bay days

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Sea Breeze on ice.

1535683_10201427897604382_931287567_n_zpsbc8e935a.jpg

The dogs decided they'd give an ice-top woof-hoof to Delaware a go. They said they will call us when they get there.

1623735_10201424510319702_1414972123_n_zpseb0d4cec.jpg

Reactions: John

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
three houses just before you get to the beach,one is lived in and then down the private drive (sea breeze west) there are a few more lived in houses.the whole main part of town the beach strip is gone

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Thanks. I was thinking about making a visit, but then I read an article that mentions the potential for getting trapped because of the main road regularly being under water during high-tide. The last thing I'd want to get out to the beach and find my return access has been blocked. Does this really happen or was I reading incorrectly?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
the road does flood every high tide.It is blacktop so soft mud is not a problem.You can check your tide charts and go at low tide if you wish but as long as you don't go on a monster full/new moon tide you should be alright.Go slow so salt water don't splash up under your vehicle.It corrodes the hell out of any metal it gets on.You should not get stuck,now once the road corrodes and becomes a mud hole like Moores Beach Road.You missed the bay being frozen.went out last night and still massive blocks of ice laying up on the beach and small bergs floating in the bay but the great ice floes were gone.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Well, I've always wanted to visit Sea Breeze after 1st learning about the town from this site. Today, I knocked that off my bucket list. It was a nice day for the wife and I to take the drive. The only thing I should have done differently is worn different foot wear, so we could have ventured past the barricades onto the beach on that side. It wasn't the end of the world, as we got onto the beach from the other side-road in that same area. I'll definitely be doing this trip again the in the summer months.

I suck with pictures and have no patience for the great narratives that you guys do when posting pictures, nor do I probably have them in order, but here they are nonetheless. On second thought, there's over 50-pictures I took and I'm thinking that it's going to bog-down those with a slow connection, so I'll try to attach a link to where the pictures can be seen. Let see if this works.

http://s146.photobucket.com/user/this_is_nascar/slideshow/Sea Breeze 02-01-2014/Small

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton

Another take from last weekend's freeze.

Judging by your roadway photo, and the water level, you must have visited Sea Breeze before noon, Nascar? We were there slightly after twelve. Next time there, try to time the low tide and head down-bay on Beach Ave (it's still drivable if one scoots around the barricade, and an easy walk otherwise). It's rather nice after the road stops; there are many images on this thread from this section. Here's a take today overlooking the area I'm talking about (the tide is still on the high side) ...

Quite a change from last week's take (the top photo on this page), but Sea Breeze changes with every visit. I noticed today that the freeze took a monster toll on the crumbling wall along Beach Ave. The sooner that totally deteriorates, the better ...

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton

Back to Sea Breeze, weekly, whether I want to or not. The dogs insist upon going.

Looking upbay toward SB from a downbay location accessible during low tide,

A rare trip to the pines, last weekend. Cedar thruway ...

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I've just been informed by Bill that they have cleaned up thompson and moores beaches and that the gun emplacements from world war 2 have been ripped up and are gone as well as the house remains.The government either has no respect for history or ar totally ignorant of it.those gun emplacements gurded the bay coast from German U boats.even if they saw no action they we're still historic.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton

I captured this image walking back to Moore's Beach yesterday. Memories of our last trip out there, reported earlier on this thread, were fresh, as Al and I had got caught in a severe tide and storm and nearly lost a couple of dogs in the process. Since, the road from the mainland through to the bay has been improved and, though we walked from the mainland, several cars drove out to the bay when we were there. A parking lot is at the bay now. A clean-up effort has been in process as much in the way of town remains that were there the previous visit are now gone. The gun emplacement Al mentions in his post above has vanished, though it is possible the elements took it. Here's a photo of the emplacement at Sea Breeze, which took a nasty hit due to the ice. The tides will steal it.

I only drove to the observation tower at Thompson's Beach, but a road has been rebuilt from the tower out to the bay. There is a huge government sign there announcing a clean-up procedure in process. The road to the bay is gated. A few cars were parked in the lot at the tower, with no folks around, so these folks almost surely had hiked out to Thompson's. I'd like to revisit the bay there soon.

A quick stop by the East Point beacon was made before heading home. The light was nice.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
What say anybody? Think amf is right? Kinda odd that all of them are on the beach instead of back in the dune where the houses actually set.I guess it's a possibility.Also odd the one at Seabreeze sets right next to the old marine barracks.I"ll see what I can come up with.