be open. I was told that they hoped to have tours once a week this summer. While they have any number of volunteers to be tour guides, they need to prepare a talk for the guides, and also take care of all the setting up of tours, making arrangements and all that bureaucratic stuff which ruins the lives of state employees who have to deal directly the the public. The person overseeing the Atsion Mansion also is responsible for the Wharton Masnsion at Batsto and the Somers Homestead (I refuse to call it a mansion, it is a homestead) in Somers Pt. The very pleasant and helpful state employee I spoke with said that she'd like to see the inside of the Atsion mansion now that it's finished, but has'nt' been in it yet. She also said that that the tour would be about the architecture, and there are no furnishings in the house.

ammodramus88

Nov 26, 2006
Central Jersey
Thanks for the update, Arey. I've been hoping to go on a house tour of Atsion now that the mansion has been restored, but wasn't sure when tours were going to be offered.

Kevinhooa

Explorer
Mar 12, 2008
Hammonton, NJ.
www.flickr.com
Mansion

Man, I would love to check that mansion out. Sometimes I'll just sit at an old site like that and just try to picture what it looked like in it's heyday. I'm just imagining a setting sun dipping across the lake as carriages line up in front of the mansion for a mid summer Satruday evening ball. So much commotion going on in what was then somewhere, but still in the middle of nowhere. Had to be really something to see when the industries there were going full tilt. I'm sure the beer they had there was amazing. Lol, sorry I'll come back to earth now.

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Mansion

Man, I would love to check that mansion out. Sometimes I'll just sit at an old site like that and just try to picture what it looked like in it's heyday. I'm just imagining a setting sun dipping across the lake as carriages line up in front of the mansion for a mid summer Satruday evening ball. So much commotion going on in what was then somewhere, but still in the middle of nowhere. Had to be really something to see when the industries there were going full tilt. I'm sure the beer they had there was amazing. Lol, sorry I'll come back to earth now.

A couple of years ago, a bunch of us from the forum got together and took a tour of the mansion. It was really neat to see. I kept looking out the windows picturing kids running around outside, the help taking care of the inside, and the grand parties that must have been back in the day.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The man sitting on the train platform in the second photo with a mustache is my Grandfather, Antonio Tassone!

I believe this is the photo you are referring to. Since it was on the first page of this thread I suspect most people were confused on what you wanted to tell us.

platform.jpg

Can you tell us more about him? Did he live in the area? How did you know he was in that photo? Did he work there or nearby? And my own personal question.... is he buried in the area?

BTW, welcome to the site.

Guy

Marlene Feather

Aug 24, 2011
My grandfather and grandmother, Antonio and Clara Tassone, immigrated from Italy and settled in Atsion, and raised a family of 8, one of which is my Mom, Anne Tassone Hauck, who now resides in Medford Lakes, NJ. They lived in a former hotel, a stone's throw from the CNJ train station pictured, and also right next to the Atco spur train tracks. My Uncle Dominic and Aunt Mary, my Mom's oldest siblings, attended the Atsion school. My grandfather worked on the railroad until he purchased land in Indian Mills, and started a blueberry farm and cranberry bogs. The blueberry farm and cranberry bogs still produce crops to this day.

My Mom also knows the names of all of the other men pictured.

My grandfather is buried in nearby in Hammonton, NJ

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They lived in a former hotel, a stone's throw from the CNJ train station pictured, and also right next to the Atco spur train tracks.

Thanks for the info. If you don't mind lets try to narrow down where this hotel was along the spur. Do you know where it was located? If so, was it between 206 and the station.... right along the spur? Was it right at the intersection of the spur on the opposite side of the tracks from the station. In the 50's when the state purchased Wharton there was a small lot right along the spur just across from the station owned by a Hugh J. Phillips.

Guy

Marlene Feather

Aug 24, 2011
My Mom says that it was between Route 206 and the station, right along the spur. She also said that Hugh J. Phillips actually owned the house she lived in, and they paid him rent of $100 a month.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My Mom says that it was between Route 206 and the station, right along the spur. She also said that Hugh J. Phillips actually owned the house she lived in, and they paid him rent of $100 a month.

Very interesting! Then I would have to assume this is where your mom lived. It is right at the intersestion of the spur, and as you say it is just a stones throw away from the station.

AtsionSpur.jpg

When the state purchased Wharton this lot was called an "Exception" so it was surveyed. Those numbers are the monuments that were placed there. I know where they are and the next time I am in the area I will look for them and photograph them.

Guy