bay days

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Whip
Is anyone at all left on the beach side strip shown in the first photo?How about anyone at all?The last time I was there there seemed to be hangers on on the left as you pulled up to the beach and then the people way off to the righ whose driveway is next to the owl tree.Is the state going to force people to leave?Are they buying the properties of those who left or are they just setting back and letting the bay take it and making them take a loss?
Al

No one remains on the beach side-strip (Beach Avenue) shown in the first photo. The state bought these folks out. I'm sure the entire strip is presently under the jurisdiction of the DEP. On the main drag into town there remains at least one residence in use. As of a few weeks ago there were three. One of these residents I met (details in post #110), but he was burning up his personal belongings in his back yard and hinted at moving out soon. He claimed the vandals taking care of business on Beach Ave were also helping themselves to his property and belongings, and that he'd had enough. The folks that have the private drive access from the east of town leading to the houses further north, which you inquired about, are still there. This beach doesn't seem to suffer from the same level of serious erosion as does the strip area. If the state no longer maintains the Sea Breeze access road, Schoolhouse Lane, through the marsh, where it floods during most high tides, I can see the north folks also abandoning ship soon. Possibility of access will surely be denied by Mother Nature. (These properties and their "private" access road have always been and remain heavily posted with No Trespassing signs.)

I don't think the state forced anybody to leave. The resident I spoke to said he'd "turned down the deal," but he was located a few hundred feet off-bay. The folks on the strip had no hope of protection without a continuous, losing, expensive battle at the expense of taxpayers.

Yet, there is still a board-posting attached to one of the houses on the strip; its wording blames the state for abandoning the community. A no-win situation.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
While I feel for those losing their properties I certainly don't feel it's the rest of our responsibilities to keep fighting rising sea levels for their benefit.Just like all those communities on our barrier islands.Those were never meant to be built on.They make a jetty to replenish sand and on the other side it eats it away even faster.Those islands were meant to move and offshore sandbars to replace them.One day they will accessing the AC casionos by boat and helicopter.I can't wait.I was 12 years old when they started gambling in AC and was PO'ed then knowing even at that young age that they meant more people moving in and tearing up more woods.Look how much of Ocean county they turned into residential areas before the pineland comission halted the runaway expansion.I know I'm ranting and I know you work in AC but seriously if I'm here long enough I won't be sorry to see it go and with it much incentive to tear up the Barrens.
Alfie

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
more shootin' the breeze

sIMG_6863.jpg

sIMG_6860.jpg

sIMG_6861.jpg

sIMG_6826.jpg

sIMG_6828.jpg

sIMG_6837.jpg

sIMG_6839.jpg

sIMG_6802.jpg

sIMG_6804.jpg

sIMG_6816.jpg

sIMG_6820.jpg

sIMG_6768.jpg

sIMG_6774.jpg

sIMG_6777.jpg

sIMG_6783.jpg

sIMG_6755-1.jpg

sIMG_6751.jpg

sIMG_6784.jpg

sIMG_6795.jpg

sIMG_6810.jpg

sIMG_6731.jpg

sIMG_6848.jpg

z-1.jpg

zIMG_6806.jpg

sIMG_6773.jpg

166275_1587818660381_1383256389_31538170_6620178_n.jpg

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
It's a good thing you're doing, Whip, recording these sights. Each time is different, and each time you find interesting details to share. I like the textures in this set: alligatored glass, grained wood, pebbled plaster, and a dozen more I can't properly describe.

Most lovely: the octagonal window, looking out at rippling grasses.

Most mysterious: the last shot, a somber house with the suggestion of light in one window, framed by dark trees and the brooding sea beyond.

Most touching: the gray-on-white, next to last. It reminds me of the pencil sketches in a child's history book, fragile with distance. There's an inexorable sadness about it, as if Sea Breeze has already been reduced to a memory.

I wonder what effect the coastal storms will have . . .

Glo

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I like the second one Bill. I can hear the buzz of time as I look through the screen of brush at the shack.

I spent the last 5 weeks in Dallas and northwestern Louisiana (Piney Hill Country they call it). A photographer's paradise if their forte is shacks, inhabited or not. Some of those still inhabited were much worse than those abandoned.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
The second pic down is the shack I gave coords to earlier in the thread.by the aerials it appears to have been built between 40 and 53.the cellar holes neareby were already residences in 31 and appear to have fallen down after 63 and before 72. the other house posted I have no idea when it was built or abandoned.two chimneys one at each end are still up but one chimney was lying on the ground broken into sections at the northen edge of the house.maybe surrounded by an outbuilding at one time?

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Sea Breeze under snow seems to put on its best face. The trees and branches and snow-swept seawall are especially beautiful.

The last two photos are remarkable!

I’m surprised that Minnette allowed you to see her, Whip, much less take her picture. You must have whipped out that camera in a flash.

Rumor has it (she didn’t tell me this part) that she and her owner’s family used to live on the Montclaire homestead. It’s near the big brown ruin in photo #4.

Because her owner was sickly, the family moved into the brown-shingled house at Sea Breeze, hoping that the bracing sea air and lovely views would be healthful.

Minnette told me that the first time she walked along that beach, she vowed she would stay forever.

As we all know, the sad day came in which the family had to pack up and leave, and many tears were shed when Minnette was nowhere to be found.

She must have discovered a hiding place in that house. I would never ask, of course, but I wonder where it is.

Thank you, Whip! Perhaps on your next visit, you will persuade Minnette to talk to you. Oh, the stories she could tell!

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Sea Breeze under snow seems to put on its best face. The trees and branches and snow-swept seawall are especially beautiful...

I’m surprised that Minnette allowed you to see her, Whip, much less take her picture...

Perhaps on your next visit, you will persuade Minnette to talk to you. Oh, the stories she could tell!

Glo

She whispered something in my ear as I passed this time, Gloria. Minnette offered her thoughts about having a story to share, and added that you would be the perfect person to put it in words for all to sea ...

IMG_7123_Painting.jpg

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
sbIMG_7181.jpg

My wife (no, that's not Alfie) and our dog joined me for a brisk Tuesday walk along the bay in Sea Breeze.
sIMG_7200.jpg

It relaxes me when I look at the photographs from my trips to the bay, then again as I attempt to recreate these in a way that match the mood of the day.

sIMG_7258.jpg

outside of town

sIMG_7182.jpg

inside

bbbIMG_6348_Painting.jpg

sgIMG_7181_Painting.jpg

aab-2.jpg

sIMG_7195.jpg

sIMG_7192_Painting.jpg

aaa-7.jpg

sIMG_7208.jpg

sIMG_7235.jpg

low tide

sIMG_7199_Painting.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Me and Pea were there a few days ago.The bulkhead appears to be fairly new and in good shape.I have no idea why they gave up on the place ,many of the houses are still in very good condition except for damage done by vandals.What was the concern here?The road in?They appear to have been holding off the bay successfully.I guess the bay circled around and caught em in the rear?
Alfie

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Me and Pea were there a few days ago.The bulkhead appears to be fairly new and in good shape.I have no idea why they gave up on the place ,many of the houses are still in very good condition except for damage done by vandals.What was the concern here?The road in?They appear to have been holding off the bay successfully.I guess the bay circled around and caught em in the rear?
Alfie

The seawall is badly damaged, Alfie. In some places it has completely collapsed (as evidenced in several photos). One can see where erosion resulting from the bay churning beneath the entire wall will lead to its imminent total collapse. The bulkhead had been in place a year (hardly) when it started revealing structural flaws. (I've read somewhere that not enough understructure support was planned for in the designing of the wall.)

I suspect the road in was of concern, but not the main issue at hand when the we've-done-all-we-can-do decision was made.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
are the people that live just past the private road before you get to the beach strip out now too?When me and pea were there last month people were parked at a house on the left across from the small house on right with porch sofa.a few days ago no one was there.would like to know what the statys is of the houses up the private road.
Alfie
ps
went walking up a trail off of school house road and found a nice vernal swamp i was telling you about and a real nice peninsula of high ground with open beech and holly woods reminiscent of the Bear swamp but trees not as large.trail takes you to edge of marsh but no view due to high reeds.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Sorry. But if I don't do these all at once, when the day is still warm, they'd never get done.

I'd promised myself to not shoot a photo during my trip to Sea Breeze today. My intention was to sit down there in the solitude and read the final pages of a wonderful book. Next time I'll know better to leave my camera at home.

Wish I could lay some music I carried with me today as a backdrop to these. This would be an ignored but freakin' gorgeous choral piece composed by a Danish guy named Joep Franssens. I made the mistake and let my kids listen to the same this evening while picking them up after an athletic event. I was ridiculed. My oldest said, "Dad. That sounds like music for somebody that's almost dead. Not quite." Had to smile. How about for a waning bay-side community?

Thanks for looking.

aaIMG_7310.jpg

IMG_7269.jpg

IMG_7275.jpg

IMG_7280.jpg

IMG_7277.jpg

IMG_7283.jpg

IMG_7284.jpg

IMG_7298.jpg

IMG_7295.jpg

IMG_7291.jpg

IMG_7304.jpg

IMG_7306.jpg

IMG_7305.jpg

IMG_7309.jpg

IMG_7314.jpg

IMG_7324-1.jpg

IMG_7326.jpg

IMG_7327.jpg

IMG_7339.jpg

IMG_7351.jpg

IMG_7370.jpg

IMG_7373.jpg

IMG_7375.jpg

IMG_7381.jpg

IMG_7393.jpg

IMG_7403.jpg

IMG_7405.jpg

IMG_7409.jpg

IMG_7418.jpg

IMG_7422.jpg

IMG_7426.jpg

IMG_7427.jpg

IMG_7431.jpg

IMG_7432.jpg

IMG_7433.jpg

IMG_7435.jpg

IMG_7439.jpg

IMG_7440.jpg

IMG_7441.jpg

IMG_7444.jpg

IMG_7445.jpg

IMG_7446.jpg

IMG_7449.jpg

IMG_7452.jpg

IMG_7453.jpg

IMG_7454.jpg

IMG_7455.jpg

IMG_7456.jpg

IMG_7461.jpg

IMG_7467.jpg

IMG_7482.jpg

IMG_7487.jpg

IMG_7492.jpg

zzIMG_7490.jpg

zIMG_7312.jpg

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Bill, I'm glad you made the mistake of taking your camera along. I have never been to Sea Breeze but I have visited the place many times!

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
I'm thinking that a book will wait, but this disintegration continues its funereal progress.

It seems that even Minnette has left, but perhaps she will surprise you some day by appearing once again.

Each time, you capture something of note, and each time, you balance the despairing rubble with vistas of shore and sea. The next-to-last photo is a prime example.

I especially like the shots taken through translucent filters and small openings such as doors and windows. Perhaps they reflect our own veiled and narrow perspectives on life.

Thank you, Whip, for going back!

Glo

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
found three beautiful new islands today,the last one covered in green lichen with a large two entrance snake den
and a sign that said we'll be out to play in three or four weeks.Heard one very cold peeper singin for his sweet thang at 39 degrees.
Alfie

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I see this place, read the particulars, see all the wonderful photos, and still just don't believe it.
I refuse to actually.
Most of this little community just looks like a turn key away from waking right up.
It is actually disturbing, as though you can still hear the voices of the folks walking away after leaving the front door open and just saying "so long".
Like something off the set of some "B" movie about the world moving on.
It is actually the wizardry of all you photo dudes that brings this to life. Many thanks, disturbed or not.

g.