bay days

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
What beautiful photos! My favorite has to be the one with the gull-flickering sky, creaming waves, and deserted crabshell. But the last scene is impressive too, awash with portent. Such a pleasant walk . . . to start with!

Thanks also, Al, for the blow-by-blow narrative that's so lively I felt I was there.

I'm glad you two plus three made it back okay!

Glo

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
As I tried in vain to swim with an arm wrapped around each dog and the wallowing through bottomless mud trying to reach the solid but knee deep flooded road I thought to myself.'You are much too damn old for this"Perhpas my lab will return the favor someday.I doubt it,that Lassie stuff is all Hollywood.

Reactions: dogg57 and glowordz

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You really need to be more prepared the next time. That could have been disastrous.

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
I can't believe what we experienced was a close-to-normal tide.

Amazing how, in a matter of moments, an outing can transform from pure tranquility ... to fun and excitement ... to potential disaster.

This wasn't unlike anything Alfie and I have handled before (high water and storms have been encountered often), but the safety of the dogs put an additional equation to the situation. We were only a mere thirty yards from a safe return to my truck when two of the three pups were taken by the stream current. Alfie reacted instantaneously, tossing me his gear and valuables. He's like a fish in water and went flopping downstream after the pups. I'd grabbed Sparky before he got sucked downstream as he was aiming to purposely follow -- sprinting him and all our gear to my truck. In the minute I was gone, Alfie had removed the dogs from the flow.

I'm thinking he probably saved Buddy's life.

IMG_3564_Paintings.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He sure is. When the going gets tough (except around ants), you want Al with you.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Ants bring out my feminine side:)
I will prepare better next time Guy.Tide tables are in order along with an up to date weather forecast.I am not normally afraid of lightening and no how to generally stay out of danger even when caught in a bad storm.Stay away from big trees,keep a low profile,stay away from metal,even doing this I almost got knocked out by hail once and only holding a life jacket over my head saved me from getting brained.The fact we were over a ahlf mile from any semblance of a dry place to stand when the storm rushed upon us is what had me scared.I don't think I let Bill hear the fear,at least I hope he didn't.I do know he heard it when I seen our collective dogs wash away in the dark.Fear for the dogs anyway,at least I forgot all about the lightening temporarily.I imagine my Lab would have saved herself but Buddy may have been fish food.I thank Bill for not letting Sparky crawl up my back and otherwise complicate an already complicated rescue operation.Three dogs may have done me in.
By the way Bill I actually like the photographic effect.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
IMG_4750.jpg

Been a long time, but I'm still doing the routine Sea Breeze runs, with the dogs, sometimes with the dawg (Alfie), sometimes alone. I went alone this evening.

IMG_4683.jpg

Sandy, ya know.

IMG_4717.jpg

Sea Breeze was ravaged in the storm. But I guess it's not as hard to take, because most of the folks are long gone.

IMG_4724.jpg

This was the baytown's prime location a while back.

I was sad to see NOTHING but shambles at the location of the Marine station, and of the house directly behind it. I'll keep it upbeat and show the structures as they recently were, or as what they now aren't...

breeze1-1.jpg

See ya on the bayside.

Reactions: John

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Seems access to my favorite bay location is no longer a sure thing. Tidal flooding along the road to Sea Breeze last [foggy] weekend forced a truck u-float. We've dealt with high water along this stretch of road before, but this was the 1st time I've been turned around.

sIMG_5477_zpse22a4503.jpg

Other days
sIMG_5461_zps09f08c27.jpg

sIMG_5439_zps06aec327.jpg

Husted's Landing
IMG_5412a_zpsde7f7f8e.jpg

Reactions: glowordz