Beer (again)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by bobpbx, Mar 4, 2008.

1. pinelandpaddler

This may evolve into the most opinionated thread yet! :D

2. Teegate

Teegate Administrator
    Site Administrator

That is insane. So are you going to eat dog food for a year until you like that? Spending one second thinking about drinking beer is a waste of life.

Guy

3. pinelandpaddler

Why do you say that, Guy?

4. bobpbx

bobpbx Piney
    Staff Member

Well, you are entitled to your opinion Guy. But lets unpackage this a bit since you started to open it up. What kind of food do you eat? What is your favorite drink?

5. james ungehajer

My four favorite American beers.

1) Yuengling Lager.

2) Pabst Blue Ribbon.

3) Genesee Cream Ale.

4) Budweiser.

Jim

6. ICANOE2

ICANOE2 Explorer

bobpbx,
    If you would like to try some different styles of micro brewed beers, I suggest to you take a trip to Basil T's over in Toms River.
    They are practically around the corner from you.
    Once there you can get a sampler of their beer's, usually around 6 small 3-4oz glasses of their offerings. Maybe you will find a style you like or at least further your knowledge of beer.
    They make great beer at Basil T's and the food is always excellent, although not cheap.:guinness:.............Mike

7. Ben Ruset

Ben Ruset Administrator
    Site Administrator

Asparagus was also an acquired taste for me. Now I love it.

8. pinelandpaddler

Guy,

Do you think all beer tastes the same?

9. MarkBNJ

MarkBNJ Piney

Not everybody likes the stuff. For me, I've always liked it. Used to steal sips from my Dad's ice-cold Buds during the summer when I was about 10 or so. I don't like stouts much, don't like wheat beer, or flavored beers. The ... (is it Miller?) "chelada style" ads make me shudder. In fact people putting lime in their Coronas makes me shudder. I like ales, and lagers.

But I also like hard cider, Mike's Hard Lime, and the big red wines like cabs and merlots, shiraz, chianti, etc.

I like rum, and single malt scotches. I even like a nice tawny port with a cigar. Cognac's good too.

Everclear and some other liquid is good.

I'd like to try absinthe.

10. Sue Gremlin

Sue Gremlin Piney

Steve, have you made the pilgrimage to Pottsville to the Yuengling brewery? It's worth the trip. They give free samples at the end of the tour. :guinness:

11. BEHR655

BEHR655 Piney

I've never been served Hoegaarden with a lemon, only an orange. I request it served without. No need for it. As far as I know they are the same style.

Steve

12. BEHR655

BEHR655 Piney

Someone was just telling me about that the other day. I've got to try it.

Steve

13. BEHR655

BEHR655 Piney

Yes I have.:guinness:

14. lgench

lgench Explorer

Geez, so many replies in such a short time...just for beer! My kind of gang! I can see that my next "tour" is going to have to be a beer tour. We have, in this tri-state area, so many great microbreweries. No additives and no pasteurization, just good flavor. They offer a selection that will please everyone. My favorite bar recently installed a hand pump in addition to their ten taps. Now that's the way to drink beer.
    Lynn
    PS: Pinepaddler, just bought two cases of Brooklyn Brown Ale for $10 each.

15. Enoch

Enoch Scout

The preference for one mass-produced beer over another has to mainly be connected with advertising and brand identity. There just isn’t that much difference. That said, I like Miller over Bud, and Pabst over Miller, and Rolling Rock over Pabst. But really there isn’t much difference; I think I like the advertising/bottle better, so the beer tastes better to me if its in a Pabst can than if its in a Bud can.

As for micro-brewed beers, they’ve managed to acquire an effete image, kind of like wine drinking. And they’re similar to wine, in that the styles and tastes vary so widely you have no idea what you’re referring to if you make a statement like “micro-brewed” beers. I don’t see how anyone could like them all, and if you like mass-produced beer there’s bound to be some style of micro-brew you’d like. It’s ironic that micro-brewed beers have acquired a highbrow image, because if you brew beer at home, it comes out a lot closer to micro-brew than Bud. I can’t imagine HOW you’d home brew Bud. But it’s simple to make great ales and wheats and porters in your own kitchen (but I don’t anymore because it’s easier to just go out and buy them now).

Drink what you like. Life’s too short. One of my favorite beers is called “bourbon”.

16. MuckSavage

MuckSavage Explorer

My nephew, who attends Rowan U. bought me a case of Lion's Head for Christmas. I have to agree. It's a pretty good beer. It's funny, I had a Christmas Party & served it. Everyone was in agreement that it was good. I buy it maybe evry 4th case now.

17. pinelandpaddler

Where did you get that from??

18. RednekF350

RednekF350 Piney

Hey Muck, is it available around here?
    Scott

19. Phil from Philly

budwiser is the way to go when your drinking in the pines.

20. Ben Ruset

Ben Ruset Administrator
    Site Administrator

Well, remember that alcohol is prohibited in State Forests and WMA's, so you should not be drinking there.