Beer (again)

BobNJ1979

Explorer
May 31, 2007
my grandfather owned a liquor store, in pennsauken NJ.. it was right on maple ave.. called Knast Liquor store.. anyone remember it ?

I don't know if it was a good beer, or not.. but i remember he used to say that "Schmidts Beer", made in Camden, used to donate a lot of their beer to the local fire and police departments for their benefit parties, and BBQ's.. just a random story..

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
What does Blue Moon taste like anyway? I see it advertised at the local watering holes but I have never tried it.

my grandfather owned a liquor store, in pennsauken NJ.. it was right on maple ave.. called Knast Liquor store.. anyone remember it ?

I don't know if it was a good beer, or not.. but i remember he used to say that "Schmidts Beer", made in Camden, used to donate a lot of their beer to the local fire and police departments for their benefit parties, and BBQ's.. just a random story..

I drive by it all the time. Never been in it though.

Steve

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
It's sweet and flavored with coriander and orange. I consider it a dessert beer, too sweet to drink a lot of it.

Steve

I will have to give it a try. I also heard Flying Fish was another goodie. The one thing all these beers have in common is they all make great chasers to a double shot of Crown.

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
It (Blue Moon) is very drinkable, just don't let out the secret that it is brewed by Coors, as is Killian's Irish Red lager. Try to find Hoegaarden, now that's a drinker! There has to be a good beer selection down there somewhere besides the Tun Tavern in A.C. I am curious as to what The Pic has, maybe will check it out today.

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
What was that really dirt cheap Philly beer... was it Ortlieb's? I remember it was like $1.80 a sixpack. I say we talk about the worst beers.

Ortleib's- "try Joe's beer" who was this Joe character?
Hamm's "its skunked when its fresh"
Olympia- "its the water" so somebody should get a filtration system
Milwaukee's Beast- standard fraternity tub swill
Natural Light- light, airy, watery taste with a hint of beer flavor
Piels- only grab one when your hands are slimy from cutting up bait
Lord Chesterfield- Yuengling's screwup cousin- tar and feather his ass
Busch- not a bad beer actually
Golden Anniversary- what are we celbrating here?

thats my list of bad beers- I've drank them all when the funds were low.

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
I didnt start drinking beer until college and then up until about 6 years ago it really didnt mean much and I drank stuff like coors or bud. Then I discovered good beer, beer with not only taste but with potentially big complex multi taste. I discovered doubles and triples and stouts and porters and pilsner and many other great tasting, highly satisfying types of beer. I also discovered I like big beers, beer with monster taste and alcohol levels of 8-12%, beers where I rarely can ever drink more than 2.
I love going to brewpubs where I get to enjoy a freshly brewed beer or most likely 2 with a meal, I go on bus trips to groups of beer destinations that includes brewers and tap bars. I love beer festivals like the recent beer fest in Philly that had over 150 different beers to try and the ever popular NJ craft brew fest held every summer at the USS NJ.
Granted there is a place for the mundane beer like Bud and that is when your eating pizza as you dont wanna destroy the taste of a good beer when your taste buds had been assaulted by a bunch of pepperoni. I am kinda embarassed to add these but I added em up and I have 18 different beers in my basement fridge all waiting for a particular desire from me to be enjoyed, I shit you not.
Picture088.jpg

Picture087.jpg

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
Hey Bob I will have to let you know of our next pizza/pool/beer party.

Hey pine the Mendocino is ok, it was on sale so I bought a six like the pumpkin ales, I wouldnt buy a case of either.

On the other hand the Ramstein Winter Wheat and the Oscar Blues Ten Fidy are both fantastic ;-) Loved the Gearys Autumn also but the winter isnt so good :-(

Mar 10, 2008
Hi everyone, I'm new here. This beer thread caught my eye so I joined. oh, I like the pines, too. Never had the ten fiddy. I'm guessing they're referring to the original gravity. If so, that's not much for an imperial stout. Why not enjoy great nature with great beer the way nature intended it to be? ie no rice.

Nov 12, 2007
atlantic county
I didnt start drinking beer until college and then up until about 6 years ago it really didnt mean much and I drank stuff like coors or bud. Then I discovered good beer, beer with not only taste but with potentially big complex multi taste. I discovered doubles and triples and stouts and porters and pilsner and many other great tasting, highly satisfying types of beer. I also discovered I like big beers, beer with monster taste and alcohol levels of 8-12%, beers where I rarely can ever drink more than 2.
I love going to brewpubs where I get to enjoy a freshly brewed beer or most likely 2 with a meal, I go on bus trips to groups of beer destinations that includes brewers and tap bars. I love beer festivals like the recent beer fest in Philly that had over 150 different beers to try and the ever popular NJ craft brew fest held every summer at the USS NJ.
Granted there is a place for the mundane beer like Bud and that is when your eating pizza as you dont wanna destroy the taste of a good beer when your taste buds had been assaulted by a bunch of pepperoni. I am kinda embarassed to add these but I added em up and I have 18 different beers in my basement fridge all waiting for a particular desire from me to be enjoyed, I shit you not.
Picture088.jpg

Picture087.jpg

thats a nice looking fridge you got there can i come over?

Mar 10, 2008
That's an admirable collection, chris. I couldn't get mine to look that diverse if I tried, they seem to magically dissapper too fast. Unless I have a fresh batch of homebrew. It takes a while to drink 5 gallons of beer.