Barry Zeldin Podcast

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
And the same is true with the person you spoke with saying the cops did not give a shit. A month later when everyone else forgot about this Bob and I ran into one in the woods looking around. If they didn't care, why would he be there? I am not saying you are wrong; however, the facts in some instances disagree with certain aspects of the podcast.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
And the same is true with the person you spoke with saying the cops did not give a shit. A month later when everyone else forgot about this Bob and I ran into one in the woods looking around. If they didn't care, why would he be there? I am not saying you are wrong; however, the facts in some instances disagree with certain aspects of the podcast.

Yes, I forgot about meeting that cop in the woods. He was out there because he was very puzzled why it was not solved.

Sep 16, 2019
Brigantine
I agree it would be reckless not to address it. You have not “listened” to it, you may have heard it. I specifically say it’s a 10% chance. Additionally, i’ve had nobody confirm he ever got lost, it’s not in the police report either. As a matter of fact Bill says the direct opposite during his interview. However lets say he did, that’s a pretty good lesson to learn, would you then go back into the woods w/o your phone, compass, beloved dog, car keys and the bait you were baiting your dear stand with? Leave your wallet with $140 on the center console with the windows down? Assuming you get to a maybe on that, why didn’t the dogs locate his remains? Why did none of the searches yield results? I don’t see it personally and I actually think it’s highly unlikely. You would have to assume he was lying about baiting because how does he get far enough without the bait to get lost in the first place.

Sep 16, 2019
Brigantine
Never said all of the cops didn’t care, was he in uniform? Was he off the clock? What makes you assume he was the cop with a heart of gold? What makes you assume he wasn’t working you for information? Not saying your wrong but you’re assuming you know what was in this guys heart and taking him at his word. Perhaps he was on duty and curious about your intentions so he played dumb. There are cops all throughout my extended family and believe me they lie on occasion while working, it’s a part of the job. If he was genuinely baffled, that makes two of us.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He was in full uniform and new to the case. His police car was parked at the tower when we were leaving. He was still in the woods. He had been transferred to the area and was new to the case and I believe he said he had read the reposts and he told us Barry had been lost before. You need to ask his hunting buddies about that.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Any consideration been given to Mr Zeldin just leaving to create a new life elsewhere? Leaving all those belonging's in his truck might indicate he does not want to be found. Anyone else in his circle of friends also gone? Was he on social security?

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Well... yeah, I never tried to hide that fact. :D
Anyway, I was thinking of the technical name and not letting my mind wander back to when I learned touch-typing on a manual Smith Corona office typewriter in Miss Roberts class. ;)

You may find it hard to believe but I was a little wise ass when I was a kid and I had a penchant for breaking things. I thought the carriage return was cool and I used to press it all the time on my older sister's typewriter because it made such a quick movement and loud noise. Then, I broke the typewriter. After getting punched by my sister and smacked around the house by my father, just for good measure, I finally left her typewriter alone.

It's probably why I never learned to type over the rest of my adult life. Ironically, my sister typed all of my papers in college and at work, I hand write everything and have the secretaries type it. To this day, all of my typing is done with just a few fumbly fingers.
:)

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I skipped typing class more often than not, but when I got a white collar job I had to stop hunting and pecking. I took keyboarding at
my community college. One of the best things I've ever done to eliminate a lot of aggravation in life.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I got pretty fast in high school typing class, and my parents gave me a fancy new portable Smith-Corona electric typewriter when I went away to college (the newest model, with a ribbon cartridge that plugged into the side). Home on break, I mentioned that a lot of guys paid somebody else to type their papers, and that it was actually pretty cheap. Boy, did I ever get reamed out by my father for that remark..., "I didn't spend all that money on a typewriter for you to pay somebody else - you'll type your own damn term papers!" :D

I still type fast. But I make a LOT of mistakes.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I have never seen anyone type as fast as my sister. She never looked at the typewriter at all and she would know if she made a mistake. She would backspace and correct it without missing a beat and without looking at the document in the typewriter.

Sep 16, 2019
Brigantine
He was in full uniform and new to the case. His police car was parked at the tower when we were leaving. He was still in the woods. He had been transferred to the area and was new to the case and I believe he said he had read the reposts and he told us Barry had been lost before. You need to ask his hunting buddies about that.
I appreciate all your questions and input, i really do, however both the gentlemen I interviewed for Episode 3 were his hunting buddies. There is no way you “listened”. That makes it difficult to keep responding and repeating myself.

Sep 16, 2019
Brigantine
Any consideration been given to Mr Zeldin just leaving to create a new life elsewhere? Leaving all those belonging's in his truck might indicate he does not want to be found. Anyone else in his circle of friends also gone? Was he on social security?
In Episode 1 we cover that, unless he had a secret pile of cash stashed away nobody knew about he did that with the clothes on his back that day and no vehicle. He was receiving his benefits. He had sold his pretzel business and was living comfortably off the proceeds and his benefits however the last $140 he took out of his existing bank accounts was still sitting on the center console of the blazer. He had a 34’ Boston Whaler he was making payments on so he must have had decent cash flow he left behind.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
In Episode 1 we cover that, unless he had a secret pile of cash stashed away nobody knew about he did that with the clothes on his back that day and no vehicle. He was receiving his benefits. He had sold his pretzel business and was living comfortably off the proceeds and his benefits however the last $140 he took out of his existing bank accounts was still sitting on the center console of the blazer. He had a 34’ Boston Whaler he was making payments on so he must have had decent cash flow he left behind.

Perhaps he did have a stash. Unless he had joint accounts with someone, no one except the authorities would accurately know now. Nor would anyone know if his SS benefits had been transferred. That boat carries a 6 figure price tag regardless of the year and does not include the fuel and maintenance costs, perhaps a good reason to walk away from it. The authorities cannot provide any information about someone if that person has directed them not to, perhaps that is why they appear to be uncooperative to you.

I worked with a guy that left for vacation, never to be seen again. Two of his credit cards were used several months after he left, then nothing until many years later he made a request for his pension benefits to the company. People sometimes do things that seem strange to others.

Sep 16, 2019
Brigantine
Perhaps he did have a stash. Unless he had joint accounts with someone, no one except the authorities would accurately know now. Nor would anyone know if his SS benefits had been transferred. That boat carries a 6 figure price tag regardless of the year and does not include the fuel and maintenance costs, perhaps a good reason to walk away from it. The authorities cannot provide any information about someone if that person has directed them not to, perhaps that is why they appear to be uncooperative to you.

I worked with a guy that left for vacation, never to be seen again. Two of his credit cards were used several months after he left, then nothing until many years later he made a request for his pension benefits to the company. People sometimes do things that seem strange to others.
2 best days owning a boat right? The police seized Janets cell phone shortly before the proceedings to declare him dead in absentia. They showed up at her home with a warrant and took it to process it, they then returned it and went through with the process. I always wondered if that was SOP or if they had suspicions. Nobody knows from our team. He hasn’t touched any of his known bank accounts or used any credit cards since 10/7/13. The Boat was eventually sold by Smith’s Marina when Janet asked them to help. They had no previous experiences selling boats and did it as a favor for her. She actually had a pretty funny line for them, she said “i know Barry was an asshole but he was my asshole”. Who knows? It’s certainly been accomplished before.

Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
One point that is dwelled upon in Episode 1 and mentioned elsewhere, is that it appeared to be out of the ordinary for Zeldin to have left the dog in the truck when he went into the woods. As I hunter, and also a man who also takes his dog everywhere, I would never take my dog into an area that I was going to hunt. I don't bait but I hunt areas where I run my dog nightly. During hunting season, my dog is run on the dirt roads and I have never taken him near a stand that I hunt.

Dogs and deer are not friends in the natural world. A rambling, unleashed dog leaves behind loads of detectable (by deer) scents including feces, urine, shampoo (if it's a lap dog) and pad scent. Deer in remote areas of the pines such as this are even more wary of canine scent since domestic dogs are canines and so are coyotes. The only domestic dogs those pines deer might have ever met would have been the occasional pack of not-so-deer-proof fox hounds. If Zeldin was truly a skilled hunter, he would not have taken the dog with him to check or bait a stand, in my opinion.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Good point Scott. I'll add that those little lap type of dogs used to being in the home are out of place in the woods. They are awkward and fragile in our piney woods.

You may find it hard to believe but I was a little wise ass when I was a kid and I had a penchant for breaking things. I thought the carriage return was cool and I used to press it all the time on my older sister's typewriter because it made such a quick movement and loud noise. Then, I broke the typewriter. After getting punched by my sister and smacked around the house by my father, just for good measure, I finally left her typewriter alone.

It's probably why I never learned to type over the rest of my adult life. Ironically, my sister typed all of my papers in college and at work, I hand write everything and have the secretaries type it. To this day, all of my typing is done with just a few fumbly fingers.
:)

not at all "hard to believe"

Reactions: RednekF350