Atsion: Old and Renewed

janwor

Apr 17, 2005
My grandfather and grandmother, Antonio and Clara Tassone, immigrated from Italy and settled in Atsion, and raised a family of 8, one of which is my Mom, Anne Tassone Hauck, who now resides in Medford Lakes, NJ. They lived in a former hotel, a stone's throw from the CNJ train station pictured, and also right next to the Atco spur train tracks. My Uncle Dominic and Aunt Mary, my Mom's oldest siblings, attended the Atsion school. My grandfather worked on the railroad until he purchased land in Indian Mills, and started a blueberry farm and cranberry bogs. The blueberry farm and cranberry bogs still produce crops to this day.

My Mom also knows the names of all of the other men pictured.

My grandfather is buried in nearby in Hammonton, NJ

Marlene,
Can you share the names of the others in the rail station photo? Also, do you know in which Hammonton
cemetery your grandfather is buried? When did your mother leave Atsion - was it for work or school? Does she have any stories that she would like to share? It would be nice to put "people" stories beside the buildings that remain.
Thanks,
Janet

Reactions: Teegate

Marlene Feather

Aug 24, 2011
Thank you for that detailed information and map. I can't wait to show it to my Mom and sister, and also to share any photos that you may take of it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is a great piece of software called Skitch. And I believe that you can actually store your photo's on their site and link to them. I have not checked into it but if that is true some of the Mac users here maybe could use it to store photo's. Not really sure.

http://skitch.com/

Guy

Marlene Feather

Aug 24, 2011
Janet,
The young one is Chester Milley, the one sitting is Charlie Harris, and the one standing is John Etheridge.
My Mom's family moved to Indian Mills around the time my Mom graduated from Mount Holly High School in 1936. At that time she moved to South Philadelphia to live with my Aunt, so that she would be near to her new job.
My grandfather is buried in Holy Sepulcher Cemetery in Hammonton.

Reactions: Hinchman's Hill

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Janet,
The young one is Chester Milley, the one sitting is Charlie Harris, and the one standing is John Etheridge.
My Mom's family moved to Indian Mills around the time my Mom graduated from Mount Holly High School in 1936. At that time she moved to South Philadelphia to live with my Aunt, so that she would be near to her new job.

Thanks Marlene!

Guy

janwor

Apr 17, 2005
Janet,

Thank you Marlene!

Janet

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Marlene,

I have not forgotten about searching for the monuments. I went today and searched for them and was not able to find them. That area has been disturbed over the years and they may have been removed. The mosquitoes were so bad there Jessica ran back to the car while I continued to search. I think they almost took off with me. Anyway, I will go back later in the year and do a much more complete search.

Guy

Marlene Feather

Aug 24, 2011
Marlene,

I have not forgotten about searching for the monuments. I went today and searched for them and was not able to find them. That area has been disturbed over the years and they may have been removed. The mosquitoes were so bad there Jessica ran back to the car while I continued to search. I think they almost took off with me. Anyway, I will go back later in the year and do a much more complete search.

Guy

Guy,

This is so very interesting, especially since my Mom was actually born in that house. I am really looking forward to hearing about the results of your future search for the monuments.

Marlene

atsion hotel.jpg
atsionlakedad.jpg
Ok, so I have this dish with a painting of the Atsion Hotel. So I really didn't know if it is the house where my father, Lewis J. Tassone was born. And I have this one of my father at the Atsion Lake, probably from the fifties.

Marlene,
Can you share the names of the others in the rail station photo? Also, do you know in which Hammonton
cemetery your grandfather is buried? When did your mother leave Atsion - was it for work or school? Does she have any stories that she would like to share? It would be nice to put "people" stories beside the buildings that remain.
Thanks,
Janet
Antonio Tassone is buried at Oak Grove across the street from the Ideal Clothing store and near the Hammonton High School on the White Horse Pike.

Sep 12, 2013
Very interesting! Then I would have to assume this is where your mom lived. It is right at the intersestion of the spur, and as you say it is just a stones throw away from the station.

AtsionSpur.jpg

When the state purchased Wharton this lot was called an "Exception" so it was surveyed. Those numbers are the monuments that were placed there. I know where they are and the next time I am in the area I will look for them and photograph them.

Guy
I am the daughter of the late Hugh J Phillips IV. He was the last Phillips owner of this property. I believe it was sold to the state in the late 50s. The family had relocated to Red Bank,NJ area & the property was being ruined by squatters & such. He would post probate property on one side of the tree. NJ would post public park sign on the other. I have cranberry tickets & scoops all over my house from Atsion.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am the daughter of the late Hugh J Phillips IV. He was the last Phillips owner of this property. I believe it was sold to the state in the late 50s. The family had relocated to Red Bank,NJ area & the property was being ruined by squatters & such. He would post probate property on one side of the tree. NJ would post public park sign on the other. I have cranberry tickets & scoops all over my house from Atsion.

Thank you for the information.

Guy

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
I am drawing a map of the village of Atsion. However, I cannot seem to find anything on the Atsion to Atco spur of the railroad. I have the point where it left the mainline and the point where it crossed Route 206 but nothing in between. Such as the width of the right-of-way, radius or degree of curve, when it was put in and when it was taken out. Also, I saw a map with the ROW of the mainline as 150 feet at the side track; however the turntable is 200 feet off the tracks? If anyone has any detailed information on the Atsion railroad layout or where to find it, that would be great. Any deeds or surveys of the area in general would be helpful also.
Thanks, Don

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have the train maps and they don't tell most of that info. The right of way was 50 feet in the area from 206 (then route 39) to where the spur and main line meet. That is the yellow arrow area in the above photo.

Reactions: Don Catts