Bass River Fire Tower proposal

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
PA is building new towers for $300,000 each. A new tower in NJ apparently costs $480,000. And somehow, I suspect it won't be manned by a "volunteer" either. :D

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
And somehow, I suspect it won't be manned by a "volunteer" either.

Who mans it does not effect the cost to build it, nor the ongoing expense to operate it as it is manned now. Apparently, PA saw what was to be a savings turn into higher expense for the ongoing costs of fire detection without using the towers.

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
What are "kig group parks funds" ?
The open space question on ballot few years back. all pushed by keep it green group but they left out how by voting yes would take the funds from parks and give it to them instead.i believe it was 80 million dollars per year.

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
The open space question on ballot few years back. all pushed by keep it green group but they left out how by voting yes would take the funds from parks and give it to them instead.i believe it was 80 million dollars per year.
Not sure exactly how much it was but it was the funds for maintenance for state parks.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We probably should all vote no on everyone of those questions. They seem to always bite us in the ass.

Reactions: Piney4life

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I see a question for a $500 million bond act in this next election. If I recall correctly (without google's help), the Whitman administration started us on the road to being a debtor state due to the very same thing. I fail to understand how that lesson has not been learned.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Summary: At this Friday's 3/8 Pinelands Commission meeting, the re-submitted DEP application to clear trees that are blocking the fire tower visibility will be heard, with public comments.

What's in the revised application is apparently secret until Friday, but it would not surprise me if it has the same tree clearing as before, but with the addition of something like installation of experimental cameras on the tower to study their feasibility.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
What a difference a year makes. I thought last May that the best solution would be to leave the trees, and install the first security camera. I had said that to stay roughly on the fence about it, like I did with the pipeline down in South Jersey--I could never muster up the anger enough to oppose it. It seemed innocuous to me. Now, with the trees by the fire tower, I have no strong emotions either way. Change is inevitable. It's not like they plan to build on the property. Natives will take over.

Reactions: Boyd