Atsion: Old and Renewed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The maps I have are from 1930 and all references of the turntable apparently was no longer included.

Don Catts

Explorer
Aug 5, 2012
Indian Mills
Guy, I thought 50 or 60. I read where it was a one tracks ROW but did not know what a one track right-of-way was? This will get me going again, thanks Don

Don:

If you want to make a trip to Camden, the Camden County Historical Society holds the original plans for the Batsto Branch from the early 1860s. I suggest you call and make an appointment before going there as they are not keeping regular hours at present. The plans cover either two or three sheets of stiff paper.

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No offense, but I would suggest that you remove that photo. The authors of the book have rights to it I suspect. Plus, the site has been contacted on a few occasions with cease and desist orders concerning posted photos that are not your own or public domain.

No offense, but I would suggest that you remove that photo. The authors of the book have rights to it I suspect. Plus, the site has been contacted on a few occasions with cease and desist orders concerning posted photos that are not your own or public domain.

I completely concur with your assessment, Guy. Either kbright64 needs to delete the post or the administrators should act.

Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was unfortunate but I removed the photo. I don't like editing posts.

To all members, lets forget about the past and think of this in the future. Unless you have permission to use a photo, newspaper article, etc, please don't post it on this site. Also, if you have been linking to a photo on another site and having that photo show up in a post you are essentially forcing that site to deliver the photo to us each and every time someone views that post. What we should be doing is linking to that site or photo forcing the viewer here to actually click on the link and go to the site the photo is stored on. That is the proper way it should be done. And obviously you can disregard this if it is your photo storage site you are using to display the photo here.

Reactions: Ben Ruset
I am sorry to have asked you to do so, Guy, but I thank you for your action. I’m sure kbright64 only wanted to help provide more information in the thread about the branch and he likely did not consider copyright issues, but we all need to be aware of such matters. I hope all involved understand the rationale behind removing the image. I have seen long threads on Facebook that contain scanned image after scanned image of photos from books. The latest I recall seeing concerned Atsion. Again, I’m sure the poster is just trying to be helpful, but to see all of those images from copyrighted books and pamphlets certainly give me pause. Despite The Trail of the Blue Comet being out of print, it is still in copyright and will be for most of our lifetimes. The same applies to the other published material being pillaged for posting elsewhere. we all need to be careful.

Jerseyman

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When I was posting the old photos of my relatives, a woman was putting them on a private site on Facebook. I learned of this because she told me. She had no idea that when I post a photo to a site that is where I want the photo and they don't belong on Facebook. I want them on this site only because I want to support this site. She was a very nice person and honestly did not know and understand that putting them on a private site that I don't have access to is stealing my photos. She was a long time school teacher and I explained it to her like this. Lets say she has rare photos that she wanted her students to see and enjoy so she puts them on the wall for all to enjoy. But another teacher copies them and gives them to another school. They contact her and say everyone there is enjoying them but she is not allowed to come over and see how her own photos are being used.

Tracker Jim

Scout
Dec 18, 2014
Leeds Point NJ
1872 Beers Comstock & Cline map of Atlantic County - Atsion inset. This is to compliment Jerseyman's 1876 Scott atlas. Only four years seperate them, but there are some differences.
Beers, Comstock & Cline 1872 At Atsion inset.jpg

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Today, Atlantic County does not reach to where that map shows.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Hexamer Maps are the most amazingly detailed maps and extremely useful for performing ASTM Phase I site assessments. The problem is their limited mapping areas. Next to them, Sanborn mappings are very good too, with very good coverage.

As for child labor, I say bring it back. The army of sniveling losers walking around the malls today could use a good stint in a cotton mill !

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
A pity he did not work in the early 19th century, we'd might actually be able to see the layout of all our forge areas. Maryann, Dover, and Ferrago would have been especially interesting.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My map is finished. As you can see I did not get much of the railroad on it. It got to big 51" x 36". Thanks for all the help, Don

That looks really really nice! That map could be one for the history books.