Beer (again)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Beer is definitely an acquired taste. It took me a good year of forcing myself to drink it before I started liking it. :(

That is insane. So are you going to eat dog food for a year until you like that? Spending one second thinking about drinking beer is a waste of life.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That is insane. So are you going to eat dog food for a year until you like that? Spending one second thinking about drinking beer is a waste of life.

Guy

Well, you are entitled to your opinion Guy. But lets unpackage this a bit since you started to open it up. What kind of food do you eat? What is your favorite drink?

Oct 25, 2006
My four favorite American beers.

1) Yuengling Lager.

2) Pabst Blue Ribbon.

3) Genesee Cream Ale.

4) Budweiser.

Jim

ICANOE2

Explorer
Sep 30, 2007
Browns Mills
bobpbx,
If you would like to try some different styles of micro brewed beers, I suggest to you take a trip to Basil T's over in Toms River.
They are practically around the corner from you.
Once there you can get a sampler of their beer's, usually around 6 small 3-4oz glasses of their offerings. Maybe you will find a style you like or at least further your knowledge of beer.
They make great beer at Basil T's and the food is always excellent, although not cheap.:guinness:.............Mike

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
You all get too wrapped up in liquid that tastes like crap. Jessica gave me some Twisted Tea the other day and I almost puked. Tastes like all the beer she and my wife asked me to sample. All crap.

Guy

Not everybody likes the stuff. For me, I've always liked it. Used to steal sips from my Dad's ice-cold Buds during the summer when I was about 10 or so. I don't like stouts much, don't like wheat beer, or flavored beers. The ... (is it Miller?) "chelada style" ads make me shudder. In fact people putting lime in their Coronas makes me shudder. I like ales, and lagers.

But I also like hard cider, Mike's Hard Lime, and the big red wines like cabs and merlots, shiraz, chianti, etc.

I like rum, and single malt scotches. I even like a nice tawny port with a cigar. Cognac's good too.

Everclear and some other liquid is good.

I'd like to try absinthe.

Bob,
I think you would love the beer my kid drinks at school.
It's Lions Head Beer, made in Wilkes Barre. Clean and crisp.
$10.00 +/- a case and you can't beat it with a stick.
Here is a Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_Brewery,_Inc.
Notice what it says about Millersville U.
I will ask him to bring some home next week when he comes home for spring break. I will get it to you next time we meet.
Scott

Someone was just telling me about that the other day. I've got to try it.

Steve

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
Geez, so many replies in such a short time...just for beer! My kind of gang! I can see that my next "tour" is going to have to be a beer tour. We have, in this tri-state area, so many great microbreweries. No additives and no pasteurization, just good flavor. They offer a selection that will please everyone. My favorite bar recently installed a hand pump in addition to their ten taps. Now that's the way to drink beer.
Lynn
PS: Pinepaddler, just bought two cases of Brooklyn Brown Ale for $10 each.

Enoch

Scout
Apr 15, 2007
Camden County, NJ
The preference for one mass-produced beer over another has to mainly be connected with advertising and brand identity. There just isn’t that much difference. That said, I like Miller over Bud, and Pabst over Miller, and Rolling Rock over Pabst. But really there isn’t much difference; I think I like the advertising/bottle better, so the beer tastes better to me if its in a Pabst can than if its in a Bud can.

As for micro-brewed beers, they’ve managed to acquire an effete image, kind of like wine drinking. And they’re similar to wine, in that the styles and tastes vary so widely you have no idea what you’re referring to if you make a statement like “micro-brewed” beers. I don’t see how anyone could like them all, and if you like mass-produced beer there’s bound to be some style of micro-brew you’d like. It’s ironic that micro-brewed beers have acquired a highbrow image, because if you brew beer at home, it comes out a lot closer to micro-brew than Bud. I can’t imagine HOW you’d home brew Bud. But it’s simple to make great ales and wheats and porters in your own kitchen (but I don’t anymore because it’s easier to just go out and buy them now).

Drink what you like. Life’s too short. One of my favorite beers is called “bourbon”.

MuckSavage

Explorer
Apr 1, 2005
Turnersville
Bob,
I think you would love the beer my kid drinks at school.
It's Lions Head Beer, made in Wilkes Barre. Clean and crisp.
$10.00 +/- a case and you can't beat it with a stick.
Here is a Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lion_Brewery,_Inc.
Notice what it says about Millersville U.
I will ask him to bring some home next week when he comes home for spring break. I will get it to you next time we meet.
Scott

My nephew, who attends Rowan U. bought me a case of Lion's Head for Christmas. I have to agree. It's a pretty good beer. It's funny, I had a Christmas Party & served it. Everyone was in agreement that it was good. I buy it maybe evry 4th case now.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My nephew, who attends Rowan U. bought me a case of Lion's Head for Christmas. I have to agree. It's a pretty good beer. It's funny, I had a Christmas Party & served it. Everyone was in agreement that it was good. I buy it maybe evry 4th case now.

Hey Muck, is it available around here?
Scott