bay days

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Looking at these photos actually get all the senses working. As you look through them you can also hear waves lapping the shoreline, reeds rustling in the wind, a lone Gull calling in the distance and the sand crunching under your feet. You can smell and taste the salt air. You can feel the warmth going away and the chill coming on as the sun sets. Thanks for the trip Bill and the other photographers that share their trips on this site.

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
I was down there a couple of weeks back, great place for photos. I don't know if you noticed, but along the toe of the old seawall there are a lot of young oysters that have taken hold. Maybe it will become the Seabreeze Memorial Oyster Reef after the state bulldozes the town.

amf

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
So it has come to this: wood warped, paint peeling, glass splintered, homes deserted, marsh encroaching.

And Mercator lies discarded with rusted nails. That charred page of history seems a fitting symbol of Sea Breeze in its desolation.

But gulls still soar and splendid golden vistas of clouds and sea remain, lifting the heart.

Thank you, Whip, for girding this glimpse of sad reality . . . with hope.

Glo

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Declining Breeze

One feels compelled to keep going back.

sIMG_5736.jpg

sIMG_5739.jpg

sIMG_5743.jpg

sIMG_5748.jpg

sIMG_5749.jpg

sIMG_5760.jpg

sIMG_5761-1.jpg

sIMG_5762.jpg

sIMG_5772-1.jpg

sIMG_5774.jpg

sIMG_5776.jpg

sIMG_5777.jpg

sIMG_5788.jpg

sIMG_5816.jpg

One of the last. He has sad stories to tell.

sIMG_5808.jpg

zsIMG_5716.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Super Bill....just super-duper photo's. I like the perspective in the first one. Very well composed. And the reeds and sunset (2nd from bottom) actually made me squint as if the sun would hurt my eyes.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
i like the mirror shot best.threw me for a loop for a second.
who is the man at the bonfire? a resident? youse have a conversation?Are they being condemned and ran out or is the government letting the bay do their dirty work slowly as sea level rises?
Alfie

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
i like the mirror shot best.threw me for a loop for a second.
who is the man at the bonfire? a resident? youse have a conversation?Are they being condemned and ran out or is the government letting the bay do their dirty work slowly as sea level rises?
Alfie

Alfie,

We talked with the gentleman quite a bit. He's lived in Sea Breeze since he was a child. With respect to his privacy I won't post much of what he said here, but I can tell you he is one heartbroken man. He and two other residences are holding fort on the lane heading into town. Bob, the gentleman in the photo, is at the end of his rope. Besides what the bay is going to destroy, it kills him to see what the vandals are doing to his lifelong community. They're stripping it clean, burnt down the house in the photo in my previous post, and are otherwise trashing the place. Bob has had trouble with the same vandals himself at the property he resides. As far as I know, he might have moved out as soon as today. It was hard not to shed a tear listening to this resident lament last night ... his life history is being destroyed by nature, and vandals.

It is to my understanding that the state bought out all the folks on Beach Avenue. There was no hope in staying. The situation with the bay is dire. It is worse every time I visit. I went back again today and took the photograph below. See for yourself, Beach Avenue will soon be impassable. The high tide, which I experienced today, is most intimidating. Any major storm, I imagine, could deal the road and vacant houses a major blow.

IMG_5829s.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It makes the little problems and complaints I have seem trivial.

Guy

amf

Explorer
May 20, 2006
Swedesboro
Reportedly the state was supposed to have demolished the remaining houses (at least those not demolished by vandals) by now. Sad indeed - you could see they were folk's little slices of heaven. But the bay also gives - the debris of the seawall is covered with young oysters in many places, something that hasn't occurred in a while.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bill, in the first photo, are those flocks of birds in the far background?

I like how the reeds are in a lot of the photos....showing the inevitable....the future to come. And after that, the sea.

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
Thanks, Chase. Sea Breeze is a hop, skip & jump from home for me. I feel like I've been a small part of its history as I've visited the community my entire life. I plan to keep going back.

Bill, in the first photo, are those flocks of birds in the far background?

No birds. Here's the original take, Bob.

bbIMG_6350.jpg

I painted the photo attempting to create an atmosphere. Also, I've displayed photos from this same spot before. Distortions often occur when I make alterations. Guess it's a case of taking the good (I hope) with the bad.

It's amazing to see how quickly the wall and road are eroding.

Bill

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Whip
Is anyone at all left on the beach side strip shown in the first photo?How about anyone at all?The last time I was there there seemed to be hangers on on the left as you pulled up to the beach and then the people way off to the righ whose driveway is next to the owl tree.Is the state going to force people to leave?Are they buying the properties of those who left or are they just setting back and letting the bay take it and making them take a loss?
Al