bay days

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
It's beginning to look like Sea Breeze might be left for nature to claim. I wish a major storm had taken her before folks had fun ravaging the bay community. Yet Chase put it well in words on another thread. With all the sad things going on along the abandoned shore, there are also beautiful sights to be found. I wonder if the residents ever go back.

aIMG_8458.jpg

aaIMG_8468_Painting.jpg

IMG_8474.jpg

aIMG_8461.jpg

aIMG_8459.jpg

IMG_8476.jpg

IMG_8492.jpg

IMG_8467.jpg

IMG_8465.jpg

IMG_8483.jpg

IMG_8481.jpg

IMG_0877.jpg

IMG_0835.jpg

IMG_0879.jpg

IMG_8453.jpg

IMG_8499.jpg

IMG_0896.jpg

IMG_0912.jpg

IMG_8449.jpg

IMG_0951_Painting.jpg

IMG_0861_Painting.jpg

Reactions: Bachman's Ivory

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
Wonderful contrasts here, Whip, bracketed by mobile cloud peaks at the beginning
and a static roof peak at the end.

I like:

—the complex colors and shapes of the floats, set into a simple arch

—the fading, transitory frog-image, pinned to venerable, velvet-crusted bark

—the glowing wild flowers to cheer the gloom of fractured glass

—the inert basket and blocks beside the ever-breathing, swelling sea . . .

Thank you for noticing these treasures and sharing them with us.

Glo

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
The word "melancholy" comes to mind when viewing these pictures. Especially the second to last; with the debris strewn beach, the Salem stack in the far distance... and one lone visitor.

I agree, Bill... "It's time."

John-

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Great pics Whip. I'm enjoying(?) looking at these but on the other hand can't help but think about what was and possibly could have been with this village. As Bachman said, it's nice to know that the land will still be accessible to be enjoyed.

On a side note for all who should visit here: In the 2nd pic of the current set of photos there's a pale green house with an orange "X" spray painted on it. Please use extreme caution if you enter this, or any building with an "X". The "X" is for emergency personel responding in, and it lets them know not to enter the dwelling due to unsafe conditions.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Hadn't seen that until now. I guess that answers the question as to the future of Sea Breeze. What a tragedy. The government spends a sh*tload of my money on replenishing the "Jersey Shore" each year. I'd have no problem if they would have diverted some of those funds to help these people. Thanks for posting this link.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Hadn't seen that until now. I guess that answers the question as to the future of Sea Breeze. What a tragedy. The government spends a sh*tload of my money on replenishing the "Jersey Shore" each year. I'd have no problem if they would have diverted some of those funds to help these people. Thanks for posting this link.

I'm not sure there is anything that could have been done to save Sea Breeze. I agree with the commentary in the video stating that the wall constructed there is a joke. But, without being an expert, simply being at Sea Breeze during a normal high tide is intimidating. One cannot help but sense extreme vulnerability, that it's only matter of time before the town becomes nature's claim.

A reworked photo ...

IMG_9237forum.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There are quite a few along there that are venerable. This state has been very lucky over the past 50 years but when I was a kid my relatives in Reeds Beach were always repairing their home from damage. One good hurricane and that town will be gone.

My mom may have photo's from the time my dad and brother spent there fixing my grandparents house. My uncle may also. The place was a mess.

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Beach Avenue has been razed.

We took our dogs (Sparky has been ours for less than a week; he is a 3-month old Lab pup, closely related to Alfie's Sophie, and a future bushwacker) down to the bay for a walk. Eerie on the marsh-road approach not seeing the dwellings on the horizon. The few remaining residents there on the road into Sea Breeze are moving out as well. The 50+-year resident in the final photo was loading up his pickup with household items, but stopped to talk.

IMG_1611.jpg

IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1627.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1620.jpg

IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1630.jpg

Still standing.

IMG_1631.jpg

IMG_1641.jpg

The bay will take these.

IMG_1643.jpg

IMG_1646.jpg

IMG_1650.jpg

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Every time I look at these pictures I think to myself, that if one of those house were mine, I'd have to burn it down rather than continue to watch it get vandalized and deteriorated like this.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks for the update Bill. I wish you well with your dog.

Not trying to hijack the thread. This town had a similar thing happen to them in 1942 in England. The town was taken over by the government to train American soldiers and they were told they could come back in 6 months. Today, it is still abandoned and visitors are allowed in once a year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...bandoned-World-War-II-gets-visitors-year.html

Guy